Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:25 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Had a four hour round trip to the Hokianga and back from Oakura. Great day to be roofless. Photo is at Rawene. Lunched at the famous Boatshed Cafe. Its in the background of photo 1
Great pic 1 - great way to spend the day!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:29 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Chris if the belts become and issue I have some in storage.... P.S. Is teh damage bad to the bumper and wheels? How did they manage that? How Friggin annoying. Why does it have to be this way!
Wheels are really minimal, curbing on right rear of a couple inches. No biggie - but I want to be the one putting the dings in.

Rear bumper was rubbing against something for a while - I am guessing the retaining wall holding our goods shifted into it. Will require respray - reminds me of the conversation at John McM's about matching shades of white!

C
Old 01-16-2014, 03:56 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Wheels are really minimal, curbing on right rear of a couple inches. No biggie - but I want to be the one putting the dings in.

Rear bumper was rubbing against something for a while - I am guessing the retaining wall holding our goods shifted into it. Will require respray - reminds me of the conversation at John McM's about matching shades of white!

C
Sorry to hear that mate, frustrating. I'm not looking forward to having to go through the same with mine. If it makes you feel better, at least you're not trying to do it with a race car! Let me know if I can help at all. Tools and storage are still on offer in Puke if you need it.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

993 rear lights http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-686274436.htm

Same seller has lowering springs for sale.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

RSG banner order time. Go to the Rennsport forum site.
Attached Images   

Last edited by John McM; 01-16-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Suggestion from Paul. Our race entries gives us 4 tickets each to both days next weekend. We could make it a drive and watch event for whoever wants to go. Just a seed to sow.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:59 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
Guys, thanks for all the ideas. Some really valuable feedback here and a number I had not thought to explore such as travel insurance etc. We will also definitely be asking them for pre pick up photos (date stamped) to show the car underneath before we took it...

Really do appreciate folk taking the time to respond. Very much appreciated. I will let you know how things progress.
Hi Macca, as both an ex-rental car company and insurance company employee I can provide a little bit of info.

First off most rental car companies will charge the full excess in the event of any damage and later refund anything over what it cost to do the actual repair. It's not a particular customer friendly way to operate but it is standard business practice. So you should check if the company has gotten a quote and or the work done yet because they may not be intending on charging you that full excess.

Secondly the insurance ombudsman won't be of any assistance in this instance as this is not actually an insurance related issue, it is one between yourself and the rental car company based around the contract you signed when hiring.

The rental car contract would have most likely stated that it is your obligation to check that any pre-existing damage is identified before you take the car, however as noted by others you have reasonable claim to the fact it is unreasonable to expect you to inspect the underside of the vehicle, particularly based on the fact their forms do not have a section for the underneath and you cannot easily inspect that area.

As also mentioned it is relatively easy for a decent panel beater to determine the age of damage to the time frame of a few months based on rust buildup etc (they do this often for insurance claims), however if the damage was done within the same month as your hire it will be very difficult to rule out yourself doing it.

Many NZ credit cards at a Gold or Platinum level have cover for rental car insurance excesses providing the hire was paid for using that card. If you did use a card that has cover your easiest path is to simply use that. Otherwise a well worded email to the NZ head office of this rental car company should convince them that it isn't worth their time taking the money off you since you will fight them and the actual cost to them for this repair will be very small (due to the large amount of business they put through panel beaters they can get it done for a lot cheaper than any one off quote you or I could get).

If the rental company don't back down and you are not covered by your credit card then a trip to the Citizen's Advice Bureaux is usually a good next step (or talking to your lawyer if you are on good terms and he/she won't charge you more than the repairs cost for 30 min) as the the likely path with be Disputes Tribunal.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:51 PM
mikee6421
Track Day

Originally Posted by John McM
Suggestion from Paul. Our race entries gives us 4 tickets each to both days next weekend. We could make it a drive and watch event for whoever wants to go. Just a seed to sow.
I'm keen but happy to sit at the end of the queue if any other RSG folk wish to go.

BTW Macca, in addition to the excellent summary above by 993 Targa, even if you did not use the qualifying credit card for the rental car costs, you may still have credit card travel insurance including the rental car excess buyout provided you purchased some other travel associated item or service using that credit card above a specified $ limit. It must be for travel expenses associated with the travel. Just my two cents worth.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:12 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikee6421
I'm keen but happy to sit at the end of the queue if any other RSG folk wish to go.

BTW Macca, in addition to the excellent summary above by 993 Targa, even if you did not use the qualifying credit card for the rental car costs, you may still have credit card travel insurance including the rental car excess buyout provided you purchased some other travel associated item or service using that credit card above a specified $ limit. It must be for travel expenses associated with the travel. Just my two cents worth.
Yes, each bank has a different policy for activation and for coverage (used to work in credit card travel insurance also ). If it is an NZ credit card they will not define you returning to NZ as travel (not sure what your standard living situation is and if you are using an international credit card or NZ) however hiring a car in NZ would satisfying the requirement as domestic travel usually.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:13 PM
O2GO
Drifting

I'm enrolling in the one day mini-Targa tour on Sunday 2nd March. Great opportunity to taste the Targa Tour. I'm looking for [need] a co-driver if anyone would like to join me. Over on the targa thread here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...nd-2014-a.html
Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I'm enrolling in the one day mini-Targa tour on Sunday 2nd March. Great opportunity to taste the Targa Tour. I'm looking for [need] a co-driver if anyone would like to join me. Over on the targa thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...nd-2014-a.html
Paul and I have the required license but I'm a terrible passenger (I'd leave dents in the footwell panels). Maybe approach Paul?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:41 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

My daughter and I are keen to come out Sunday if there are 2 tickets free? Let me know and I'll pop round to grab them this evening?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Paul and I have the required license but I'm a terrible passenger (I'd leave dents in the footwell panels). Maybe approach Paul?
There are no license restrictions for passengers so you should be able to take whoever you want.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Hi Macca, as both an ex-rental car company and insurance company employee I can provide a little bit of info.

First off most rental car companies will charge the full excess in the event of any damage and later refund anything over what it cost to do the actual repair. It's not a particular customer friendly way to operate but it is standard business practice. So you should check if the company has gotten a quote and or the work done yet because they may not be intending on charging you that full excess.

Secondly the insurance ombudsman won't be of any assistance in this instance as this is not actually an insurance related issue, it is one between yourself and the rental car company based around the contract you signed when hiring.

The rental car contract would have most likely stated that it is your obligation to check that any pre-existing damage is identified before you take the car, however as noted by others you have reasonable claim to the fact it is unreasonable to expect you to inspect the underside of the vehicle, particularly based on the fact their forms do not have a section for the underneath and you cannot easily inspect that area.

As also mentioned it is relatively easy for a decent panel beater to determine the age of damage to the time frame of a few months based on rust buildup etc (they do this often for insurance claims), however if the damage was done within the same month as your hire it will be very difficult to rule out yourself doing it.

Many NZ credit cards at a Gold or Platinum level have cover for rental car insurance excesses providing the hire was paid for using that card. If you did use a card that has cover your easiest path is to simply use that. Otherwise a well worded email to the NZ head office of this rental car company should convince them that it isn't worth their time taking the money off you since you will fight them and the actual cost to them for this repair will be very small (due to the large amount of business they put through panel beaters they can get it done for a lot cheaper than any one off quote you or I could get).

If the rental company don't back down and you are not covered by your credit card then a trip to the Citizen's Advice Bureaux is usually a good next step (or talking to your lawyer if you are on good terms and he/she won't charge you more than the repairs cost for 30 min) as the the likely path with be Disputes Tribunal.
Mate youve been more than helpful. The credit card angle was one I had not considered but we did pay for the rental on a Plat CC and its issued in NZ and we are not domicile in NZ so looking into that now. Also our travel insurance was still valid during that period, and it was a premium policy, it wont cover the full deduction they have made from our CC and the wording is deliberately obtuse so there is a 50/50 on that one as a form of additional compensation. Most of all I object to the fact we didnt do the damage in the first instance so still working down that route but the car rental company have not yet responded to a single email (other than automated response) so another call to Australia is on the cards this afternoon.

Do appreciate the input. I wouldn't have considered these angles otherwise. Have been renting cars for 10 years (includes Mexico last year trip etc) and never an issue till now....

Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
My daughter and I are keen to come out Sunday if there are 2 tickets free? Let me know and I'll pop round to grab them this evening?
I have one ticket free for this Sunday.

Chris B may have more.

Chris M is using all spares on Saturday so I get then back from him and you'd need to pick up sat night.

The following weekend we have plenty available.

Last edited by John McM; 01-16-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?