Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 10:50 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Cross post : It would be good to see the S out there and see where the times come out

The R 'needs' some track mods to get the suspension settings I have with Herman. More specifically I want more camber. I also want track tyres etc. It may actually be easier to leave it as a weekend warrior....
My guess is Pete's car would be good for a 1.15.xx with 221's, GT3 master cylinder and serious track geo.

Peter's car was faster than Macca and I in a straight line on the SITT, he would pull a couple of car lengths, but we would smoke him on about lap 3, once his road tyres went off.

Given I have recorded a low 16 in my 993 on the above track setup spec, Pete must have a second in it with the better inherent chassis handling and faster straight line speed.

John - your car on 221's and track geo must be a 14.xx in the right hands being lighter and faster than Pete's??

A whole lotta assumptions going on there - but my money is on a high 14 for your car JMc.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:05 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
My guess is Pete's car would be good for a 1.15.xx with 221's, GT3 master cylinder and serious track geo.

Peter's car was faster than Macca and I in a straight line on the SITT, he would pull a couple of car lengths, but we would smoke him on about lap 3, once his road tyres went off.

Given I have recorded a low 16 in my 993 on the above track setup spec, Pete must have a second in it with the better inherent chassis handling and faster straight line speed.

John - your car on 221's and track geo must be a 14.xx in the right hands being lighter and faster than Pete's??

A whole lotta assumptions going on there - but my money is on a high 14 for your car JMc.
you turning into Macca in his absence with all the timing hypothessis
Old 03-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like this page though
Mmmm yes like that page too.

Won't be able to make this weekends run, so I will have to wait a bit longer to meet some of you.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:46 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Right now it will likely be Herman out there on Z221s. May even put the 214s on the front, if it's dry. This is the best chance ever to go sub 1.19.50 and claim the C4 crown.

Tracking the R is a longer term proposition. I need instructor training to get insurance and I'm working through a list of mods. As per usual it seems to be big $$$. If Herman continues to hold up and keep most non GT3 cars honest it can take as long as it needs.
I'll be there in an R... Don't leave me hanging John...

If I can get an afternoon session in before the 28th I'll be on tropheo r's, got do do an initial heat cycle to break them in.

That being said I won't be pushing it being my first track day in it.

What mods are you planning for your R?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:51 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

What timing equipment are you guys generally using? Aim? Is anyone using 'Harry's Lap Timer' app with external sensors/gps?
Old 03-11-2015, 01:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
I'll be there in an R... Don't leave me hanging John...

If I can get an afternoon session in before the 28th I'll be on tropheo r's, got do do an initial heat cycle to break them in.

That being said I won't be pushing it being my first track day in it.

What mods are you planning for your R?
Theres a Prestige Playday Group on Monday, 27th April. I may well sneak the R down for that, but won't do two cars on the arrive and drive, it's too hard. I need to make sure Herman is still faster than Lola on the 28th!

As for mods, I'm still researching, but they centre around getting more camber adjustment in the front. Normally done with GT3 LCAs. Maybe put 7mm spacers up front as well to widen the track. I'll fit some track pads, probably PFC 08, which work well on the 964. Then the big one is track wheels and tyres. In my experience they take seconds off lap times. However, it's a big cost. Most of all though I need insurance...
Old 03-11-2015, 01:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

What timing equipment are you guys generally using? Aim? Is anyone using 'Harry's Lap Timer' app with external sensors/gps?
AIM Solo is the weapon of choice. Lots of data to analyse and it just works.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Mmmm yes like that page too.

Won't be able to make this weekends run, so I will have to wait a bit longer to meet some of you.
Comments about driving experience bode well for future values, if that's important, which it is to me. The R is either a very expensive 987 or a cheap GTS/GT4 alternative.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:34 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Made a start on a customers 964 the other day which suffered a punch in the nose pushing the spare wheel tray upwards to the chassis rail quite a lot putting a nasty kink in the side panel as well as it having a few random dents in the body.
In all well worth putting back on the road and somewhat surprised they wrote it off considering it was insured for 35k.

Made a start on the dent in the back guard, certainly makes things easier when they are accessible from both sides. Came out very nicely and a good prime should take care of that.
The front tub floor was pretty mangled and obviously some of the dents were from past groundings etc which was a good enough reason to do the whole thing and get everything back to how it should be.
A port a power does wonders in these situations with a few pushes in the right places got the tub roughly back to where it should be and meant that I could drill off the battery doubler plate and split the floor along the side seam so that everything can be dressed up before welding.

Some of the spot welds had popped apart in the accident so they would require welding anyway.
Will strip off the underseal and seam sealer next to get back to a bare metal surface before I finish shaping the rest of the floor so that it meets the side panel nicely and can then be final welded.
Should have it off to the body shop for a laser measure next week I think.
Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2015, 02:13 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
Made a start on a customers 964 the other day which suffered a punch in the nose pushing the spare wheel tray upwards to the chassis rail quite a lot putting a nasty kink in the side panel as well as it having a few random dents in the body. In all well worth putting back on the road and somewhat surprised they wrote it off considering it was insured for 35k. Made a start on the dent in the back guard, certainly makes things easier when they are accessible from both sides. Came out very nicely and a good prime should take care of that. The front tub floor was pretty mangled and obviously some of the dents were from past groundings etc which was a good enough reason to do the whole thing and get everything back to how it should be. A port a power does wonders in these situations with a few pushes in the right places got the tub roughly back to where it should be and meant that I could drill off the battery doubler plate and split the floor along the side seam so that everything can be dressed up before welding. Some of the spot welds had popped apart in the accident so they would require welding anyway. Will strip off the underseal and seam sealer next to get back to a bare metal surface before I finish shaping the rest of the floor so that it meets the side panel nicely and can then be final welded. Should have it off to the body shop for a laser measure next week I think.
Good work John. Another 964 lives.

Brw I noticed my tinsnips are made by Raco. Is that the reason for your forum name?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:28 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Brw I noticed my tinsnips are made by Raco. Is that the reason for your forum name?
Ha! no.........that is a long story....
Old 03-11-2015, 02:36 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
LOL. And maybe ! for Turbos

Then again, can see Jake's point too - it could become a competition for the longest swear word, and the cheat sheet might take away some of the joy of discovery - kind of like a girl turning up naked for your first date
Nothing like seeing first, second and third base before you have to commit to a whole innings....
Old 03-11-2015, 03:41 AM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

Greetings all,

Time to introduce myself, been lurking for long enough. Have just become a member of RSG and have signed up as a reserve for the booked out arrive and drive day on 28th. After talking with Steve R even if no slots open up I may still come up to meet alot of you and see what its all about. Having only been to HD a handful of times will be good to just be there.

nmaisey = Nathan*

964 c2 tip
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2015, 04:09 AM
young_dennis
Advanced

Originally Posted by racoguy
Made a start on a customers 964 the other day which suffered a punch in the nose pushing the spare wheel tray upwards to the chassis rail quite a lot putting a nasty kink in the side panel as well as it having a few random dents in the body.
In all well worth putting back on the road and somewhat surprised they wrote it off considering it was insured for 35k.

Made a start on the dent in the back guard, certainly makes things easier when they are accessible from both sides. Came out very nicely and a good prime should take care of that.
The front tub floor was pretty mangled and obviously some of the dents were from past groundings etc which was a good enough reason to do the whole thing and get everything back to how it should be.
A port a power does wonders in these situations with a few pushes in the right places got the tub roughly back to where it should be and meant that I could drill off the battery doubler plate and split the floor along the side seam so that everything can be dressed up before welding.

Some of the spot welds had popped apart in the accident so they would require welding anyway.
Will strip off the underseal and seam sealer next to get back to a bare metal surface before I finish shaping the rest of the floor so that it meets the side panel nicely and can then be final welded.
Should have it off to the body shop for a laser measure next week I think.
Is that already popped our now John? Or is this prior to you repairing?
Old 03-11-2015, 04:20 AM
Aadjan van Holst
Track Day

Welcome! Your car looks great!!!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?