Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:40 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca, you back on the hot rock already?
send me yr email, (u too John et al) and I'll send you pricing I got on Pirelli and Bridgestone ex China FYI
Who's going to drive this idea of a few different tracks over 10 days or so, that has real merit. perhaps tie in with PCNZ?? That would get the numbers up to make it quite realistic for track hire costs perhaps
Anybody doing Uncles next week?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Phil. PM sent...
Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

A track tour is something I would definitely consider coming back for. A shame I can't do more of the Porsche group but I did spend the better part of the summer at HD so I won't complain.

I won't be doing any more competitive racing in my current car. After doing the NZFMR, which was very gentlemanly, the wear and tear on the car is just too much even in that format. I basically went through a set of pads, set of tires and chipped a lot of paint in 6 races.

Besides, it just looks funny out there with a license plate on it!

That said I've definitely been bitten by the racing bug. Next thing I would like to try is an endurance race. It's pricey for a ride but I think finishing a 12 or even 6 hour race would be something special.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:00 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
I won't be doing any more competitive racing in my current car. After doing the NZFMR, which was very gentlemanly, the wear and tear on the car is just too much even in that format. I basically went through a set of pads, set of tires and chipped a lot of paint in 6 races.
Sean - what is NZFMR?

Agree - the track does hammer your car. I have a mate give me **** all the time for making my car nice to then destroy on the track.

Track cars need to be dedicated beasts.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 04-26-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:04 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Hi, NZFMR= New Zealand Festival of Motor Racing.

Yeah it's a tricky balance keeping the car nice and also driving it like it was intended. Having a dedicated track monster sure would be nice. Preferably with a Turbo just to be completely insane!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:21 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John, sorry to ask this again (did search but on this third world connection very tedious to find data). I recall in an earlier post someone said some tyre brands were no longer available to export to nZ from tirerack.com. Does anyone remember which these were? Also John do you have an email addy for your UK supplier?

Cheers

Macca - this was the note I had from Tirerack...

Peter,
Thanks for your inquiry
Recently rules have changed governing shipments allowed by several tire manufacturers. Policies are now in place restricting products being exported Internationally.

Bridgestone, Continental, Dick Cepek, Firestone, Fuzion, General, Hankook, Toyo, and Yokohama have all recently placed export restrictions on their products and will no longer allow us to ship outside of North America. This is a recent policy change and we are continuing to work through the details. Other manufacturers are considering similar positions and may draw up policies of their own banning any shipments outside of the US, Canada and Mexico.

In addition we can no longer ship some wheel brands outside of the US. Due to our business arrangement and distribution licensing were are no longer able to ship the following wheel brands to international markets.

BBS
Breyton
BE by Breyton
OZ Racing

I am upset to report this as you and many other international clients have been very loyal to The Tire Rack. Please understand, this is a manufacturer's policy with which we must abide.

I followed up and it seems like Michelin & Pirelli were still OK (back in Nov).
Old 04-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I agree. Its from following so close to other cars in a "race format" that sprays the front with small grit, rocks and rubber. My car was mint before Targa Tour and HD. I look at the bonnet and front bumper now as justify it by the "used in the manner it was intended" analogy. It especially hurts when you have just had a fresh full paint job like with Seans car....Im yet to experience the direct component wear and tear issues of hard abuse but Im sure they are just around the corner (starting with the tyres!).

On the subject of tyres what the expected life of a set of the Hankooks Peter is running? Would they be good for 6-7 full track days like Friday or more?

Ive been studying up on tyres and those hankooks look like the best bang for buck for a dedicated track tyre. Finding something that will work on track, road and targa tour for the sake of storage space (having one set does all) is proving difficult. The best option appears to be Michelin Pilot Sport Cups but these are pricey even in the states at 1300 usd a set....
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. Thanks for that it was exactly what I was looking for from your earlier post...
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Peak a boo - I can see you...............

(been reading too many children's books)

I purchased a freshly rebuilt SC engine from Steve R, so this gets me back to the track in a months time with a good, strong engine for anther few years of regular track days.........

Will take a harder look at the existing engine over the next wee while to see if repairable.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 04-26-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Wow. Paul. That's an impressive effort mate! Im no expert but Id be surprised if that is repairable. Is the crank case magnesium alloy n the 3.0 Carrera? Good work on the SC engine replacement. Im sure that will satiate your cravings for a little while at least...
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM
PHG
Racer

Paul, new meaning to 'throwing a leg out of bed'..my dad did that on his Maserati 250F many years ago, and Garth Hogans father re-welded it somehow.. that car was sold to Chris Amon and now resides in Southward Museum..Dad got $8000 pounds for it and laughed himself sick..worth about $2.0m now..short thinking..
Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

FWIW as soon as my engine is back together, I'm going to mirror Peter's setup. A set of track wheels and tyres running a good suspension set up.

Later on I will remove weight (where I can revert it to stock if necessary) and sort out the driving position with a race seat and steering wheel.

When we go track visiting I will run road tyres on the way and track tyres at the track. I can no longer see the point of putting my (relatively) expensive Michelins on the track. I will sell an unused set to fund the Hankooks and wheels. A set of Fuchs would be nice ....
Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 PM
PHG
Racer

Love your attitude John, thats the way I was going, even had a set of wheels lined up but Macca talked me out of it..In real terms I doubt I will do enuff track work to warrant them, unless we arranged a track rally.. or you pass me..!!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Those all sound like very sound ideas to me for a track rat. Assuming your shocks are in good repair you already have the basis for a sound track set up (the RUF Bilstein's and RUF larger ARBs etc). Just need someone in the know to set up the ride height, castor, camber and toe correctly. I would work off what Peter has for camber as a good initial place to start. If you are mostly doing local tracks such as HD and Puke you can easily manage one wheel set without going deaf and given this isnt a daily driver etc

Phil. That's a wicked and legendary story about the 250F! Ive read of your father then in Classic Driver magazine. On the bright side you could buy a very good home in Auckland for 8000 GBP back in the early 60s. In-fact you could probably have bought 2-3 homes on Crummer Ave in Ponsoby back then for that, so in relative terms and depending on what the 8000 GBP was invested in perhaps its all relative LOL!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:38 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
On the subject of tyres what the expected life of a set of the Hankooks Peter is running? Would they be good for 6-7 full track days like Friday or more?
Macca,

I managed to get 20 track days, a 2 day targa and driving around town (i.e. 18 months) out of a set of RE55S's. Hankooks may have a shorter life but the moral of the story is (from my experience) they last longer than you think.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?