Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Is she going to be there?
No, I think Paul declared it a bogan free day. You are safe. It will be good to see you back out there, and great advertising for Rennsport Gruppe. PCNZ members are seeing a lot of us lately. We certainly were prominent in the latest Spiel Mag. Probably thank Paul for that.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Found the page https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...procedure.html

According to those instructions I need 7, 9 and 11 mm flare wrenches. Super cheap only had 9 & 11mm. Looks like I can wait to find the 7mm, as I don't need it for the brake calipers.
No need for those anyway, a ring end will do the same job.
The 7mm is for the locks.
I have found poor quality flare wrenches to round off the bleed nipples when they are seized where as a ring end won't.
Must say the clutch didn't like being pressure bled, had to do that manually.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Alignment and ride height setting on Thursday with Pete Adler. I'll drive it out to HD on Saturday. Simon wants me to take video of the racing and I have arranged a media pass to get the vantage point , but not sure I want to spend 3 hrs in the rain stranded in the outfield. We'll see. Let's hope it's dry. The girls may be coming as well, albeit sitting in the comfort of the apartment.

After that I'll repaint the calipers. I've ordered the decals from the UK. No hurry. I've also got plans to take the guts out of my spare cat to release some more power. If Doug does arrive on Z221s I'll be pushing it to keep up. I do plan to take out 1.19.64 though
Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Fair enough, it will be interesting to see if you can do it faster!
If it's not raining Saturday, I'll be there with the family entourage so they can catch a glimpse of what it's like on a busy day in and around the track.

C
Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
No need for those anyway, a ring end will do the same job.
The 7mm is for the locks.
I have found poor quality flare wrenches to round off the bleed nipples when they are seized where as a ring end won't.
Must say the clutch didn't like being pressure bled, had to do that manually.
You sound like you're very handy with a wrench. You're running a 964, right?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:26 AM
racoguy
Racer

964 indeed, C4 actually. All steel backdate happening........making my own panels.
Goal is to loose 200kg
Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
964 indeed, C4 actually. All steel backdate happening........making my own panels.
Goal is to loose 200kg
That's one heck of a lightening. Easier if the 4WD is dispensed with, a real mission if not. Will you be coming to the track?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^.
Hey Macca, I will try and load a video on here but it could take some time. I can see exactly what you are saying and the comparison with my lines is illuminating. We can certainly learn from the videos. I keep everything on but should , I suppose, try with everything off when I get a chance and a clear track.
I try both ways around 10 and generally find double apex is best . Get to 145 kph at the end of the rumble strip.
See you all soon. Cheers Neil
Old 07-22-2014, 07:44 AM
racoguy
Racer

That's one heck of a lightening. Easier if the 4WD is dispensed with, a real mission if not. Will you be coming to the track?
4wd is going if I have my way, track? don't know......depends how nice the car turns out.
That's my conundrum, full gut and rebuild will make it too nice to abuse but then if I half **** I won't be happy....go figure.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:10 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

The plan is to put BB out there on the 2nd. If we get six sessions on the day it's $36 per session, which covers Playday and petrol. Absolute priority is co-owners not on the board.
Count me in - I'll be out even if only to set a wet lap time. If Matt G can make it that'll be close to filling out the leaderboard
Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Neil. Ive looked at 4-5 laps footage and getting 149/150 kmph there. Doesnt seem to change much between double apex and tightening radius as you say although the footage of me chasing the Gulf 964 around the sweeper (tightening radius) was the quickest with a fractionally higher exit speed at the end of the rumble strip. I think the tightening radius option is the easier to get consistent with. Where I was loosing time was infield corners 3 and not getting off the brake earlier on 1. I think with one I have a bad habit of braking hard and late but this doesnt allow much trail braking to keep up the speed through corner 1. Corner 1 in the GT3 can carry more speed than the 993 and the GT3 is more stable so braking lighter and earlier will allow more speed to be carried through that corner....all interesting stuff - lets hope I dont have to wait 18 more months to try HD again and put these theories to practice!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ok, that pretty much fills BB's dance card.

We have Chris B, Jason and Pete looking to do first runs. Neil is a definite starter for his second run as he's doing the Prestige group anyway and Chris M may make it. I think that's enough.

Pete can you book BB in as a normal group entry? I'll book myself in the normal group with Herman as practice for the Sprints.

Assuming you all get a run, the leader board will have 11 names. Only Matt G, Macca and Walter to get up there before one of us blows BB up.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

next time at HD John Im a starter for sure. Tyres will be slicks by then ;-). Im hoping to get another HD day in again May next year when Im in NZ for the Targa Tour (unless there are some Playdays after Xmas and before Festival of Speed in Jan).
Old 07-22-2014, 09:59 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
This guy has some great ideas! Maybe I should ask his advice as I had the same problem in the 964 on saturday coming into Barrel 51. As Dave can testify from the smoke in front of him. Left rear lock-up. This happened twice at the same point before Barrel 51. Not sure if this is something that happens much with you other 964ers? But whether there needs to be some biasing work I need to do. The rears are 4 pots. Jake if you see some more Japanese porsche style it would be great to see them, What did you end up renting for your drive?
Seen a third 911; white C2 cab 964, driven by an angry looking older gentleman wearing what looked like gardening gloves and accompanied by an attractive young lady. A couple of 981's about as well. No chance to take photos so far.

Will let you know what I manage to rent. Haven't got a conclusive answer from the system at cafore.jp. Unsure how it works and site is not English friendly. May not come to fruition. Might have to settle for a GT86 instead. Would be slightly more fitting. Anything will be better than the X-Trail.

Originally Posted by Macca
Here's a little clip for some fun - features Ralf and friends. Phil stars here, Richard Snow is in the distance and I think shortly after the clip ends Chris M plays a role... Ill stop boring you all now. Just getting an overdose on broadband fibre (50mBPS). I cant believe Ive done almost 150GB of upload to the cloud in only 4 days! Video Link: http://youtu.be/6OP0LvAd5qY
The sound is intoxicating. Bloody marvelous. Can't wait to hear it first hand.

I suspect this is a slippery slope I need to think hard about. Just hit 105,000km in 21 years. I suspect investing a lot of time in detailing will make me reluctant to drive it too much. That said I couldn't resist this morning.
Such a great looking car. I find the best place to process complex thought is behind the wheel alongside other like minded 'academics'...
Old 07-22-2014, 03:13 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Paul I've just registered online for the sprints -- hope there's a spot left. It's been so long you'll need to remind me which way to drive around the track...
Will be nice to see you there Michael.

I'll book myself in the normal group with Herman as practice for the Sprints.
Sounds serious John :-P

No changes to Lola at this stage and running R888's as usual so you are probably safe.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Will be nice to see you there Michael. Sounds serious John :-P No changes to Lola at this stage and running R888's as usual so you are probably safe.
I want to practice turn one. That's where I will make the time to go low 1:19.xx and keep Lola off my butt!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?