Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Robinson's in Onehunga (though the work may not be up to the standard of (Hollywood Speedo IMO). No re gearing required. For a 964 you could attempt them yourself. Its not that hard but getting the soft brass outer ring of an one without interrogating it or damaging the black pain is almost impossible for DIY. I had Robinsons install mine but was not happy with the alignment and the debris left behind the glass so disassembled then all by hand and spent 8-9 hours making them as perfect as I could get them. Painstaking and stressful job. Now my close vision is crap I wouldnt attempt it but you are a young fella so you could do it at your own desire and save maybe $400 fitment charge.
Isn't there a set of gauges on Trademe right now. I'll check if they have a speedo. Think it might be tip.

Edit. Yes, tipo and in miles

I keep watching that 964 c4 can on trademe. Like a vulture circling I can see the bits I want to strip off, at the right price. The black sports seats along would be more than a couple of thousand worth.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Checked my emails. I last checked on that Can last March. It might be closer to deal time. The demand for car parts is only going to increase. This car has done less than 4,000 km in the last 6 years. Black interior. Starting to tick a few boxes
Old 02-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris. Cheapest option for you might be to buy a VDO KMPH speedo from a wrecker in NZ/Aus or most likely Europe (ebay.de), ship it here and have Robinsons wind it forward. I bought a full set of instruments this way in 2010 and had my custom dials fitted, wound forward etc, and thats what I use today (te original dials that came with the car are safe in a box in storage). I just wants sure Id like the look so wanted a back up plan. The dial set turned out to be a good investment as a full cluster of these in good nick seems to be an appreciating investment LOL! You could ell your old ones on ebay.com and defray some cost. I reckon all up you could do iot this way for under $400 nzd.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Checked my emails. I last checked on that Can last March. It might be closer to deal time. The demand for car parts is only going to increase. This car has done less than 4,000 km in the last 6 years. Black interior. Starting to tick a few boxes
Take Dave with you when you go check it out. Tell him to wear his camo cap. Even if it turns out to be not of interest that car will never be as quick again...
Old 02-03-2014, 10:15 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pete. Thanks for the update. I shouldnt think it will take too long once it leaves Singapore.

Try FVD for instrument dials. You maybe-able to get some after-market coloured dials that Robinsons can fit for you that add some bling and address your KMph issue without breaking the bank. Im pretty sure there are other cheaper suppliers on the market.

http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/Ca...uge_Faces.html
17 days from Singapore apparently (Port to Port).

Yes I had contacted FVD but no reply as yet. The particular combo I need (Gen 2, S, manual, kph) is one of they few they don't list on their website. And silver or white for me - I've seen red and it looks hideous! Tony's has white and its nice and clean.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:17 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robinson's in Onehunga (though the work may not be up to the standard of (Hollywood Speedo IMO). No re gearing required. For a 964 you could attempt them yourself. Its not that hard but getting the soft brass outer ring of an one without interrogating it or damaging the black pain is almost impossible for DIY. I had Robinsons install mine but was not happy with the alignment and the debris left behind the glass so disassembled then all by hand and spent 8-9 hours making them as perfect as I could get them. Painstaking and stressful job. Now my close vision is crap I wouldnt attempt it but you are a young fella so you could do it at your own desire and save maybe $400 fitment charge.
Ditto that - Robinsons in Onehunga are highly recommended. The only bit that needs replacing on a Cayman is the single piece film which sits beneath the cowls.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. The more I think about it the more I think it would be worth giving Julien Reap a call in the UK. Hard guy to nail down but work is exemplary (he did my custom grey VDO dials) and price not too bad. Have Robinsons fit them.

http://www.reapautomotivedesign.com/porsche-dials.php

Chris this could be an option for you too...
Old 02-03-2014, 11:57 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
17 days from Singapore apparently (Port to Port). Yes I had contacted FVD but no reply as yet. The particular combo I need (Gen 2, S, manual, kph) is one of they few they don't list on their website. And silver or white for me - I've seen red and it looks hideous! Tony's has white and its nice and clean.
Mine is white too and looks great
Old 02-04-2014, 12:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Mine is white too and looks great
The fast colour
Old 02-04-2014, 01:45 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete. The more I think about it the more I think it would be worth giving Julien Reap a call in the UK. Hard guy to nail down but work is exemplary (he did my custom grey VDO dials) and price not too bad. Have Robinsons fit them.

http://www.reapautomotivedesign.com/porsche-dials.php

Chris this could be an option for you too...
Thanks for that Macca - will do if the others don't come through. Robinsons have taken on the job of sourcing the dial so if they can't find one then I'll get in touch with Julian. Looks from the photos that he does complete units? I also went initially through Conti's parts to see if the dial was available from the factory and got quoted..... $9k.....+GST!!! urns out they will only supply the whole assembly not just the dial face.

I'm quite happy to work off the digital speedo if it doesn't work out initially.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:54 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you remember your parents car having little stickers on the speedo glass when NZ went metric? You put the 80 sticker over the 50 and the 50 over the 30. Now thats clever thinking.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:58 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Do you remember your parents car having little stickers on the speedo glass when NZ went metric? You put the 80 sticker over the 50 and the 50 over the 30. Now thats clever thinking.
Yep - remember that. Must have been just before the carless day stickers....!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
That was a few years ago. Reminds me of the paper I've had in my wallet since 2001, when I bought the Turbo 3.6. I think it's still current.
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. Julie just replaces the dial card. I think thats what he would ship you for the Cayman and Robinson's would fit it. Thats how it worked for me....they turned out alright.

My boat finally left the Med a few days ago. Departed Tangiers yesterday and now a long sale between ports - 16 days to Durban. After Durban its 18 days to Melbourne, then within the week into Auckland....

John. That reminds me I haven't see any tickets from the Italian, Swiss or French authorities yet from our European jaunt. I cant imagine we would have avoided detection. I cant recall actually driving below the speed limit on the motorways LOL!
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 02:37 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete. Julie just replaces the dial card. I think thats what he would ship you for the Cayman and Robinson's would fit it. Thats how it worked for me....they turned out alright.

My boat finally left the Med a few days ago. Departed Tangiers yesterday and now a long sale between ports - 16 days to Durban. After Durban its 18 days to Melbourne, then within the week into Auckland....
Good info re the dials. Your boat is taking the long way round eh!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?