Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 08:43 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Been reading a 964 backdate thread and came across this German company who now have a 964 backdate kit http://germancarscene.com/2013/04/15...-back-in-time/
I have many pics of that car. Beautiful. It might mean I have more DIY to do first, but I will have that car or something like it in the next few years. Actually looking at the kit description I've got a reasonable start. Maybe get what I need for $12,000 landed?
Attached Images   

Last edited by John McM; 12-25-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
The 5-light made me feel less likely to get rear ended by a Ford F350 or SUV. Odds are I'll just be out part day to spectate, too many variables piling up against me. Certification should be done week of the 6th unless repairs needed, sort Prestigio, household goods delivery and MIL 70th bday on the 11th. I wish I had a cage so I could take an experienced person with me first time out, but I may just need to make up a sticker as below. <--- PASS ME --->
No cage needed. Steve will likely go out with you in the first session to make sure all is right. My first run in the C4 had a best time to 1:30.8 while the GT3s were lapping in 1:16 odd. That differential had them on my butt after 4 or so laps. Now I can go pretty much clear with the right takeoff as the differential has halved.

Our rules are common sense and work. Keep your line and the passing car is responsible for doing it safely. Predictability is key. If you're like me you will make quick gains then stagnate without making changes to lines, gear selection etc. that's where the Gruppe come in. Take a road with Steve and you will accelerate your learning curve.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
The first boxer motor. Had a nice on-cam rush. A simple car that handled well. Also has an Alfa 33 work car. Not nearly as much character.

BTW: off to Pirongia on Friday to get my seat and harness bar fitted. Anything you want photographed etc for your project?
Just randoms of the gunmetal coloured car, orange underneath. That would be great. I got some crap phone shots last time but not up to scratch
Old 12-25-2013, 11:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Just randoms of the gunmetal coloured car, orange underneath. That would be great. I got some crap phone shots last time but not up to scratch
Will do, I will have plenty of time and it's easier on my wallet scratching your proverbial itch than mine in those hours. BTW where did your Sabelts come from?
Old 12-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Will do, I will have plenty of time and it's easier on my wallet scratching your proverbial itch than mine in those hours. BTW where did your Sabelts come from?
From Autoquip. They are in the same Penrose industrial complex as Chicane I think. Cain road?
Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Seat or harnesses? Might have misread. Seat was from Autoquip, Harness have been with me for a while.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:11 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have many pics of that car. Beautiful. It might mean I have more DIY to do first, but I will have that car or something like it in the next few years. Actually looking at the kit description I've got a reasonable start. Maybe get what I need for $12,000 landed?
Nice John. I like your colour scheme much more though. Ive now read the entire thread and several panel suppliers are mentioned. Sorry can seem to copy the thread address from within the iphone app. Anyone wanting to check it out search backdated under 964 forum area.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:46 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

John - bad boys is on tv2 tonight...........
Old 12-26-2013, 04:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
John - bad boys is on tv2 tonight...........
Thanks. Will check out the first few minutes ...t$$ty t$$ty, strutty strutty. But early night tonight as Pirongia tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. There are a few good ideas on Chris's list there. Heater bypass is an easy and cheap mod (make sure you do the wiring mod Chris mentions) and will save 3-4 kg at the engine end (always useful). The RS door cards are an obvious one too to tidy up the interior look, save some weight and bring it up to RS interior spec. Removing the rear seat backs and installing RS carpet may be something worth considering. One project Im considering (and have done all the applicable research for) is rear RS carpet in Classic Grey. Southbound in the UK have been working with me on this and its doable, and can be done in other interior carpet colours so thats also something to maybe consider (you could have it done in dark blue to match your interior).

Its going to be fun watching your car define itself further in 2014. The backdate is a big project - maybe 2015 or later when funds permit. Id imagine the labour (panel and paint component) to exceed the parts cost by at least 1.5x so obviously not a cheap project. All good stuff....
Old 12-26-2013, 05:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Proof we actually exist and were at The Hermitage for Xmas. AutoGespot is a well known blog for spotting cars and prototypes etc.

http://www.autogespot.nl/porsche-991...013/12/25#img3
Old 12-26-2013, 05:19 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. There are a few good ideas on Chris's list there. Heater bypass is an easy and cheap mod (make sure you do the wiring mod Chris mentions) and will save 3-4 kg at the engine end (always useful). The RS door cards are an obvious one too to tidy up the interior look, save some weight and bring it up to RS interior spec. Removing the rear seat backs and installing RS carpet may be something worth considering. One project Im considering (and have done all the applicable research for) is rear RS carpet in Classic Grey. Southbound in the UK have been working with me on this and its doable, and can be done in other interior carpet colours so thats also something to maybe consider (you could have it done in dark blue to match your interior). Its going to be fun watching your car define itself further in 2014. The backdate is a big project - maybe 2015 or later when funds permit. Id imagine the labour (panel and paint component) to exceed the parts cost by at least 1.5x so obviously not a cheap project. All good stuff....
All going well, RS door cards are sorted Already took out the seat backs. Also sent a section of
Carpet to lemans in Welly so they can supply a new piece to replace the driver sill area. Will do a full retrim at a later date. I've been trawling through the backdate thread again. Need to be careful I get the look I want. Would be best if I can use my Fuchs and ducktail. There's $7,000 saved. What I really want right now is a new windscreen. No, it won't be covered by insurance as I self insure right now.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Ive used Lemans. Only place youll get factory matching carpet now is Southbound in UK. I know form experience. They sent me samples a few weeks ago of their leather and carpet. They still have teh factory carpet and it was a perfect match. Ive tried 5 suppliers including Lemans for Classic grey match over the last 9 years and Southbound were the best (and most expensive)...just a heads up - see what they send you as sample and maybe also get in touch with Southbound...
Old 12-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here we are outside our Xmas day lunch restaurant! Proof we aren't snobs LOL! Yes that's the European McDonalds logo (and they look nothing like NZ/USA McDs inside either!). A "Royale with cheese" please. Actually it was a Big mac truth be known! Ive already added 5kg on this trip - why not!En Route between Monaco & St Tropez we stopped for gas and the Golden Arches greet us - many of these sit nesxt to mini malls on the autobahn/strada/route gas stations. Smart move actually as all the restaurants & shops in St Tropez were shut for Xmas day....

Here is a shot of our St Tropez digs. Its our second 5 star for the trip (everything else has been 4 star with one 3 star) and again testament to the great value for travelling off peak at this time of year. Our room in this boutique 6 bungalow "resort" is usually 820E a night - ours for 200E a night! A good place to hide out while the wind thats blown up from the front in the north passes us by (40kmph gusting 100kmph today, albiet it dry). Tomorrow the forcast show the wind dissipate and the sun come out which is good for our trip to Avignon although a shame there will be no afternoon windy road sorte for me today. Generally speaking we have achieved accommodation prices at between 25-40% of their peak rate tariff on this trip booking only 2-3 days out via internet (Trip Advisor, Booking.com and last minute.com) meaning a 4.5 star holiday for 2.5 star prices and another strong advocate to travel off peak. Our average room night has been well under 200E a night including a few spludges, whereas average rack rate in peak would have been around 400E+ pn +. I should think a mid Nov Euro trip for 4 weeks would be a good plan for the prudent traveller and as temps would be generally better than we have had (you might average daytime 16-20C during November - not far off what you get in a typical Nov in NZ). Something to think about for those considering a Euro holiday but wanting less tourists, more parking and far more pleasant digs for the $$$....
Attached Images   
Old 12-26-2013, 03:50 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Been reading a 964 backdate thread and came across this German company who now have a 964 backdate kit
DP Motorsport are a quality company with lots of heritage in Pcars. I have a lollipop bucket seat in shown the web link in my car.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?