Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 02:20 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. Every one of your comments has validity and merit (well accept for the 25K on suspension and tyres but if you throw in the custom three piece Kerscher alloys Ill give you that one ;-)).

However none of that changes my view or stance on the subject. The 911 (in road or track form) is simply the more involving, challenging and "soulful" platform to track IMO. I have plenty of seat time in the 944 platform and have made my decision on this. Granted - seconds per lap per dollar they may not be as competitive as a 944 track car but I preferred my long-board over my 6"4" thruster (surfing anology) even though the former was faster and cheaper.

As I stated from the beginning its simply an opinion. I choose to make my old 911 faster, although it makes no sense, just like you choose to buy/build a house in Auckland. We can both afford to buy a 911 race car but justifying it may be a different matter.

I dont think there is any right or wrong here. I will never lap HD as quickly as Pete in his 944 race car (or even his Cayman S), that is most likely fact, but I will become a better driver trying to and if I can even get close to him on one single lap Ill very much feel like Ive reached my Nirvana.

The 911 rewards at the end of the day even after the racing is done. As it ticks and pops away cooling down in the garage and fills that space with the smell of hot metal and oil, you just look back at those bloody gorgeous curves and you KNOW you have just attempted to tame something a little bit wild.....(call it soul or whatever you like).

I just know I never felt that way after spanking the 968.

No argument from me mate that 911's are the best, my only feeble justification was budget........

I personally refer to it as character rather than soul, but I suppose we are both describing the same thing and that it you have 'an experience' or that it 'moves' you emotionally, a bit like good architecture.....

Old 02-02-2014, 02:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Enjoyed that article Paul. Like the guys writing style. Come classic quotes in there including "its a dead guys car" (my 993!) and "It’s not a car for forever, but it is a car for right now, wherever and whenever right now might be" (likely my 991 GT3!).

Good news is Pete changes cars so regularly his is likely to be the later not the former!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
No argument from me mate that 911's are the best, my only feeble justification was budget........

I personally refer to it as character rather than soul, but I suppose we are both describing the same thing and that it you have 'an experience' or that it 'moves' you emotionally, a bit like good architecture.....

Paul Agreed. Im a big fan of good architecture (or a big hater of bad). I have a small section of my library (yes somehwere in "the shed") dedicated to architecture (Bauhaus movement, Loyd Wright, Contemporary - heck even the NZ stuff like San and The Company etc). I grew up in Titirangi and, mate, well you just cant helkp but be influenced by architecture if you live upt in em hills....
Old 02-02-2014, 02:32 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Hey Steve. Looks marvellous mate. Getting me excited already! Whats the ground clearance like on those Ferries?
All good. They pack you in tight. I did address the ramp on an angle, and same on the way down. Go slow, you will be fine.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Doug - white, manual, buckets... not giving up sorry! http://www.dicklovett.co.uk/Dealers/...-20188629.html
Doug. Petes nailed it mate. Dont even worry with the maths mate. That car has every option you asked for, only;y 10,000 km, carbon buckets and manual its white and you can land that with a bit of haggling for less than 80 large....

Whats there to think about? Lifes short, the wife needs a new diamond, have it landed by April and the boxster sold at the end of the SITT.....never look back!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^^ P.S. Above man maths assumes that Swindon Motors complies with the "Approved export scheme" and that you can get the UK VAT back on export (may not be the case as Pete discovered???).
Old 02-02-2014, 02:58 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^ P.S. Above man maths assumes that Swindon Motors complies with the "Approved export scheme" and that you can get the UK VAT back on export (may not be the case as Pete discovered???).
Would doubt it. Once its been in private ownership VAT reclaim is gone. Has to have been owned by VAT registered owner since initial sale.

On the road in NZ that's an $88k car give or take. Might save a few pennies but certainly nowhere near $80k (I have the spreadsheet to prove it )
Old 02-02-2014, 03:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Fair call. Without the VAT on export that makes sense. Still alot of value for such a low mileage and highly optioned car.

People are paying 4k+ GBP for those seats alone on the open market.

They look very cool with the roof down dont they Doug? (he he he)
Old 02-02-2014, 04:14 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
When I met Michael in Hamilton last year, he related the cost of 944 ownership over the years. I won't say the number as that's info to disclose if he wants to, but needless to say it is not a whole lot less than my spend on the 964 to date. There is no Porsche bargain.
John, do you mean that number from your post on page 507?

As we all know, you're not allowed to add up your receipts, and I haven't. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's closer to $40k than $30k though. It's a bit crazy really, when you consider the value of my car. (Macca, you might have the t-shirt for a 6 figure spend but I don't think you have one for spending 5x the value of your car ). But I have had it 7 years now and I've had a lot of fun in it, and that's the important thing. And as I always say, you've got to waste your money on something. If it wasn't for our P-cars we'd be richer but miserable I reckon! Also, like John's 964 it's had most bits refreshed/replaced, so hopefully it'll keep on trucking for a little while yet.

BTW Micheal, not sure why it matters but I couldn't help think that you and Paul's C3 would have been a good combination long term. Not the right timing but it won't depreciate over the time that your priorities are more family oriented.
Yeah, I know. It's a cool car and that model does it for me more than a 964 (no offence guys!). And Paul's shown that it can do some quick times with a good driver. One day...
Old 02-02-2014, 04:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
John, do you mean that number from your post on page 507? ....Yeah, I know. It's a cool car and that model does it for me more than a 964 (no offence guys!). And Paul's shown that it can do some quick times with a good driver. One day...

Oops for post on page 507 good grief that was posted only one month ago. Thank goodness I'm not paying to post on this forum.

No offence taken on the 964 quip, although you do realise we are increasing in numbers, we have two on the Cape Reinga trip, and we have long memories?

Much of this forum is about personal taste. I'm stuck in the '90s and happy that way, but others see their ideal Porsche experience differently. As long as we co-exist peacefully there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:42 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

. (Macca, you might have the t-shirt for a 6 figure spend but I don't think you have one for spending 5x the value of your car ). But I have had it 7 years now and I've had a lot of fun in it, and that's the important thing. .

Wooo Hoooo - Michael you are the champion, their must be a T shirt slogan there about over capitalising - mate I love it......you have turned Macca into a spending mino.......(on a % basis).

Last edited by kiwi 911; 02-02-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:42 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maxem
Doug, a Tristram 641 is a very nice rig but it would clog the driveway next to my Haines 600c c/w a 175 Merc Verado hanging off it. The Cayenne.....I was a bit unfair in an earlier post when I said the second saddest day of my life was when Porsche started making Cayenne's ( the saddest was when a 911 came out in tipo). I'm a sports sedan man - onto my umpteenth M series - and an SUV is some way off for me. I managed to talk the wife into an SUV after years of small Euro manuals so my tow and family solution is now sorted which means the future M series cars can be coupes!
Good on you. I was only pulling your leg. I love the Cayenne. Nothing like a Porsche v8 when you're carrying/towing a load :-P
Old 02-02-2014, 04:45 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I know. It's a cool car and that model does it for me more than a 964 (no offence guys!). And Paul's shown that it can do some quick times with a good driver. One day...
Yeah let me know when a good driver does some laps in it. It might pull a 1.18...........

The C3 is quicker than my 993 around the track.....(must be those 214's Macca).........(thank god I was only driving the 993 at 7/10th's)

Actually - it just shows the value of a good suspension tune and corner balance. I dropped 3-4 seconds after rebuilding the suspension in that car. Other than thicker torsion bars and replacing 35 yr old worn bushes with superpro's, it's stock (i.e. there is nothing special like coil overs or sway bars etc.)

I must admit the 993 is more responsive after the Puke Italian tune up (maybe this is wishful thinking like a K&N air filter making the car sound faster......)

Matt - can I get a Rennsport Gruppe T-Shirt in grey with a custom 7/10th's tui logo on the front in XL please?? I also need one with an 'L plate' too.

Excuse me - I need to go buy some more 993 go faster bits..........

Old 02-02-2014, 04:47 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spokes
Hey, I know a few of you are heading to Queenstown soon, just relocated the 993 back to Queenstown from WLG. I meant to take more photos, but you know how it is once you get behind the wheel riding solo!! Anyways, down the East Coast, also via Akaroa Saturday night for a party. So many Cops, so kinda of stuck to the speed limit +5 to +10. Quick blast down Thompson track too. Spirited driving over the passes, and aggressive overtaking but incredible 9.0L per 100, compared to WLG 16L per 100. 31 Celsius passing Cromwell and Highlands. Otago summer has started! Might go try the track next weekend - go karts that is!
Nice stuff. Sounds like a very sweet loooong drive. We are there for 4 nights I think from the 20th March.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oops for post on page 507 good grief that was posted only one month ago. Thank goodness I'm not paying to post on this forum.
Ha ha, it's all good!

No offence taken on the 964 quip, although you do realise we are increasing in numbers, we have two on the Cape Reinga trip, and we have long memories?
True, true, I hadn't thought of that... I'll sleep with one eye open. And obviously I wasn't talking about 964 Turbos, one of which will be there at Cape Reinga right?

Much of this forum is about personal taste. I'm stuck in the '90s and happy that way, but others see their ideal Porsche experience differently. As long as we co-exist peacefully there's nothing wrong with that.
Couldn't agree more. There's actually quite a bit of choice in the Porsche world and everyone is looking for something slightly different. I'm glad we've been able to avoid flame wars about which model is "best".

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?