Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralf G
Neil, Matt, I've sent you a pm with my mobile number in case anyone of us gets lost.
Ralf, good work on booking early as I see it's now sold out. Matt has an AIM Solo and will bring it to record all of your times, but it might pay to remind him as the times are so bunched that any other time keeping method won't cut the mustard. Maybe talk to Chris about plans for the card and remote. Next week it will be Walter and Tony who will need access.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:02 AM
Ridgeline911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yes Getty are probably the best, or talk to Razzo - he probably has these? Also talk to John G (from early 911), as he just fitted narrow body IROC bumpers to his car.
Thanks, will find out who he used.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:27 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Thanks Ralf. I will see you out there on Saturday. I really appreciate your effort in getting new brakes for BB. I will certainly use them but it appears as if Chris hardly touches them. After my last rushed and frantic effort to decrease my time I will be trying for smooth and calm this time.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Three fastest runs to date.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2014, 05:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Thanks Ralf. I will see you out there on Saturday. I really appreciate your effort in getting new brakes for BB. I will certainly use them but it appears as if Chris hardly touches them. After my last rushed and frantic effort to decrease my time I will be trying for smooth and calm this time.
Plenty of time on the day to get that low time. They should be perfect conditions. Maybe Chris will share the secret?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:25 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Plenty of time on the day to get that low time. They should be perfect conditions. Maybe Chris will share the secret?
I think no brakes so he just drove, powered through the corners ?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I think no brakes so he just drove, powered through the corners ?
Not sure Doug. He said the brakes were starting to fade during his session. I think he nailed the time in 3rd lap and then buttoned off. We thought he knew he'd beaten Pete's time and was cruising. We now know he wasn't able to push it with the brakes he had left. Certainly turn one is taken differently to the more powerful rear wheel drive cars. Next time he's out I'll shadow him in Herman
Old 08-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was studying some traces from the GT3 last night. I did one lap out of 9 on Turn 10 sweeper as a tightening radius the rest were double apex. The tightening radius is definitely quicker and this is the overlay between two laps (7 and 8 - end of 8 lights were flashing for 9 which was warm down).

I think its a good graphical representation of what is happening when you double apex vs constant radius turn 10...
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2014, 05:36 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralf G
Neil, Matt, Chris,
I've sent you a pm with my mobile number in case anyone of us gets lost.
A star studded line up there. She's already booked in for the 23rd too (Tony, the ticket says the gates open at 8am) so here's hoping nothing happens to her that won't polish or push out...
Old 08-14-2014, 05:46 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

interesting Macca - needs a big sample size to see what is faster on average but maybe at pace the double apex has a couple of advantages.
1) As Troy said on SITT 'the endurance line' is kinder/less wearing on the car and tyres
2) for non pro's the double apex may be easier to be consistently near the target pace as I think the margin of error on the grip side at the key entry part of the corner is more because the tyre is stressed mainly in forward rotation only not side.

The last corner at Manfield is similar as you can use both lines. I always use double apex
Old 08-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Swings and round about I think Graeme. Double apex you keep the speed higher going into the corner but scrub off more mid corner where as tightening radius you brake earlier but hold more speed through the corner. I think you are right though it depends on the cars chassis, tyres and limit of adhesion. I actually think double apex is harder to get right than constant radius as you need to time your braking and turn in precisely whereas constant radius you just sit on a trailing throttle slowly squeezing it and can feel better where the traction is (outside wheels under load).
Old 08-14-2014, 06:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
A star studded line up there. She's already booked in for the 23rd too (Tony, the ticket says the gates open at 8am) so here's hoping nothing happens to her that won't polish or push out...
I am positive that BB will see a few more sessions yet, however eventually we need to expect some issues. No-one is taking it easy and the track can bite even at these speeds - witness various gardening episodes and a close call on Turn 1. There's also the possibility of breakages. Within reason I think we drop it back to Jono in need and ask him to fix it. We can poll co-owners if it's a biggie.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I am positive that BB will see a few more sessions yet, however eventually we need to expect some issues. No-one is taking it easy and the track can bite even at these speeds - witness various gardening episodes and a close call on Turn 1. There's also the possibility of breakages. Within reason I think we drop it back to Jono in need and ask him to fix it. We can poll co-owners if it's a biggie.
Last one in her at time of catastrophe gets the job of putting her up on blocks on your front lawn and running $1 parts auctions till she's all gone.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Last one in her at time of catastrophe gets the job of putting her up on blocks on your front lawn and running $1 parts auctions till she's all gone.
The seat, harness bar, harness and extinguisher will hopefully live on no matter what. I'm hoping we get bored with her rather than end up with a $1 auction. I still haven't come across a similar car for myself. At least not one for less than $2,000. We bought well considering our common car buying weaknesses.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

BB co-owners - I've just received the notice that BB's rego expires 7/9. I think WOF is November. We can probably sneak in the NITT without renewing, but I think there's merit in renewing 3 monthly for $77.50 as it gives us options e.g. If someone needs a car because of some issue at the track with their own it gives them the option of taking BB.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?