Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

those 964s just sound the business somehow different from 993 etc
Old 02-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Im still of the belief to really know a 911 you need to drive it fast in the wet. Once you can get confident in a 911 in the wet then you become a much better driver for it....

Some people just dont get the old aircooled cars. Ive offered up my keys to Richard Snow on more than one occasion as an example. He's never taken the offer.

Dougs had Cayenne S and Boxster for a number of years now. This is not only a first 911 but a first aircooled so it will take a little while to get adjusted.

Cant wait to drive with him out on track. It will add a whole new exciting dimension to his SITT. Hope you had a good head unit installed Dave!
The head unit is an all singing all dancing disco light show, I didn't like it and never used it. Longer term I would have swapped it out for an original just to bring the dash back to earth looks wise.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt38088
those 964s just sound the business somehow different from 993 etc
I agree, they seem to be gruff and bassy, kind of fits their character as chubby little mongrels...I often read that in terms of factory spec, the 964 was the best sounding.
I'd never heard mine drive by before last night when John and Doug were tearing up the neighbourhood. I researched the three options of cat delete, cup bypass and G pipe. Chose the cup bypass but I believe each option brings about a slightly different sound.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
I agree, they seem to be gruff and bassy, kind of fits their character as chubby little mongrels...I often read that in terms of factory spec, the 964 was the best sounding. I'd never heard mine drive by before last night when John and Doug were tearing up the neighbourhood. I researched the three options of cat delete, cup bypass and G pipe. Chose the cup bypass but I believe each option brings about a slightly different sound.
Interesting being a passenger as well, a different perspective. Couldn't help being the second set of eyes for Doug so he didn't prang it while getting used to throttle, gears etc. A lot of people peering over fences etc. It's not a car for the shrinking violet. The other thing I noticed was the stance when Doug was close to the end of the video. It looked hunkered down about to go to battle. A red stealth bomber. Can't wait to get some more multi car shots on the motorway and up to Cape Reinga. Not often four 964s travel together.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:16 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, they seem to be gruff and bassy, kind of fits their character as chubby little mongrels...I often read that in terms of factory spec, the 964 was the best sounding. I'd never heard mine drive by before last night when John and Doug were tearing up the neighbourhood. I researched the three options of cat delete, cup bypass and G pipe. Chose the cup bypass but I believe each option brings about a slightly different sound.
I'm freaking in love. Got half way up to Wellsford last night on SH12. Where I originally test drove the Cayenne in 2005, my first Boxster and my usual treck north.

Dave, your description above is so right.

It's only the 3rd air cooled 911 I've driven.... Paul's, Johns and mine :-)

I'm short of time right now but a few words to describe it
Smell. Different. Nice. Old school.
Heat- air con is not working and last night was hot. Thank goodness for the sunroof
No rattles. She is tight
Raspy raw sound
Highly geared. Goes for it.
Harder to heel and toe, pedal placement will take getting used to.
Endless pads are amazing but I think may be too hard.... Nothing to compare them to though
I need to learn to drive it. Worked at keeping power on in corners. When I can drive HD I the wet I know I will have learned how to drive this.
I rung it out a few times but treated it with respect, it's still technically Dave's. Smooth through the power band and down again
Lovely metallic sound that I've heard many enthusiasts describe. Now I know. Lovable
The body work is very good
Suspension firm. Looking forward to experimenting with settings in time
Very little air whistle or noise at speed with windows and sunroof closed. I was surprised how quiet it was through the air. Tested that at go to jail speed.
Nothing like the power through the range of the 295hp Boxster and much slower in my hands in the twisties highway... Shows what 25 years development can do. Requires more skill. Having tried to keep up with Macca I know what's possible.

And I love everything about it.... Off to CCS his morning to jack it up and look at the undersides (and to talk about air on fixes and SITT prep)
Old 02-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Maxem
Drifting

You don't need aircon for a track Rat Doug, it'll slow you down! Lovely creature comforts are for Cayenne drivers....
Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 PM
O2GO
Drifting

You don't need aircon for a track Rat Doug, it'll slow you down! Lovely creature comforts are for Cayenne drivers....
Ha ha. Righto
Old 02-10-2014, 03:08 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

The head unit is an all singing all dancing disco light show, I didn't like it and never used it. Longer term I would have swapped it out for an original just to bring the dash back to earth looks wise.
Disco Matt - who knew?!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I'm freaking in love. Got half way up to Wellsford last night on SH12. Where I originally test drove the Cayenne in 2005, my first Boxster and my usual treck north.

Dave, your description above is so right.

It's only the 3rd air cooled 911 I've driven.... Paul's, Johns and mine :-)

I'm short of time right now but a few words to describe it
Smell. Different. Nice. Old school.
Heat- air con is not working and last night was hot. Thank goodness for the sunroof
No rattles. She is tight
Raspy raw sound
Highly geared. Goes for it.
Harder to heel and toe, pedal placement will take getting used to.
Endless pads are amazing but I think may be too hard.... Nothing to compare them to though
I need to learn to drive it. Worked at keeping power on in corners. When I can drive HD I the wet I know I will have learned how to drive this.
I rung it out a few times but treated it with respect, it's still technically Dave's. Smooth through the power band and down again
Lovely metallic sound that I've heard many enthusiasts describe. Now I know. Lovable
The body work is very good
Suspension firm. Looking forward to experimenting with settings in time
Very little air whistle or noise at speed with windows and sunroof closed. I was surprised how quiet it was through the air. Tested that at go to jail speed.
Nothing like the power through the range of the 295hp Boxster and much slower in my hands in the twisties highway... Shows what 25 years development can do. Requires more skill. Having tried to keep up with Macca I know what's possible.

And I love everything about it.... Off to CCS his morning to jack it up and look at the undersides (and to talk about air on fixes and SITT prep)
Nice write up Doug. Thanks for reminding me

There is a lot to love and as Macca has already predicted there will be another one in my future (if Jason can hold off for another 12 months!!)

The smell, the sound and the sensation of ploughing through 3rd and 4th on a flowing road is epic.

Enjoy!!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Nice write up Doug. Thanks for reminding me There is a lot to love and as Macca has already predicted there will be another one in my future (if Jason can hold off for another 12 months!!) The smell, the sound and the sensation of ploughing through 3rd and 4th on a flowing road is epic. Enjoy!!
Pete, you need to move on. Or at least you should only come back when the 964 crew are lapping HD at 1.19.50 or better

Doug, obsession with air-con in a 964 is great for those taking your dollars but it is not a good system even when working as built, which doesn't seem to be often (it works in my Turbo 3.6). I'm going to take out my C4's compressor. I didn't hook the belt back up when I refitted the alternator. That's 5kg closer to C2 weight for me BTW My ECU is confirmed to be standard so there is more power up for grabs.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:43 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Double apex?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:01 PM
mjg
Pro

This is making me miss that car all the more... feeling a bit sad right now! Let me know if you ever want to move it on, Doug.

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
The brake system isn't highly vacuum boosted, so the pedal should feel very hard even with standard pads/fluid. That's a good thing, once you get used to it squishy pedals will feel awful. Allows for precise brake modulation, too. Feels different to the 964 C4, as that has a high pressure system tied in to the AWD control.

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Disco Matt - who knew?!
Blame the previous owner. I hated it. At least the one in the GT3 doesn't look as out of place (and I've figured out how to disable all the showy flashy crap).
Old 02-10-2014, 04:20 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Thanks Macca, very true words. Much more sound than the advice my high altitude, snow ridden brain can provide at the moment!

As an aside, all this talk of wheels makes me want to add a little more to my USA holiday bill. Hardest part is finding the right wheel for the 997. So many ugly after market examples out there. Hard to find photos of something that is well suited to a silver TT.
I'm thinking of some grey/graphite OZ leggeritas, I reakon that is a good look with the silver.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Maxem
Drifting

[QUOTE=mjg;11122423]This is making me miss that car all the more... feeling a bit sad right now! Let me know if you ever want to move it on, Doug.

Maybe we should give it a female name, because she's been around the Gruppe a bit hasn't she?
If that '64 was a girl, it would have a deep voice, big hands and probably still packin' meat.....

Last edited by Maxem; 02-13-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:48 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

La la la, la lola

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?