Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 04:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi John. Agree its fiddly and although there are possibly better solutions (smartycam etc) GorPro seem the standard for sensible money.

There is a recent software patch for wifi which reduces power consumption (free download on GoPro site). I did find this made an improvement in Europe (updated this shortly before I headed there).

The iPhone should be used momentarily just for sighting the lens on the GoPro I.e. setting it up) if you do not have the LCD bacpac. Helps you line everything up and get the right frame. Then exit the iPhone app and use the wireless remote for activation or if no wireless remote just manually turn on and off. This will save your iPhone batter which for most is more important than the gopro to get through a day while at the track.

For walk around still video I used a Sony RX100M2 now but before my Canon S110. These are just pocket cameras with good low light wide lenses (1.8F in the Sony and 2.0F in te Canon). Both have reasonable microphones (better than teh GoPro), and take 1080 footage. They are easier to hold and pan and the lenses can be zoomed easily to desired coverage before recording starts. I find these miles more successful than the GoPro for hand held footage and stills - the GoPro lens is fixed and based on very wide angle lens elements.

Your idea to hard-wire the GoPro is not a silly one. With a dedicated track car this would be the way to go for set and forget. If you are using the iPhone of anything in the car (TomTom, GoPro, Harrys) suggest a lighter charger. Rennline make a folding front tow hook for our cars and you can purchase an additional billet bracket which mounts the camera up front of the car as an option too if you need it but looks like you have that covered. The Suction mount is very effective (Il like the old one better than the new one they have just released which is not as robust looking).
Old 01-19-2014, 04:28 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Does anyone know of a 997 Gen 1 GT3 painted RS orange (comfort pack) floating around NZ? I'm working with a guy offshore who imported it from UK. It would be rare I think - A NON-RS painted RS colour.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Video footage of the last race Steve, Michael R and I were in at the Ferrari Festival yesterday. I'm still learning my GoPro and YouTube. I suspect mounting on a roll cage mount v's windscreen will give a better perspective of my car compared with others when up close in corners.

The good news, I finally got past the Ferrari and beat him on the line! I came third after the Lotus rocket ship and the Corvette.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Very happy with the GoPro picture on the big screens in native format and I've learned that native format is very important (try enlarging a 4mp image past A4!).

Like all things it takes practice and reading the manual.

BTW it must be a battery week. 996 TT was too weak to turnover this morning and C4 was my only option - except it seems to be telling me the alternator needs a rebuild. A work colleague pulled up in his lotus at the lights and asked why I was revving so high - I told him lightweight flywheel where it was actually to keep the battery alert light dim.

Looks like it is Z221 time on the Turbo at Puke. Maybe send it on with Steve to get it reflashed on the 28th to keep up with the arms race.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris. Really nice driving, smooth and consistent. Great work reeling the Gulf 911 in and finally getting your moment to overtake. The 911 looses time over the 944 braking earlier but lays the power down much more effectively from mid corner onwards so no mean feat finally finding the window to take him. Your gear shifts seem very quick (as your traces showed back in previous HD days and it doesn't appear you are heel/toeing down but you are rev matching well and its working so dont change the style!

What a great bit of entertainment over breakfast this morning, was almost as good as being there!

P.S. Yes John and also using GoPro studio for editing - its clunking and you can crash it but Ive only just started learning to edit so its great for now...
Old 01-19-2014, 05:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Chris. Really nice driving, smooth and consistent. Great work reeling the Gulf 911 in and finally getting your moment to overtake. The 911 looses time over the 944 braking earlier but lays the power down much more effectively from mid corner onwards so no mean feat finally finding the window to take him. Your gear shifts seem very quick (as your traces showed back in previous HD days and it doesn't appear you are heel/toeing down but you are rev matching well and its working so dont change the style! What a great bit of entertainment over breakfast this morning, was almost as good as being there! P.S. Yes John and also using GoPro studio for editing - its clunking and you can crash it but Ive only just started learning to edit so its great for now...
I can add exterior shots of that race in the area around turn 3 when I get home.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:26 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Video footage of the last race Steve, Michael R and I were in at the Ferrari Festival yesterday. I'm still learning my GoPro and YouTube. I suspect mounting on a roll cage mount v's windscreen will give a better perspective of my car compared with others when up close in corners. The good news, I finally got past the Ferrari and beat him on the line! I came third after the Lotus rocket ship and the Corvette. Video Link: http://youtu.be/Jujvv91BNt8
Awesome!!! Loved watching you duke it out with him in the corkscrew, glad you finally held him off!

The Corvette surprised me being a convertible, and, well, being a Corvette. The Lotus was simply unfair - for what it's worth he seemed to be less smooth through the turns - didn't have to be!

Did he yellow Ferrari continue on past Saturday? He was starting to spit a bit of blue smoke towards the end on Sat.

cs
Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Video footage of the last race Steve, Michael R and I were in at the Ferrari Festival yesterday. I'm still learning my GoPro and YouTube. I suspect mounting on a roll cage mount v's windscreen will give a better perspective of my car compared with others when up close in corners.

The good news, I finally got past the Ferrari and beat him on the line! I came third after the Lotus rocket ship and the Corvette.

That was brilliant. Steve laying down a couple of stripes at the start and your late braking overtaking. Excellent footage.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:20 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://youtu.be/Jujvv91BNt8
Well that was definitely worth 10 mins at lunchtime!! Enjoyed that a lot.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:34 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by peterC2S
+++ nice work mate.

Re: Rubber

I've gone ahead and ordered the Federals, figured the easiest way to end speculation was to try the damn things. They're basically the same price as Hankook and I've got them in the compound I want as well as hand grooved to handle water better. Won't be as good for track use but I can't have it all ways.

I guess we'll see what they go like on the race car on Feb 26th and then the sprint on March 2nd.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:06 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
Chris. Really nice driving, smooth and consistent. Great work reeling the Gulf 911 in and finally getting your moment to overtake. The 911 looses time over the 944 braking earlier but lays the power down much more effectively from mid corner onwards so no mean feat finally finding the window to take him. Your gear shifts seem very quick (as your traces showed back in previous HD days and it doesn't appear you are heel/toeing down but you are rev matching well and its working so dont change the style!

What a great bit of entertainment over breakfast this morning, was almost as good as being there!

P.S. Yes John and also using GoPro studio for editing - its clunking and you can crash it but Ive only just started learning to edit so its great for now...
Thanks Macca. Truth be known Steve being the gentleman he is he let me past as he knew he couldn't get past the Caterham, or whatever it was, in front of us and figured I might be able to so let me go to have a crack at it.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
I can add exterior shots of that race in the area around turn 3 when I get home.
That would be great, thanks John.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:09 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Awesome!!! Loved watching you duke it out with him in the corkscrew, glad you finally held him off!

The Corvette surprised me being a convertible, and, well, being a Corvette. The Lotus was simply unfair - for what it's worth he seemed to be less smooth through the turns - didn't have to be!

Did he yellow Ferrari continue on past Saturday? He was starting to spit a bit of blue smoke towards the end on Sat.

cs
No contest with the Lotus or Corvette, way too fast. The yellow Ferrari never raced on Sunday, not sure what happened there.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:11 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Maxem
That was brilliant. Steve laying down a couple of stripes at the start and your late braking overtaking. Excellent footage.
Those stripes of Steves were certainly impressive, a bit like that stationery wheel of his when I was beside him in the Barrel 51 corner!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by peterC2S
You know you want to do it Pete, come and join in the fun .

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?