Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013 | 08:58 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi John. I looked on their site and the Recaro Furious seemed like the best price and option. I worked out around NZ$3400 including GST, alloy side mounts x 2, sliders x 2 and freight (350 GBP per package).

I agree with you there's probably no real advantage in buying together unless they discount the seats substantially. Regardless of pooling of not the GST will apply to the full shipment value I believe as in any case its over $400 nzd.

Given I have a perfectly good set of non FAI CF buckets in grey leather and alacantera and the FAI cert is only good for 10 years (from memory) Ill probably step aside on this. Im looking at 2018/19 before the 993 is eligible for European Vintage series and between now and then only see Playdays and Targa Tours on the horizon so no point in loosing years off the certification for no real benefit.

If you are looking for a cheap half way solution I could recommend the seat Im using x 2 in CF with black leather landed in NZ with freight brackets and sliders for $1500 nzd. The company made BRIDE seats (a popular drift racers seat company!).
FIA Mark
Old 02-20-2013 | 09:28 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Cheers Nik. Flat out at work this arvo but will get onto it tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2013 | 11:29 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

John, sorry if you know some or all of this already but you're quite a tall guy aren't you? If you ever plan to put harnesses in make sure that the harness entry points at the back of the seats is equal too or higher than your shoulder. If not, during an accident the belts will pull down and will compress your spine.

It was this that put me in the Sparco seats in my car. Recaro SPG XL's are also quite tall but best to try heaps of seats. Pole Positions while period correct are small seats.

Also need to be careful about mounting them, it's hard to get headroom when you have a helmet on in a 964. The 4WD tunnel means you have to mount the seat higher in the car with a large seat so will need some customisation to have the seat on the sliders while still having head room. Yes, you'll want the sliders because Ray or Steve or someone who knows about set up of 964s will at some point need to drive it to understand what the cars doing and whether it needs setup tweaks or changes as our feedback isn't always perfect.

It's a real balancing act. Hope some of this is useful.
Old 02-20-2013 | 11:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
John, sorry if you know some or all of this already but you're quite a tall guy aren't you? If you ever plan to put harnesses in make sure that the harness entry points at the back of the seats is equal too or higher than your shoulder. If not, during an accident the belts will pull down and will compress your spine.

It was this that put me in the Sparco seats in my car. Recaro SPG XL's are also quite tall but best to try heaps of seats. Pole Positions while period correct are small seats.

Also need to be careful about mounting them, it's hard to get headroom when you have a helmet on in a 964. The 4WD tunnel means you have to mount the seat higher in the car with a large seat so will need some customisation to have the seat on the sliders while still having head room. Yes, you'll want the sliders because Ray or Steve or someone who knows about set up of 964s will at some point need to drive it to understand what the cars doing and whether it needs setup tweaks or changes as our feedback isn't always perfect.

It's a real balancing act. Hope some of this is useful.
Thanks Sean, all very useful. Yes, I'm tall. My helmet hits the roof lining in the Turbo 3.6, even with the seat leaned back. I had a very uncomfortable day at Pukekohe years ago bouncing my head on the roof down the back straight. Sounds like I need to look at some of the set-ups to get it right for me. This is all about comfort on the track. If I don't get that right then I'll lose interest quickly.
Old 02-20-2013 | 11:48 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
Thanks Sean, all very useful. Yes, I'm tall. My helmet hits the roof lining in the Turbo 3.6, even with the seat leaned back. I had a very uncomfortable day at Pukekohe years ago bouncing my head on the roof down the back straight. Sounds like I need to look at some of the set-ups to get it right for me. This is all about comfort on the track. If I don't get that right then I'll lose interest quickly.
I understand completely. Brand preference goes out the window with this sort of thing and it becomes entirely a functional thing.

Ask Steve for a sit you in my car if you want when you are there at the end of the month. I have the Sparco Evo 2 Plus seats which Steve mounted as low as possible with modified seat mounts to the factory rails. It will at least give you an idea. I'm 6'4" and it works for me.

If there's anything else I can help with let me know.
Old 02-20-2013 | 11:51 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Oh, the other purchase I would make is a deep dish steering wheel to pull the wheel out from the dash and over your knees. Entirely changed my driving position and comfort in the car and made heal-toe work easier. Matters little on the road but huge difference in comfort on the track.
Old 02-20-2013 | 11:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sean. That's really good info. Recaro PPs are indeed on the short side. Aesthetically they look better in the car but from a 5 point harness perspective you have a very valid point.

I cant recall how tall Peter and John are but I think John is at the extreme height for an older 911 (6'3"-6'4"). Shape of torso can make a difference too.

When I selected my seats I could not sit in them to choose so it was somewhat a gamble. However I chose a seat which was a little more generous around the shoulder and waits (rated for a driver to 100kg and 6'/4") and Im glad I did. Im 90kg and just over 6'1".

Anyway I found two 964 owners who had the two different sizes. They were both taller (and skinnier) than me and both recommended the larger seat. Some pictures below. A few 993 owners now have these after seeing them and asking for the contact.

If you are just wanting to do Playday type events or Targa Tour these seats are fine. The shells are proven strong. The brackets and sliders are sub par but they've held up. I didnt want to spend too much as I didn't know if a bucket was for me - its certainly is and next time Ill look to do it better. These are a cheap 1800 nzd option (pair landed) and they will fit and take a tall driver with the wholes at the right height. They are also very light.

Ive attached a whole tonne of pictures so you can get a feel for them. I had leather cushions as well as alacantera made (for another 100 nzd). The passenger alacantera are slightly thicker for my wife's back. There are manually adjustable lumbar pads for both seats.
Attached Images                
Old 02-21-2013 | 12:08 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Lol, yup 6'4" is pushing it for me. Cutting the sunroof out was as much for headroom as it was for a more accurate recreation of an RS if I'm really honest.
Old 02-21-2013 | 12:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sparco Evos are a really lovely seat. I hankered after a set for ages after seeing these pictures but again didn't wish to spend to much at the time in case the bucket concept didn't suit....

John. I think Sean's advice is very sound. Try his seats and see if they work for you. You are both similar height so hes the best information on here by far...
Attached Images   
Old 02-21-2013 | 12:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Its always been the problem with the older 911 platform. For Motorsports its not an easy car to drive comfortably once over 6'2" without the necessary modifications...
Old 02-21-2013 | 03:56 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

The would make a fab targa / track day car...........

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-565372919.htm
Old 02-21-2013 | 04:16 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Nice! I'm pretty sure my next P-car will be a Cayman, not for a couple more years though. The new one seems to be getting a lot of praise.

Lots of buying/selling/upgrading action going on here! Good stuff.

Hey Matt, I assume Graham's blue GT3 that he traded in is long gone?
Old 02-21-2013 | 04:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. How classic Peter2CS emailed me today about a lovely white Cayman R he saw as passed CCS today going to work!! Bet its the same car...but its not an R....they go well though as evidenced by the 20008 variant on the Targa last year...
Old 02-21-2013 | 04:21 AM
mjg
Pro

I'd be very wary of the early Caymans... in fact, anything with an M96/M97 engine if you're going to track it heavily. The gen2s with DFI engines sound like they're fine.

What's the story with the blue GT3? I don't think I know Graham... possible I met him and forgot the name, I'm terrible with those.
Old 02-21-2013 | 04:28 AM
Obsessed
Pro

You probably haven't met him, but his Rennlist name is "993man" and he's gone to the dark side (see post at bottom of page 52 of this thread). I'm sure the GT3 would be advertised if it were still for sale though.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?