Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:14 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Doug, you should budget just enough to buy a red 964 that is all done
Don't suppose you want to swap it for a Cayenne S or a Tristram 641 and a little cash. Think my boys would disown me if the boat went but it has also crossed my mind. The Cayenne is great for lugging big 911 parts around the country while you collect stuff for your long nose LOL!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Doug. Sorry. Working from a hammock here going on memory when I wrote that. Targa. You cant participate in Targa events (the tour is ok). That's a single file time trial event. Im not sure about official time rtial and hill climb events in NZ but in UK you need a roll bar...

P.S. I meant "roll bar" . I dont think manufacturers roll hoops count but they may. Its in the motorsport manual live 35 App 2.01 Sch A_0
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2014, 11:47 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Doug. Sorry. Working from a hammock here going on memory when I wrote that. Targa. You cant participate in Targa events (the tour is ok). That's a single file time trial event. Im not sure about official time rtial and hill climb events in NZ but in UK you need a roll bar... P.S. I meant "roll bar" . I dont think manufacturers roll hoops count but they may. Its in the motorsport manual live 35 App 2.01 Sch A_0
Ahhh, gotya, thanks. (From a hammock? From beside the pool here - ha ha)

But that's after 2 days of trimming trees in the heat, not so much fun :-(. At least the Cayenne got a run
Attached Images   
Old 02-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Yes, please hang on to the drivers seat a little longer :-P
No probs Doug, it's not yet as bare is it is probably made out to be. As of today nothing is off it and the only scheduled removal is the Heigo. No hurry at all.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:20 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maxem
No probs Doug, it's not yet as bare is it is probably made out to be. As of today nothing is off it and the only scheduled removal is the Heigo. No hurry at all.
I sent you a PM :-)
Old 02-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Don't suppose you want to swap it for a Cayenne S or a Tristram 641 and a little cash. Think my boys would disown me if the boat went but it has also crossed my mind. The Cayenne is great for lugging big 911 parts around the country while you collect stuff for your long nose LOL!
Doug, a Tristram 641 is a very nice rig but it would clog the driveway next to my Haines 600c c/w a 175 Merc Verado hanging off it. The Cayenne.....I was a bit unfair in an earlier post when I said the second saddest day of my life was when Porsche started making Cayenne's ( the saddest was when a 911 came out in tipo). I'm a sports sedan man - onto my umpteenth M series - and an SUV is some way off for me. I managed to talk the wife into an SUV after years of small Euro manuals so my tow and family solution is now sorted which means the future M series cars can be coupes!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:00 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. I think you are doing your man maths again mate. If you take the cost of your 993, add teh suspension, service work and other items you will do before SITT you are pretty much close to Petes outlay on a Cayman S gen 2 landed, registered and rocking to go.

No free lunches here folks.
Yes agreed - for the cost of the suspension and a bit of paint correction I could comfortably own a 996 GT3, or Pete's car, but the 993 was an itch I needed to scratch. I don't think the car is a 'lifer' and I will play with it for a while and see if it endears me (the C3 far from endeared me initially with 35yrs delayed maintenance).

Being NZ new, lowish km's and full monty suspension - I am quietly confident I will get my purchase price back, or even a little more and sell it within 48hrs. The same can't be said for any other 911's, or Porsche's for that matter unless they are heavily discounted.

I can live with loosing $5K a year over 3 yrs and have the benefit of using a well dailed in suspension set up during that time.

Macca, yes you are right 911's are king, but the point you are missing about 944's is you need a hot-rod 964 or better to beat a 994 S2, so you are looking at spending $70K vs $25K - or to put into reality Sean's roadie 964 or Pete's car to go the same speed.

Your suspension and tires has probably cost $25K, yet Pete will drive around the outside of you on any corner.........

Not all of us have your level disposable income towards cars mate (most of us have to pay Alk house prices) - so when you have a budget - 944's are hard to beat. Also a tracked 911 needs a top end every 3 years, so you are factoring in a lump sum $12-15K hit even just doing play days.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:03 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts
Default 989Km this weekend

Hey,

I know a few of you are heading to Queenstown soon, just relocated the 993 back to Queenstown from WLG. I meant to take more photos, but you know how it is once you get behind the wheel riding solo!! Anyways, down the East Coast, also via Akaroa Saturday night for a party.

So many Cops, so kinda of stuck to the speed limit +5 to +10. Quick blast down Thompson track too. Spirited driving over the passes, and aggressive overtaking but incredible 9.0L per 100, compared to WLG 16L per 100.

31 Celsius passing Cromwell and Highlands. Otago summer has started! Might go try the track next weekend - go karts that is!
Attached Images   
Old 02-02-2014, 02:00 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Talking about Cayman vs 993, this is an interesting article......

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...911-carrera-s/

Old 02-02-2014, 02:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yes agreed - for the cost of the suspension and a bit of paint correction I could comfortably own a 996 GT3, or Pete's car, but the 993 was an itch I needed to scratch. I don't think the car is a 'lifer' and I will play with it for a while and see if it endears me (the C3 far from endeared me initially with 35yrs delayed maintenance).

Being NZ new, lowish km's and full monty suspension - I am quietly confident I will get my purchase price back, or even a little more and sell it within 48hrs. The same can't be said for any other 911's, or Porsche's for that matter unless they are heavily discounted.

I can live with loosing $5K a year over 3 yrs and have the benefit of using a well dailed in suspension set up during that time.

Macca, yes you are right 911's are king, but the point you are missing about 944's is you need a hot-rod 964 or better to beat a 994 S2, so you are looking at spending $70K vs $25K - or to put into reality Sean's roadie 964 or Pete's car to go the same speed.

Your suspension and tires has probably cost $25K, yet Pete will drive around the outside of you on any corner.........

Not all of us have your level disposable income towards cars mate (most of us have to pay Alk house prices) - so when you have a budget - 944's are hard to beat. Also a tracked 911 needs a top end every 3 years, so you are factoring in a lump sum $12-15K hit even just doing play days.
Paul. Every one of your comments has validity and merit (well accept for the 25K on suspension and tyres but if you throw in the custom three piece Kerscher alloys Ill give you that one ;-)).

However none of that changes my view or stance on the subject. The 911 (in road or track form) is simply the more involving, challenging and "soulful" platform to track IMO. I have plenty of seat time in the 944 platform and have made my decision on this. Granted - seconds per lap per dollar they may not be as competitive as a 944 track car but I preferred my long-board over my 6"4" thruster (surfing anology) even though the former was faster and cheaper.

As I stated from the beginning its simply an opinion. I choose to make my old 911 faster, although it makes no sense, just like you choose to buy/build a house in Auckland. We can both afford to buy a 911 race car but justifying it may be a different matter.

I dont think there is any right or wrong here. I will never lap HD as quickly as Pete in his 944 race car (or even his Cayman S), that is most likely fact, but I will become a better driver trying to and if I can even get close to him on one single lap Ill very much feel like Ive reached my Nirvana.

The 911 rewards at the end of the day even after the racing is done. As it ticks and pops away cooling down in the garage and fills that space with the smell of hot metal and oil, you just look back at those bloody gorgeous curves and you KNOW you have just attempted to tame something a little bit wild.....(call it soul or whatever you like).

I just know I never felt that way after spanking the 968.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:02 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes
Hey,

I know a few of you are heading to Queenstown soon, just relocated the 993 back to Queenstown from WLG. I meant to take more photos, but you know how it is once you get behind the wheel riding solo!! Anyways, down the East Coast, also via Akaroa Saturday night for a party.

So many Cops, so kinda of stuck to the speed limit +5 to +10. Quick blast down Thompson track too. Spirited driving over the passes, and aggressive overtaking but incredible 9.0L per 100, compared to WLG 16L per 100.

31 Celsius passing Cromwell and Highlands. Otago summer has started! Might go try the track next weekend - go karts that is!
Nice pic's, I always like road trip write up's - especially with pic's. Usually only Doug does these for us..........
Old 02-02-2014, 02:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes
Hey,

Hey Steve. Looks marvellous mate. Getting me excited already! Whats the ground clearance like on those Ferries?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Talking about Cayman vs 993, this is an interesting article...... http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...911-carrera-s/ .
Link didn't work for me.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:13 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Link didn't work for me.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-cayman-s.html

Try this............
Old 02-02-2014, 02:14 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug - white, manual, buckets... not giving up sorry! http://www.dicklovett.co.uk/Dealers/...-20188629.html

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?