Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeper status confirmed.

Will be keen to join the Langs Beach to Auckland run on Sunday. Hopefully Jason can join to complete the stealth bomber squadron.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 PM
993 Targa
Racer

CCS definitely need more room. We have had to visit them already for a minor issue (odometer has stopped ticking over, apparently common?) and they had no space for the car! Luckily we are friendly with Audi next door so they stored the vehicle for us. Sadly just before taking the car to get the odo fixed we discovered some quite bad news. My father took the car to the Ferrari Festival at Hampton Downs and parked in the infield show and shine area. Somehow whilst there it appears someone either accidentally or intentionally spilt a highly corrosive liquid over the front guards of the car, leaving what looked like water marks on the car, however it had actually eaten through the clear coat.

If the paint was already average then we could have probably lived with it however since the whole car was in such mint condition it really let things down. Needless to say after less than one month of ownership this was a less than ideal situation. So now the car in at Precision Autowerks having the whole front end redone. Not as good as having excellent factory paint but what was done cannot be undone. Insurance should be stepping in to cover it but the real frustration is not knowing what happened, no one so far has been able to identify what the liquid possibly could have been. Precision assure us the match will be perfect and they seem to have a pretty good setup so fingers crossed it's unnoticeable.

On a bright note I find myself missing not having the car greatly already despite only having it for a couple of weeks before all this so it bodes well for 993 ownership.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
John, that photo with Herman naked makes it look great IMO. How about the SITT with no numbers and carrera graphics to see how you like it. In good design they say "less is more"
+1 keep experimenting and you'll come up with something you're forced to smile at each time you see it.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
CCS definitely need more room. We have had to visit them already for a minor issue (odometer has stopped ticking over, apparently common?) and they had no space for the car! Luckily we are friendly with Audi next door so they stored the vehicle for us. Sadly just before taking the car to get the odo fixed we discovered some quite bad news. My father took the car to the Ferrari Festival at Hampton Downs and parked in the infield show and shine area. Somehow whilst there it appears someone either accidentally or intentionally spilt a highly corrosive liquid over the front guards of the car, leaving what looked like water marks on the car, however it had actually eaten through the clear coat.

If the paint was already average then we could have probably lived with it however since the whole car was in such mint condition it really let things down. Needless to say after less than one month of ownership this was a less than ideal situation. So now the car in at Precision Autowerks having the whole front end redone. Not as good as having excellent factory paint but what was done cannot be undone. Insurance should be stepping in to cover it but the real frustration is not knowing what happened, no one so far has been able to identify what the liquid possibly could have been. Precision assure us the match will be perfect and they seem to have a pretty good setup so fingers crossed it's unnoticeable.
That is a serious downer. I can't believe that someone would have done that deliberately at a festival where people pay to go and look at cool cars! I'm struggling to even think of how it could happen accidentally - although it did of course.

Really hope they sort it properly for you.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:42 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
YD number plate so likely a Singapore import. Not Paul's, Scott's or Mike's. Yes, tight in that yard. I'd like to see then find an alternate close location and do classics there. The RSG members seem to be in there every 5 minutes and it's clogging up.
When I went in to thank Dean for his magic letter, I'm pretty sure he said you were personally responsible for it.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

CCS definitely need more room. We have had to visit them already for a minor issue (odometer has stopped ticking over, apparently common?) and they had no space for the car! Luckily we are friendly with Audi next door so they stored the vehicle for us. Sadly just before taking the car to get the odo fixed we discovered some quite bad news. My father took the car to the Ferrari Festival at Hampton Downs and parked in the infield show and shine area. Somehow whilst there it appears someone either accidentally or intentionally spilt a highly corrosive liquid over the front guards of the car, leaving what looked like water marks on the car, however it had actually eaten through the clear coat. If the paint was already average then we could have probably lived with it however since the whole car was in such mint condition it really let things down. Needless to say after less than one month of ownership this was a less than ideal situation. So now the car in at Precision Autowerks having the whole front end redone. Not as good as having excellent factory paint but what was done cannot be undone. Insurance should be stepping in to cover it but the real frustration is not knowing what happened, no one so far has been able to identify what the liquid possibly could have been. Precision assure us the match will be perfect and they seem to have a pretty good setup so fingers crossed it's unnoticeable. On a bright note I find myself missing not having the car greatly already despite only having it for a couple of weeks before all this so it bodes well for 993 ownership.
Very strange. I find it hard to believe that someone would intentionally damage a car. It's not Pebble Beach with big money at stake. However that doesn't take away that it's happened. Hope they can restore it to the right standard.

Re odometer, yes very common. Mine went a few months back. The gears in the odometer lose teeth. Mine was repaired by Robinson Instruments in Onehunga. If you are particular about how the gauge is returned e.g. Orientation of screws or any paint chipped off them, then I suggest you forewarn them. I was happy with my repair, but Macca has those issues with his repair. You get what you pay for. Mine was circa $240 for the repair.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:20 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Good point, I hadn't thought of that advantage :-P. Before and after track events I change wheels and pads. Getting quick at it but after a track event when you are tired its a drag.

I'm thinking we sell the two SUVs, the Cayenne S and Jans Forrester and replace with one vehicle. Jan loves the Forrester, being a landscape designer she travels a lot around town and loves the visibility and small size. She hates driving my Cayenne.... Too big. I need something that can occasionally tow a just under 2 ton boat on odd occasions. Thinking perhaps the 3 litre diesel BMW X3 for sale in Hastings for $30k with 66k kms on it might do the trick, or something similar. Needs some low down grunt but not thirsty around town.

Also, someone mentioned that they had a set of caster things that go under each wheel that they'd be happy to sell. Was it you Matt? I could park the 964 on them and push it sideways across the back of my garage to store it.
I have 4 go jacks that are great for moving cars in tight spaces. I put another door in my barn so don't use them anymore.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
When I went in to thank Dean for his magic letter, I'm pretty sure he said you were personally responsible for it.
Yes, rather sick of the seemingly endless trail to CCS.

The 996TT is running well. Aside from a door microswitch, which I will fit this weekend.

Turbo 3.6 is in good health. New tyres and control arms will get used this weekend, hopefully.

Herman will get his alternator fitted tonight and likely part of tomorrow. I will take that slowly as the risks are higher than fitting trim, of which he has had a lot of pieces changed.

In the next couple of weeks I expect some more packages for him. One resultant job I will attend to myself, the other will require help from CCS.

All hopefully ready for a run on 26/2. Unfortunately I won't be running with the 964 pack that day as I'm in with the Hondas in the Normal Group. I won't be sandbagging but recognize its near impossible to do a time attack in that format. I'll have to piece together AIM data to check progress.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

+1 keep experimenting and you'll come up with something you're forced to smile at each time you see it.
Sitting next to the youngster he just feels like he needs some enhancement. Haven't worked out what exact enhancement yet.
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I have 4 go jacks that are great for moving cars in tight spaces. I put another door in my barn so don't use them anymore.
Doug, the negatives are being eliminated!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John - thanks for the tip! I have the new rubber gaskets to replace there. Doug - feel the force ....
I will do a DIY on the other fin tonight. Very easy when you understand how the fin mounts.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

On a bright note I find myself missing not having the car greatly already despite only having it for a couple of weeks before all this so it bodes well for 993 ownership.
Im very sorry to hear this. Its very annoying indeed. I have to fess up that my car often comes back from work with additional scratches and blemishes. Its the downside of having it at CCS for up to a month at a time while they work on it (some of the jobs can take some time and require outwork, plus they pick it up and drop it off at the unit so I have to wait for them to find the time). That said Im pretty sure the majority of these little things are caused by people pouring over the car while its there for weeks on end. Not sure how many of them own a camo cap tho LOL!

Ok. The paint mark. My best offer is coffee with sun. I found this out the hard way with a new sedan I had. Put a takeaway coffe cup that was spilling (too hot) on the roof for a few minutes, left a ring on the roof (stupidly thought Id remember to address that next car wash) let it bake in te sun for a day or two and then went to wash on the weekend to find a permanent ring. Took it to my mate Stef at Hasler and he said "yeah it will do that - very acidic". Maybe a member of the public spilt some coffee over the guard during the event, tried to wipe it off wit there T short sleeve but effectively left the chemical in place, sun and time did the rest? Long shot I know but this theory could be plausible....also bird crap will do it to 8 year old plastic film on the bonnet dont as me why I know - I had that plastic stuff and wont bother again (the OEM plastic guard film on the new GT3 has already started to yellow after 30 days - apparently common with factory guard film on white cars!)
Old 02-04-2014, 09:59 PM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

CCS definitely need more room. We have had to visit them already for a minor issue (odometer has stopped ticking over, apparently common?) and they had no space for the car! Luckily we are friendly with Audi next door so they stored the vehicle for us. Sadly just before taking the car to get the odo fixed we discovered some quite bad news. My father took the car to the Ferrari Festival at Hampton Downs and parked in the infield show and shine area. Somehow whilst there it appears someone either accidentally or intentionally spilt a highly corrosive liquid over the front guards of the car, leaving what looked like water marks on the car, however it had actually eaten through the clear coat. https://rennlist.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

Hi Stuart
I saw your sad story earlier - unbelievable and all the more so as those at the Festival would be admirers of cars.....definitely not the opposite, so you've got to conclude it was accidental surely but still very hard to understand. Even though I no longer own the car I nevertheless will always "follow" it so its no good at all when you hear this. At least Precision will do a top job (don't settle for anything less) and the end result will be better than ever and hopefully you've got some clout so that your insurance will come to the party.
All the best
Bob
Old 02-04-2014, 11:07 PM
993 Targa
Racer

I agree with all that intentional just seems so unlikely, why would you do that when there are 140 Ferrari's to ruin instead? So accident is more likely and your idea about coffee seems a very plausible one Macca. It would seem odd that they managed to get it spilt over such a large area however there certainly would have been a few people around with coffee and was certainly a hot enough day to bake it in!

And yes Bob, a bit sad that this has happened to us so soon and I feel a bit bad about it despite it being outside of our control however such is life. Luckily we have all our vehicles with the same broker along with a lot of other business so they are usually on best behaviour for insurance anyway. We will definitely be making sure Precision do their best work, hopefully that is a very high level.

As for the odometer we are having that sorted by Continentals so we shall keep a close eye on how good a job they do.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:37 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if it was some idiot with brake fluid on themselves?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?