Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 02:59 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Tony is likely the man, given the 'pilot' mention.
Correct. Went for drive today and bought it on the spot. Shame for the air-cooled brigade - I even took photos of Mr Black to tempt him today!
Old 01-19-2014, 03:06 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I've tried the Dunlops on the 996tt and liked them. Just at an RSG day, so no long distance or wet.
Congrats on the solid results mate. Been following you on MyLaps!

Will see what Richard @ Goodyear has in stock.

Also waiting to hear from Peter Martin on the penalties. If it's $500 per set rather than $500 per event then I will be testing out the Federals on the 26th of Feb, that's for sure.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:40 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Congrats on the solid results mate. Been following you on MyLaps!

Will see what Richard @ Goodyear has in stock.

Also waiting to hear from Peter Martin on the penalties. If it's $500 per set rather than $500 per event then I will be testing out the Federals on the 26th of Feb, that's for sure.
Thanks Sean, some good battles and fast cars and hot this afternoon, but good fun.

I will run the Dunlops in the Tour because thats what I've got and we dont have rules.

In past conversations with Dave Taylor he rated the Federals for the Targa.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:01 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Yup - but will be able to share brake pad stories with Doug. And another potential traveller to the Cape.
Awesome news. Looks like the same colour as my Boxster S? Another similar car to play with, whoopee :-)
Old 01-19-2014, 04:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Ferrari Dummy Grid.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:40 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks for sharing these videos John. Amazed at how many Ferraris were there. Beautiful music too :-)
Old 01-19-2014, 04:45 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tony is likely the man, given the 'pilot' mention.
Correct. Went for drive today and bought it on the spot. Shame for the air-cooled brigade - I even took photos of Mr Black to tempt him today!
Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And here's the latest RSG car... (subject to PPI)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-686756525.htm

One very happy pilot!
That's great news for Tony. I didn't realise he was in the market for a Cayman though. I know someone locally who wants to sell his Cayman S, specs he gave me are:

2006 Cayman S, 43000kms
Black metallic paint
5 speed tiptronic transmission with manual gear selection override
Black Leather interior, 14 direction electric seats
Carbon fibre interior package (full)
Sport chrono pack including sport mode (Includes reduced shift time for transmission and more aggressive engine timing profile)
19 inch Carrera wheels, body color with rim in silver, colored Porsche inserts
White gauge faces for chronometer and dashboard

He's asking around $55k if anyone else is interested (PM me).
Old 01-19-2014, 05:36 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

John, great videos, thanks for sharing. And it looks like you and Paul are consistently in the top 10 of the classic trials, good stuff. Chris, some good finishing spots for you too. And I would've loved to see those races with Steve, dammit!

Next year is Porsche, right?
Old 01-19-2014, 05:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Hi Michael, next year is Gulf Oil F5000, 2016 is Porsche.

I have a lot more footage. However, time is short right now. I will dribble it out as I edit it. Some has Steve, Chris & Micheal racing through turns 3 & 4.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting choice by Tony.

John. Great videos thanks. Submarine cable was launched last week so in a few months time I hope to be able to watch these properly (and upload the ones I have finally edited since the trip). A suggestion on mounting would be to use The Frame and Roll Bar Mount for your rear harness bar. Add the 3.5mm mic adaptor and buy a dedicated clip on mic to aim backwards towards the rear parcel shelf. Settings will then be best at Medium zoom, 1080 @ 48 fps or above. This is the set up I will be testing in its final refined config during SITT. Also recommend extended battery and Wifi remote.

Sean. Some of the guys on Federal were complaining about the compound in the 2012 Targa. As we are "Tourists" I doubt many of us will be running an R compound tyre as its not really needed to keep up with the pack and a decent road tyre is more durable and better for varied conditions. I used RE11 last time and got 5 days, 950km closed stages and 2000km touring out of those fine with enough left over for a further track day and 2500 km touring (on the fronts at least)! Ill probably go Supersports next time. Only 4-5 cars out of 30-40 on the Tour were using R compounds and the issue was wear (most had to miss 1/4-1/2 a day to go to a town and have some new ones fitted etc). A well pedalled 964 or 993 can maintain position in the front group and after that its all traffic determined by lead car pace as you already know. The competition is quite different so I think tyres become a more critical choice. In this case however you may as well go for the control tyre and save some money as a few seconds over the course of a stage is easily made up for (or lost) buy proficient driving and less mistakes....
Old 01-19-2014, 06:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, I managed to fit the GoPro to the harness bar but couldn't work out how to get it to adjust for the different lighting in and outside the car, so it showed internal detail well and blew out the exterior. Today I mounted it on the scuttle. I use the iPhone app to control. It works well. Just need more practice.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. If you turn the metering to spot it will keep the view through the window in balance. I have many videos in and out of tunnels and although it does take a few seconds coming into bright light it always balances. I've found the sound inside the car gives a much better feel to the experience and even better still when you can see the instruments, wheels and shifter as useful later for reviewing lines and shifts, speed etc. As you can see from the still below the light balance is fine (Ive cropped this tight to the front window by the way).

I've recently purchased an iPhone 5S and just loaded up Harry Laptimer petrolhead with the additional Optrix movie generator. This as others know is a nice way of generating live mapping overlay data (includes placement on track map, speed, g-force etc) against a background image that can be through the car window or with iPhone you can use the reverse camera to catch some cockpit action. I picked up a decent bracket and I figure this would be great mounded where I mounted the GPS in Europe with the GoPro playing behind then do some basic picture in picture editing later on. Only issue at this time is iPhone resolution for video is still only 720p at this time and lens+metering and AF focus does not seem well optimised for clarity at the speeds we travel until the next Gen iPhone appears...
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Unfortunately the GoPro iPhone app isnt real time....and the wifi kills the battery hence the need for the Battery BacPac to get any meaningful life from the. With my settings and a 32GB SD card, backPac using Wifi for stop start activation only and on 48fps x 1080 spot on medium I can shoot around 70 minutes of constant footage before the batteries fail and still have another 74 mins of room on the card. The wireless remote fob battery is usually exhausted after 70 mins so after that its a battery change and manual activation.

Another tip is to back up your SD files and check their quality before erasing teh SD card. I lost two great files of my Europe trip by purging the cards to quickly to learn later that the files on my PC per corrupted on the transfer. Very annoyed. I also missed three absolutely ***** to the wall driving sessions in the alpes because the stupid GoPro was set to still frame and a massive Route Napoleon assault where I was threading these beautiful corners at 150-200kmph but the damn battery was kaput!! GoPro can be bloody fiddly and you have to factor for 20% disappointment I have found!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
P.S. Unfortunately the GoPro iPhone app isnt real time....and the wifi kills the battery hence the need for the Battery BacPac to get any meaningful life from the. With my settings and a 32GB SD card, backPac using Wifi for stop start activation only and on 48fps x 1080 spot on medium I can shoot around 70 minutes of constant footage before the batteries fail and still have another 74 mins of room on the card. The wireless remote fob battery is usually exhausted after 70 mins so after that its a battery change and manual activation. Another tip is to back up your SD files and check their quality before erasing teh SD card. I lost two great files of my Europe trip by purging the cards to quickly to learn later that the files on my PC per corrupted on the transfer. Very annoyed. I also missed three absolutely ***** to the wall driving sessions in the alpes because the stupid GoPro was set to still frame and a massive Route Napoleon assault where I was threading these beautiful corners at 150-200kmph but the damn battery was kaput!! GoPro can be bloody fiddly and you have to factor for 20% disappointment I have found!
During the meet I walked around using manual activation. It's reliable if you listen to the noises. As for power supply, I'm getting a hard wired source. I have two batteries but it's a pain. Also the iPhone 5S battery gutted flattened quickly with the wifi. Thanks for the warning on cards. Learning more with each use. Need to hold it steady and choose shots so I can edit later on. Using GoPro Studio, as it just seems to work.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?