Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:29 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Googled my own question. 100 km/hr to 50km/hr 30 times. Would have been good o know this after I installed my OEM pads
Everyone will have 2 cents on the process but...

If race compounds I would have Steve install them at HD before a track day and bed them in at the back of the pack on the "sighting laps" that Playday do. That's what I've done in the past anyway. Too many variables on the road to do it properly and even driving them to a country road from town isn't great. You want temp in them pretty quickly.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:31 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
From the offical Porsche Youtube channel:

That movement is pretty cool.
I appreciate the engineering but wouldn't be seen dead in it!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:35 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
OT. Brotha in need of help/advice...

But does anyone have any inside skinny on dealing with a major car rental company (at Auyckland Airport) who are claiming we damaged the underside of their vehicle last week (we rented a car for my wife for 3 days she did 262km and didnt grind it out anywhere - the damage obviously existed before we took the car)?

After a perfect trip this car rental company saw fit to charge our card $3500 NZD (no waiver). Have been dealing with it all day - we take pictures of our cars date stamped and GPS when we pick them up and return them but obviously dont carry a portable hoist to inspect the under carriage.

This is the second time this has happened to us in 8 weeks - the first time the company admitted fault and refunded (still cost us transaction fees and FX as it was foreign currency). Both incidences at Auckland Airport International. This time however its more difficult to prove and we have a fight on our hands.

If anyone is connected to the industry or been through something similar would appreciate some advice (please PM me).

After a perfect trip to be left with a bitter taste in the mouth at the NZ end is not so good. Personally I believe there is a bit of a scam going on with these companies to drive additional revenue via claims (a google search shows its rife and Auckland Airport comes up a number of times). Be warned and also take the reduced excess - once you pay for that they probably leave you alone....
I just can't believe this. Although I can't think of anything, I'd look at a lawyer. If they can't prove it wasn't there before you picked it up then it's your word against theirs?

Probably some idiot who works there mucking around in the car after you dropped it off and trying to push blame on the customer.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:10 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Sucks Macca. Unfortunately I dont know anyone in the rental car industry and haven't heard of this before.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:12 AM
O2GO
Drifting

More industry opinion on the new Targa's impact on classic Targa values

http://www.findaporsche.com/porsche-...w-roof-system/
Old 01-14-2014, 02:20 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Fine..............I just put it out there...............
Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way... it's just that I can't imagine you going at anything except full speed, good intentions or not

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Let's all bring our AIM's and the looser pay's the first round...........
Sadly I'm not doing the SITT -- probably for the best though because I'd be buying an awful lot of beer!
Old 01-14-2014, 02:27 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Newbie question. Where do I find instructions on bedding in brakes? Is specific to each brand?

I need to fit new pads on Friday night and race on Saturday. I will have to find a place to do this. Maybe go out West

Given you will only be cruising around while doing the classic trials, this would be an adequate bed-in process.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
OT. Brotha in need of help/advice...

But does anyone have any inside skinny on dealing with a major car rental company (at Auyckland Airport) who are claiming we damaged the underside of their vehicle last week (we rented a car for my wife for 3 days she did 262km and didnt grind it out anywhere - the damage obviously existed before we took the car)?

After a perfect trip this car rental company saw fit to charge our card $3500 NZD (no waiver). Have been dealing with it all day - we take pictures of our cars date stamped and GPS when we pick them up and return them but obviously dont carry a portable hoist to inspect the under carriage.

This is the second time this has happened to us in 8 weeks - the first time the company admitted fault and refunded (still cost us transaction fees and FX as it was foreign currency). Both incidences at Auckland Airport International. This time however its more difficult to prove and we have a fight on our hands.

If anyone is connected to the industry or been through something similar would appreciate some advice (please PM me).

After a perfect trip to be left with a bitter taste in the mouth at the NZ end is not so good. Personally I believe there is a bit of a scam going on with these companies to drive additional revenue via claims (a google search shows its rife and Auckland Airport comes up a number of times). Be warned and also take the reduced excess - once you pay for that they probably leave you alone....
Macca,

If you can't wiggle out of it, you at least should have the right to see a breakdown of the damage and costs, and to seek an independent quote. $3.5K is a lot of panel damage???
Old 01-14-2014, 03:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Paul. You are dead right. Not only were we not responsible for the damage (I suspect it was whomever had the car before us) but even if were were its 4-500$ of damage not $3500 (see pictures below). Heck I reckon teh damage even looks old - Im sure a panel expert will confer.

I am currently lining up a panel beater and getting a quote from a Toyota dealer parts dept to substantial your point in case. A plastic under-tray, a white metal strip and a bend brace dont constitute $3500 unless its was a Lexus supercar. The thing reading the web is that there seems to be a theme where they often save these up for a client who has not reduced his excess. I think its a little profit centre all of its own!

Anyone wishing to rent us a car on our regular visits please get in contact (we will need a car for around 35 days in 2014). I thought selling the M5 was a prudent move to reduce costs and hassle but clearly I am mistaken...
Attached Images   
Old 01-14-2014, 03:11 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Macca - you could do worse than give Roger S a bell. He knows this side of the industry inside out.

Presume you won't need a car over the period of the SI tour but if you do I will have one free provided the Cayman lands in time.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Threaten to go to fair go. In fact email fair go and copy them in.......
Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Wow. Now this guy can drive…

Old 01-14-2014, 08:05 AM
mjg
Pro

That's a great video.

Another:

Some driving inspiration for the long hood crowd?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:00 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Macca

1) Get a written estimate from a panel beater, including his opinion on how long ago the damage was done, i.e weeks/months etc. Even if you have to pay him to do it. The surface rust and amount of dust/dirt will be a giveaway.
2)I am not sure but I think under the guarantees act they had to ask you if you wanted to put it right yourself before levelling a fee.
3) definitely write to Fair go and mention that this may be part of an ongoing scam and cc them in - watch the dust fly...
Old 01-14-2014, 11:29 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Also look into you travel insurance (through credit card?) as it will likely cover the cost.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?