Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Love to get a pair of those composite doors, bonnet and those grey bucket seats for my 993....
Old 02-02-2014, 01:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Love to get a pair of those composite doors, bonnet and those grey bucket seats for my 993....
Simon's cup car is 1,280 kg with driver. These doors help
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2014, 07:10 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

With composite doors I am pretty sure you will need a full cage to get road compliance as they don't have any side intrusion protection comparable to factory original. So that will be a biggie.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

A new class. Time attack http://www.nzsuperlap.co.nz/
Old 02-02-2014, 08:40 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
http://www.9tro.com/features/tuned-c...destinys-child

Doug - Like that white Spyder a few pages back from Lovett. Here is the the 420hp Ruf version
WOW, an extra 100hp. Talk about fly :-)
Old 02-02-2014, 08:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thank goodness Deadmau5 didn't do this to a Porsche
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Graeme. Im sure you are right about the composite doors. Ive been keeping an eye poeeled for alloy OEM Porsche doors for years now and nothuing has surfaced. Id only look at allot or composite if they were Porsche doors already fitted to a production road Porsche vehicle (therefore no need for a full cage) as you can imagine such doors are like dodo poo. The factory made alloy doors with steel frame for some of the 964/993 racing specials (GT2Evo, RSR etc) and the composit fdoors for the 9643.3S Lightweight - these doors retained internal fastenings for door cards and window winding mechanisms, steel window frames and steel side impact bars - but they are very very rare (and no doubt cost prohibitive). The alloy doodrs dave around 15kg per side and the composite I should think around 22kg. Surprisingly a fully loaded 964/993 door is by far the heaviest single panel in the car. When we had a glass out respray in 2005 I helped haslers with the prep and we took the drivers side door off to do the "check stap" fix, that thing took two men to carry - I would have estimated around 45kg! I have looked at after-market composite doors over the years and like hoods and rear engine covers the fit and fixture leaves much wanting....
Old 02-02-2014, 09:16 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Macca - I believe you can buy an ali bonnet from Porsche for about $3K, but you are saving weight in the wrong place. I think they save about 10kg (but dent easy with stones), most 964/993 RS owners take them off for safe keeping.

You need to learn to live without aircon, easy 15-20kg out of the best place, or sunroof delete as this will give you 15kg's in the next best place. With a sunroof delete you could install a carbon roof and save another 20kgs.

The best weight savings are unsprung as you know (18's and big reds are heading in the wrong direction mate..........).......but they do look really-really cool, so there must be 1 sec in that!

It's all a waste of time as you need to save a 100kg's to find 1 sec at 10/10th's. You could spend the same money on slicks, better suspension or DE and achieve the 1 sec with creature comforts still in.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Paul. Unfortunately you arent telling me anything I dont already know. The RS bonnet saves 7kg, and yes its soft. Ive seen two new ones over the years on offer for about 2-3K NZD but after much thought come to the same conclusion as you.

I visit NZ mostly in summer and for touring the air con must stay. I love my sunroof (even use it at night) and again it must stay.

My new 18s are lighter than the factory 17s by 6kg which almost offsets the brake upgrade so feel happy with that trade. New MX72 pads icing on the cake. Not that there was anything wrong with my old set up at the pace Im going however at the end of teh SITT I will have totally chewed through the existing pads and disks and importing these direct didnt therefore seem such a big step up on replacing the discs & pads via EMD (freight is a killer in these heavy items). Well that was my justification in any case - I think the net difference was around 2K and gave me a full brand new set of 4 Big Red calipers which I think will look cooler even if they dont help my times. The Big Red set up si mcuh more durable too as larger disc and wider pad mean better heat dissipation and longer lasting pads/discs. They are a straight bolt on. Again more justification. Maybe someone will buy my old red calipers to help me defray the costs further ;-).

Im pretty much at the end of the "weight savings" addiction. I dont see much more than 5-10Kg being won in the future to take it to 1300kg square (ior a few kg under that to make it sound better LOL!).

I fully realise all teh benefits in my car are now down to two things.

1). Set up (needs fine tuning) and
2). Driver training (will be concentrating on this consistently during SITT and NITT and but will accelerate this next year with an offshore immersion course).

I agree tactical weight management below the obvious seats, wheels, and obvious items if futile for a road car. Same reason I keep my sound deadening in place, so I can hear the CD player and talk to my wife.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca - I believe you can buy an ali bonnet from Porsche for about $3K, but you are saving weight in the wrong place. I think they save about 10kg (but dent easy with stones), most 964/993 RS owners take them off for safe keeping. You need to learn to live without aircon, easy 15-20kg out of the best place, or sunroof delete as this will give you 15kg's in the next best place. With a sunroof delete you could install a carbon roof and save another 20kgs. The best weight savings are unsprung as you know (18's and big reds are heading in the wrong direction mate..........).......but they do look really-really cool. It's all a waste of time as you need to save a 100kg's to find 1 sec at 10/10th's. YOu could spend the same money on slicks, better suspension or DE and achieve the 1 sec with creature comforts still in :-)
Steve R. shares your view. As much as I enjoyed watching formula Fords circulating at 1.10.xx I had no desire to take a car back to that level. Simon circulated in 1.09 at his fastest this weekend and that's 420hp and 1,280kg. No creature comforts at all. When get to 1.19.xx I want to concentrate on race craft not times as I suspect the gain thereafter is expensive and fleeting.

Even the lowly Regularity Trials has taught me a lot. Your preferred driving lines and style go out the window when a different car and driver are in front. That's a whole new challenge.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:49 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Maybe someone will buy my old red calipers to help me defray the costs further ;-).

Might have to work out a package deal with something else that I want to buy

When where they rebuilt??
Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Steve R. shares your view. As much as I enjoyed watching formula Fords circulating at 1.10.xx I had no desire to take a car back to that level. Simon circulated in 1.09 at his fastest this weekend and that's 420hp and 1,280kg. No creature comforts at all. When get to 1.19.xx I want to concentrate on race craft not times as I suspect the gain thereafter is expensive and fleeting.

Even the lowly Regularity Trials has taught me a lot. Your preferred driving lines and style go out the window when a different car and driver are in front. That's a whole new challenge.
Steve R has tried to talk me out of just about everything I have done to my car LOL. That's a shame. It could have been good business for him....

This isnt a track mule for me. Its a 14 year journey that started as a daily driver, has been on 20k km of family holidays, got married in it (feature of wedding invite), has been featured in magazines (you may read more about it in a UK magazine in the future too), been on Targa (and about to do so again), track days, going to the shops for milk and scaring old ladies. As Stein field says its a "dead mans car". I receive huge gratification from this journey, its my hobby and I have made many many friends around the globe via my car and even visited a number of them and been invited to participate in events I would never have access too (like Monte Carlo Classic). Its pretty much part of my character this car, and an on going project (still very focussed on a engine solution Im happy with in the future and Rothsport Racing leading the choice of solutions to date).

My 993 is an utter enigma. I makes no sense but to me. Its the last thing you should look to in terms of a sanitised. practical solution to going fast in comfort. Even man maths fails here (there are factory GT3s for man maths). I put more people off my mortifications that I do invite them to join the madness. I'm not too proud or too broke (yet) to be dishonest with people when they ask me what works and what doesn't on the 993 (and what was an utter waste of cash). To me this is a life's work and Im fairly single minded about it. It doesn't make any sense but its been alot of fun.

Its about sharing too and although its not as relevant to this particular board, that has brought me much pleasure and respect on other boards on this forum (this morning I asked if anyone had some new front Big Reds to "borrow" or buy as mine are on back order and within hours a Canadian 993 guy offers me his to "borrow" and replace!). Its been a great journey, don't regret any of it. Just dont ask me to make any sense of it thats all LOL!

Last edited by Macca; 02-02-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Might have to work out a package deal with something else that I want to buy

When where they rebuilt??
2005. Seen around 20k km use since.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ive been collecting "garage art" for years now. Yip, you guessed it its still all wrapped up in cardboard tubes in storage LOL! That sounds like a clean out waiting to happen!

Anyway, Ive been hunting down this artist for years and finally caught up with him. He just completed a commission for the Mile Migla 1000 race. Love his work. Id like to buy two pieces (the 993 Cup car is a given). Out of the three others (917 #24, 962, 917) be interested in knowing others thought or preferences....
Attached Images     
Old 02-03-2014, 12:11 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another interesting GT3 http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-692786370.htm

Doug - its white, they'll take an SUV trade but unfortunately its not an open top. Interesting alternative comparison for Spyder money though.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?