Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Great video. Its a shame the editing suit compresses them to a point they are very pixilated. Maybe step them up a couple of notches resolution wise. A few observations. The 996TT is very quiet inside even on the gas. its not the soul drive your C4 is. Make sure you take the C4 to reianga. You can even hear the radio LOL! Matts exhaust sounds great. Thats a natural overtaking point I should think in terms of a racing line. The 991S had less power and torque than you so Im glad you kept it honest. Looks like a good turnout and ideal weather. They have really changed the back 1/4 of the track from when I was last there 10 years ago.
I feel for those using YouTube to watch these. The raw tv resolution is fine but even 720p just doesn't look nearly as good and it was 680 mb to download. If you are interested in a short sequence I can load in Dropbox in raw format.

Yes, radio was on and the car is very quiet. The Turbo 3.6 is similar in tone. It's a turbo thing. Great for long drives in comfort but not a racing noise. C4 all the way from here.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:19 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Matt's power pass down the main straight (looking a bit tail light under braking there Matt - not a good place to step out).
At least that looked how it felt... very bumpy (worse than the outside line) and holding on to the wheel tighter than necessary probably causes unnecessary steering input. From a couple of other angles:

Pretty sure you can hear my tyres chirp there...
Old 01-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds good inside too Matt. I take it you are happy with the new exhaust?

Dang those 996 clubsport seats cut into camera visibility tho....
Old 01-27-2014, 07:31 PM
mjg
Pro

Yeah, very happy with it. It's not as loud as I expected, but it's plenty loud enough and still fine when cruising. Not many mods left to do on the car now, I don't think.

The camera could definitely be better positioned, I didn't really bother to align it before using it yesterday.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Yeah, very happy with it. It's not as loud as I expected, but it's plenty loud enough and still fine when cruising. Not many mods left to do on the car now, I don't think.

Must be time to sell it then soon Matt? Only joking!

Pretty sure there would be a que of people from around here at your door. Its the perfect platform for track, Targa and a bit of touring without having mega money on the line. I really like the spec, its got all the good fruit on it now, makes better power, brakes harder and better handling performance (suspension) than the factory 996.2 GT3 too. For me its the perfect blend of old and new, in a durable modestly priced package. Starting over again I would be jumping right into what you have or a 997.1 GT3/RS (although I doubt there is anything in it between your car and a stock 997.1 GT3 now).

Getting the GoPro in the right position is a PITA agreed. Looks like you have less space between the tops of the seats than in both my cars so need to extend it forward a bit.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:13 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Must be time to sell it then soon Matt?
Got my eye on this beauty...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-690382304.htm
Name:  301858059.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  75.1 KB
Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Rare bird. I think it was Henery Catchpole or one of the EVO team that reviewed this car last year in EVO as a "revisited" drivers car and found it to be alot of fun. It would be a good investment although at those $$$ firmly in the ballpark of some great Lotus options.....
Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
At least that looked how it felt... very bumpy (worse than the outside line) and holding on to the wheel tighter than necessary probably causes unnecessary steering input. From a couple of other angles:

Pretty sure you can hear my tyres chirp there...
What bumps - I didn't feel any bumps in the 993........??

In the C3 the car bounced so badly I took it in on the Monday as I thought the shocks might have needed re-bushing. I'd hate to think what's its like in a proper race car.....?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

CCS have diagnosed my problem as a metal coolant connector being blown out of the engine block.

The fitting is particular to the Turbo, but GT3s have a similar fitting.

It will be re-bonded, tested and hopefully back on the road very soon.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:20 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
What bumps - I didn't feel any bumps in the 993........?? In the C3 the car bounced so badly I took it in on the Monday as I thought the shocks might have needed re-bushing. I'd hate to think what's its like in a proper race car.....? .
Following Steve around a few times he was lucky to have three wheels on the ground in parts. Very unsettling.

Do these bumps get meticulously preserved by a secret commission to maintain the character that is Puke, or do they just not care.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:28 PM
CS Mende
Pro

CCS have diagnosed my problem as a metal coolant connector being blown out of the engine block. The fitting is particular to the Turbo, but GT3s have a similar fitting. It will be re-bonded, tested and hopefully back on the road very soon.
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery! I remember a local indy drilling and pinning the fittings as preventative maintenance on 996 turbos. Apparently happens frequently during US summers.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery! I remember a local indy drilling and pinning the fittings as preventative maintenance on 996 turbos. Apparently happens frequently during US summers.
A google search brought up a lot of results. It's not a rare occurrence. Luckily no engine drop required to fix it.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:11 AM
mjg
Pro

A google search brought up a lot of results. It's not a rare occurrence. Luckily no engine drop required to fix it.
Is that because you're only fixing the one that let go? I understand an engine drop is required to gain access to all 8. If that's not true it makes preventative work look a lot more appealing...
Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Is that because you're only fixing the one that let go? I understand an engine drop is required to gain access to all 8. If that's not true it makes preventative work look a lot more appealing...
Correct. I'm in fix the one, not fix the lot (preventative) mode. The latter would require an engine drop. It may come back to bite me but I suppose that's the gamble we take with each decision we make.

It's also the reason I don't like selling to people I know. I'd never knowingly sell a defective vehicle but I don't want to feel responsible if something lets loose down the track. It's a risk with all old cars. The 996TT is 13 years old and 163,000km on the clock.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:47 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Here's what I found on his blog. (Karl Wilen aka PorscheDoc) http://www.rennsportkc.com/porsche-9...quick-repairs/

Seems like a good idea to consider doing the ones you can w/o engine drop.

If you search you'll find my car somewhere getting prepped to come over!

C

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?