Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:28 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa New Zealand 2014

Here's the summary from Targa:

Targas Turning Twenty!
Monday 27th October – Sunday 2nd November 2014.
It was announced at this events prize giving at the Taupo Motorsport Park that next years October event is going to be held in the South Island. For those of you who don’t know, it’s the 20th year anniversary for Targa. This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity, and will be the first and last time we take on the South Island as a celebration.
Labour Day, Monday the 27th of October will see Targa starting the event in Christchurch. This will consist of Scrutineering, Documentation, Drivers Briefing, Ceremonial start and Prologue day. We will finish the day at the Ruapuana Race Track. We then head to Timaru International Motor raceway as we follow the roads to Dunedin for Tuesday and Wednesday. Continuing on the Journey south as we spend Thursday in Invercargill and finish the day at the Teretonga Park, Race track. Next we will travel through Central South Island towards Queenstown finishing at the brand new Highlands Motorsport Park on Friday. The final day will be spent racing around New Zealand’s adventure playground finishing with Queenstown’s famous Coronek Peak Hill Climb, before returning to the podium celebrations in central Queenstown on Saturday night. On Sunday we will have a Prize giving award breakfast at Queenstown’s iconic skyline gondola restaurant. Overlooking the spectacular infamous views of Lake Wakatipu and the Remarkables.
This is a landmark event, new roads, new race tracks, new communities, come join us as we rally through the adventure capital of the world!

2014 Event Format:
The 20th year celebration isn’t the only exciting announcement for Targa 2014.
Awards Evening: Friday February 21st 2014
This will be Targa’s first ever Formal Awards Evening Function. Not only will we announce the winner of the Series Campione whilst celebrating in style, we will also have a formal dinner, guest speaker, and a charity Auction. This will take place in Auckland central and accommodation/travel packages will be available in the New Year.

Eco Light Sprint Rally: Sunday March 2nd 2014
This will be a one day Sprint Rally, consisting of 65k's of Special Stage, 8 stages, 120k's of Touring based from the Pukekohe Ecolight stadium in south Auckland. Pre Scuritneering is compulsory and documentation will be on the Saturday evening.

Targa North Island: Friday 15th - Sunday 17th of May 2014
We are turning the Targa Rotorua event into a North Island three day event. We will start the event in Auckland with Documenation and Scrutineering on Thursday evening, heading to Coromandles beautiful Whitianga for day one. From there we will go across to Rotourua for the second and last day. This is a change from the usual 2 day format and also a chance to explore some new roads before finishing up with some of the regular favourites. This event is a taste of Bambina mixed with Rotoura and bringing the dates foward to May means more chance of sunshine and longer daylight hours!
More details about these events are to come but please set the dates in your calendar now. Early Bird Rates for the three Targa events are available from next week to the 15th of December so get your entries in as soon as possible before pricing goes up to the standard option.
The website will be in development over the next few months as we plan for next year’s event entries system. Your log ins and profiles will be available in the new year so bear with us as we work through this. In the interim manual entry forms will be available on the website or call the office.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:31 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

I've entered the new car into Classic 2WD for the Sprint and the South Island event.

I'm happy to lead organisation of admin, service support, transportation of cars etc for anyone competing or touring on the South Island event.

The North Island event I can help with if someone else wants to lead.

The Sprint should be self explanatory but there's enough help on the forum here from previous competitors and tourers to help get you set up for this.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:36 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Good to catch-up Sean, the new car sounds awesome!

I've just put in the entry for Pete and I to do the 1 day sprint tour in the 996tt. After that we will assess the North and South Island tours and what to attack them with.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:08 PM
O2GO
Drifting

I'm enrolling in the one day Targa Tour on March 2nd and looking for a co-driver. Co-driver needs to have/get a M grade motorsport license which is a simple multi-choice test that Targa can help organise. Starts 9:30 and ends 12:30 for the Tour. Anyone interested? Will be a nice introduction
Old 01-16-2014, 08:58 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Hi Doug, the latest communication I got from Targa stated that there are no license restrictions for passengers, even in the competing cars. I get the sense that this is a bit of a promo event and they've got dispensation from MSNZ to relax the rules a bit.

I will double check with them and update this thread.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Hi Doug, the latest communication I got from Targa stated that there are no license restrictions for passengers, even in the competing cars. I get the sense that this is a bit of a promo event and they've got dispensation from MSNZ to relax the rules a bit. I will double check with them and update this thread.
I spoke with Peter Martin from TargaNZ this morning and yes you are correct for the sprints but oddly the rules for the tour version require both driver and navigator to have M grade MotorsportNZ licenses. I suspect it is related to the special dispensation granted allowing the tour to run the same roads twice in each direction.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:20 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Now that is weird.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:26 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I'm enrolling in the one day Targa Tour on March 2nd and looking for a co-driver. Co-driver needs to have/get a M grade motorsport license which is a simple multi-choice test that Targa can help organise. Starts 9:30 and ends 12:30 for the Tour. Anyone interested? Will be a nice introduction
Paul has volunteered to be my co-driver :-)
Old 01-17-2014, 06:10 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Sorted! Should be a good day out.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:34 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I've enrolled for the introductory one day Targa Tour on 2nd March. It's a great opportunity to get a taste of the tour before committing to take on a 3-5 day real tour.
In checking out my insurance with Prestigio I've uncovered a small hitch... While promoted as an event where we don't need the telemetry etc, Prestigio require it:

"Warranted - The telemetry must be in working order and be able to be down loaded in the event of an accident and inability to download the information will void the cover under the Prestigio policy"

I've emailed Peter at Targa for advice to see if there is a workaround, eg an app or some other method of reliably digitally recording speed etc that is acceptable to Prestigio.

From Prestigio:

Standard Targa Terms

Open road normal road terms and cover applies.

Excess minimum $10,000 with a maximum of 5% of the value of the vehicle in the event of an accident on a closed road
Maximum sum insured $300,000
Warranted - The telemetry must be in working order and be able to be down loaded in the event of an accident and inability to download the information will void the cover under the Prestigio policy
Warranted - No cover will be in place if you exceed maximum speed and safety rules set by Targa NZ
Warranted - Death Cover is deleted
Warranted - Driver must have completed Advanced Driver Training
Warranted - No cover for damage caused to other vehicles.
Warranted - No cover for Third Party Property damage unless not otherwise insured. Max $100k
Old 01-23-2014, 11:21 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

I've enrolled for the introductory one day Targa Tour on 2nd March. It's a great opportunity to get a taste of the tour before committing to take on a 3-5 day real tour.
In checking out my insurance with Prestigio I've uncovered a small hitch... While promoted as an event where we don't need the telemetry etc, Prestigio require it:

"Warranted - The telemetry must be in working order and be able to be down loaded in the event of an accident and inability to download the information will void the cover under the Prestigio policy"

I've emailed Peter at Targa for advice to see if there is a workaround, eg an app or some other method of reliably digitally recording speed etc that is acceptable to Prestigio.

From Prestigio:

Standard Targa Terms

Open road normal road terms and cover applies.

Excess minimum $10,000 with a maximum of 5% of the value of the vehicle in the event of an accident on a closed road
Maximum sum insured $300,000
Warranted - The telemetry must be in working order and be able to be down loaded in the event of an accident and inability to download the information will void the cover under the Prestigio policy
Warranted - No cover will be in place if you exceed maximum speed and safety rules set by Targa NZ
Warranted - Death Cover is deleted
Warranted - Driver must have completed Advanced Driver Training
Warranted - No cover for damage caused to other vehicles.
Warranted - No cover for Third Party Property damage unless not otherwise insured. Max $100k
Doug, did you get this sorted out? I have the same requirement.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:15 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also keen to know if this is crucial as I don't have any GPS based telemetry and am insured with them. I would have thought that since the Targa Tour is governed by a professional lead car, and runs in convoy this condition is superfluous. Can see the point for competitor runs.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:22 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by 996tnz
I'm also keen to know if this is crucial as I don't have any GPS based telemetry and am insured with them. I would have thought that since the Targa Tour is governed by a professional lead car, and runs in convoy this condition is superfluous. Can see the point for competitor runs.
I think the issue is that it wouldn't be hard to break the maximum speed and I guess that's what they are looking for.

As per Doug's post it looks like you can rent a Trackit device from Targa to cover this requirement.

I have also sent an e-mail to my insurance broker as he mentioned that there is a phone app that can be downloaded to cover this requirement. I will let everyone know what he comes back with.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:54 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I think the issue is that it wouldn't be hard to break the maximum speed and I guess that's what they are looking for. As per Doug's post it looks like you can rent a Trackit device from Targa to cover this requirement. I have also sent an e-mail to my insurance broker as he mentioned that there is a phone app that can be downloaded to cover this requirement. I will let everyone know what he comes back with.
An iPhone app would be great. If you were talking a total write off and quite a few tens of thousands of dollars in a claim, I think I'd prefer to have the official telemetry that their policy expects. Also it is official and therefore difficult to dispute. However, if Prestigio agree to an alternative iPhone app recording in advance, then that would be great.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:16 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

An iPhone app would be great. If you were talking a total write off and quite a few tens of thousands of dollars in a claim, I think I'd prefer to have the official telemetry that their policy expects. Also it is official and therefore difficult to dispute. However, if Prestigio agree to an alternative iPhone app recording in advance, then that would be great.
Despite previously suggesting a phone app, he now recommends the official Trackit device, the rationale being that if you go out of phone coverage and lose telemetry, and then have an accident, it could be an issue for the claim.

Makes sense so I will go with the Targa rented Trackit option.