Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
It does on the track - more cannon fodder for me to overtake (Sean and Yoda excluded)
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Macca, Manthey doors euro 3,200 a piece plus fitting and unpainted excl vat.
fingers crossed on RORO - hope no issues given my experience probably influenced you to go this way too. But probably parked up to some EMD cars destined for NZ too.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Did anyone do Uncles today - Phil??
I think Phil is overseas for a few weeks. He has the track rims and Z221s so I'm sure we would've heard something if he'd gone out.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The Cup 1s (replicas Im guessing) look really great on the 964. Black is killer colour to show the shape when clean (but a PITA most other times). Stance looks spot on 64RS. Be interested in your chassis point to floor measurements.

John. Will be great to see your car at similar height. Again Id expect immediate gains from the confidence it will inspire under brakes & into and out of corners. Finally after 9 months you listened to me. If you listen to Yoda you will never spend another dollar on your car until you are a champ. Now what fund would that be?
Old 02-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
Macca, Manthey doors euro 3,200 a piece plus fitting and unpainted excl vat.
fingers crossed on RORO - hope no issues given my experience probably influenced you to go this way too. But probably parked up to some EMD cars destined for NZ too.
Yip. You have to be a race team to be paying 13K NZD a door fitted and painted!

Yes, fingers crossed on RORO. They pack them in tight. That being said all the new cars come over that way. Lets see what happens. This is my fourth import and first RORO. That said Ive had damage to 2 out of 3 of those cars in containers because the container is so narrow for the coupe doors the guy devanning the container has scratched it getting in. Then there was the GT3 front lip on the edge of the container (they didnt use ramps). The key I learned is to be there when the container is opened, hope it passes MAF first time then drive it out your-self using some blocks at the edge of the container...
Old 02-04-2014, 06:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Will be great to see your car at similar height. Again Id expect immediate gains from the confidence it will inspire under brakes & into and out of corners. Finally after 9 months you listened to me. If you listen to Yoda you will never spend another dollar on your car until you are a champ. Now what fund would that be?
Don't forget Steve has already lapped my car in 1.19.57 as is. His point is that spending per se won't make me faster.

Suspension has always been a stop on the upgrade trip. Question is when? I think Sam's feedback had brought that forward. Paul may be taking the 964 tribe too lightly, especially if Doug buys the C2.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes. But that assumes you ever become as good as Steve. Steves making a big assumption here with all of us when he says we still have plenty of time in us. Frankly the law of averages says some of us will hit a brick wall learning. I know I do. Im sure its the same for others. Not everyone can drive a quick a Steve. The guy must have 15 years race experience, god knows how many Brdigestone series years of entrance etc. Steve may have made that sub 1.20 look easy. My belief is he would have pushed your car as far as he was willing to trust it at the time and no more. Give it back to him with Sam's suspension and tell him to give it the beans. Then watch the time fall 2 seconds. Does it mean youll ever achieve a 1.18 in it? No. But you may manage a 1.19.2 in it that you would never have got to without the suspension....
Old 02-04-2014, 06:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Steve was a bit miffed that I gave the impression it was the best he could do. One session, no harness and each lap was incrementally faster. That said I don't feel the need to get him back out. I want the maximum seat time myself now.

I watched Simon on Saturday. There are lots of approaches out there. Simon is very data oriented. The Motec picked up a lot more data than I would know where to start with but he was looking at multiple channels. I particularly liked the brake pressure data. He was down to picking out meter or so differences in braking points and the application pressure.

Anyway, only a few weeks to twilight. My last HD run for some months.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Makes you wonder where the fun went eh? That's the problem with motorsports today. Its too focussed on data. Look at guys like Hunt, Amon, Rohl, Moss etc. What data did they have.

I really like RSG because it hasnt got to that many levels of ****.....yet!

Cant wait for the day a driving god walks in and tears all our nightie tho. I saw it happen on the 2 day driver training at Mt Cotton. Some young fella only just got his license never driven a Porsche, accompanies his father and starts morning of day 1 around 30th in the slalom only top win everything by a white wash by the end of day 2. There me feeling pretty good about third seed on day 1 only to go backwards by end of day 2. Like I said, brick wall and all!

Its really fascinating watching a gifted driver. Ive had the occasion twice in my life and I haven't identified one yet in our group. We will know them when they arrive. They have an inate ability to find a line, the understand the dynamics of the car instantly and most frustrating of all they make it look easy. Their ability to learn and improve seems exponential - tell them a line once and they will try it and adapt. You can give them any car and they will learn it in three lap sessions. Best of all though they totally reset your expectations of what can be achieved.

Its good when those people arrive. They make everyone else humble and a little less aggressive out there to be king, they can teach us all to be better drivers and they make us all realise that we are just there for fun (and no matter the mods it wont actually make us a rock star). Which is of course precisely the reason we all joined before we got carried away with beating each other LOL!

Steady wins the race John. You are Steady Eddy and you will get there I have absolutely no doubt and with the right attitude too! Read up on McQueen vs Newman and youll understand how Newman became the better driver although Steve was the most naturally gifted. Bit like Hunt and Lauda. Occasionally you get a Senna (mix of both) tho and its good night nurse for everyone.

2014 will be a fun year.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:55 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Here's another reason Doug. How the 964 handles after sorting the suspension. Ive had new suspension on the to do list since I first got the 64 and it's taken me this long to decide on what to get and how to get it. After settling on the kwv3s and getting it back from conti's and peter elders world famous alignment today I feel like the car is setup like it should have been from day one. The difference is otherworldly, pin sharp handling. Zero body roll (on the street) yet no crashing or harshness over bumps. The settings are at factory recommendations until I get some further want to tune it harder. Not sure what others have dialled in but the starting point is front rebound: 8/16 front bump 6/12. Rear rebound 6/16. Rear bump 6/12. This should be a mandatory change, even a factory 20+ year recall!
I can't keep up with this thread any more, it's all too quick for me.

Your car does look amazing. Classic and classy. Very nice.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Just in case I'm the only one fired up for March 2nd…

Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Love it! Makes my machine sound tame LOL! Wont make the 2nd (fly in the 8th) but definitely gets the juices flowing for the big event at the end of the year....
Old 02-04-2014, 01:04 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Cont. when you get back the Boxster will be on pristine condition. When you go to the track you just get in the track tyre and race pad equipped car and go. No changing wheels and pads every three or four weeks.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that advantage :-P. Before and after track events I change wheels and pads. Getting quick at it but after a track event when you are tired its a drag.

I'm thinking we sell the two SUVs, the Cayenne S and Jans Forrester and replace with one vehicle. Jan loves the Forrester, being a landscape designer she travels a lot around town and loves the visibility and small size. She hates driving my Cayenne.... Too big. I need something that can occasionally tow a just under 2 ton boat on odd occasions. Thinking perhaps the 3 litre diesel BMW X3 for sale in Hastings for $30k with 66k kms on it might do the trick, or something similar. Needs some low down grunt but not thirsty around town.

Also, someone mentioned that they had a set of caster things that go under each wheel that they'd be happy to sell. Was it you Matt? I could park the 964 on them and push it sideways across the back of my garage to store it.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:11 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Here's another reason Doug. How the 964 handles after sorting the suspension. Ive had new suspension on the to do list since I first got the 64 and it's taken me this long to decide on what to get and how to get it. After settling on the kwv3s and getting it back from conti's and peter elders world famous alignment today I feel like the car is setup like it should have been from day one. The difference is otherworldly, pin sharp handling. Zero body roll (on the street) yet no crashing or harshness over bumps. The settings are at factory recommendations until I get some further want to tune it harder. Not sure what others have dialled in but the starting point is front rebound: 8/16 front bump 6/12. Rear rebound 6/16. Rear bump 6/12. This should be a mandatory change, even a factory 20+ year recall! The goodies fresh from the UK in all their gaudy goodness
Very very nice. You are going to be pretty damn competitive as well as looking sick. Keep working on me guys. It is an emotional purchase decision and it's not possible to justify logically except a 964 is a solid investment I tell myself. At the least it won't loose value.

Looking forward to seeing it in action later this month.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:14 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Absolutely agree. Makes me more determined to sort mine out some time soon. What height is it set at?
John, that photo with Herman naked makes it look great IMO. How about the SITT with no numbers and carrera graphics to see how you like it. In good design they say "less is more"

Last edited by O2GO; 02-04-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?