Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014 | 07:51 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garry D
Hi Guys , just putting it out there , I am on the look out for a pre 1974 911 , I will consider any model or condition , thanks for any help .
Ha-ha hee-hee, you and everyone else..............

Talk to Steve Rasso if you want a project car based on a long hood. He has a couple that are shells and ready to go..........

If you want an original car, I may know of a RHD 1973 911E in SI, but you are looking at $120-140K.

I also know of a RHD 73 911E converted into an RSR with genuine flairs and a 993 3.6 engine, also circa $120K.

Otherwise there are project cars on TM for circa $40K.

All equations for a nice car are around $80-120K - there are dozens in Aussie that you could have landed for circa $120K and this may be your best bet...?

You need to be more specific on what you are after (project car, hot rod or all original, matching numbers)

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...14561972&Cr=17

This car looks good value with a engine rebuild and resto, the colour combo is beautiful. I has been converted from LHD to RHD, but at around $80K kiwi, is appropriately discounted, and you could reconvert to LHD in time for say $20K and increase the value of the car accordingly..........
Old 01-06-2014 | 08:01 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
So, what's the timeframe to getting your car complianced?
At this point hoping by the 16th. Shippers, MAF & Customs don't value transparency too much & the entry certifier shops are either week-lead time or not accepting new cars at the moment.

Fingers crossed!
Old 01-06-2014 | 08:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
At this point hoping by the 16th. Shippers, MAF & Customs don't value transparency too much & the entry certifier shops are either week-lead time or not accepting new cars at the moment. Fingers crossed!
Some of NZ is still on vacation. Yesterday, I went past a compliance place in Penrose - cars everywhere. It looked like cars has been building up over the break.

Good luck in the meantime.
Old 01-06-2014 | 08:33 PM
Garry D
Instructor

Thanks for your comments to date , I am looking for a driver quality car ,Dean is not likely to see any time soon from last time I talked with him . I don't see them at $120k , some thing will come up , until then I have my 3.8 RS to run about in .
Old 01-06-2014 | 09:09 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Hello all! My name is Stuart and you can probably all guess what kind of 911 I drive. We have recently welcomed to our family collection a 993 Targa previously owned by Bob who I see is a member here. As Bob mentioned my father has built up a small collection of classic cars and I finally managed to convince him that 993s count as classics already and we really need a 911 on the squad. It is the second youngest of the classics we have but it certainly has that classic car feel. We'll be keeping it stock and mainly trying to keep it somewhere near the condition Bob kept it in, although I don't know if we can keep the underside that clean!

Haven't had much seat time with it yet, out of town anyway, however it is quickly becoming one of my favourites. I can't even really describe why I like driving it but it just feels very right somehow. I imagine this is the air-cooled feeling many people talk about. Can't wait to get it out of town on some road trips soon, hopefully the weather will stay good for a while.

I see many of you are going on the South Island Track Tour, I got the email from Playday when that came out but sadly I will be on my honeymoon at that time so I missed out! Sounds like an amazing trip.
Old 01-06-2014 | 09:47 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garry D
Thanks for your comments to date , I am looking for a driver quality car ,Dean is not likely to see any time soon from last time I talked with him . I don't see them at $120k , some thing will come up , until then I have my 3.8 RS to run about in .
I share your view on values, unfortunately long hood owners think they are gold dust.............

If anything, I see good ones doubling in value and being $200K cars within the next 10 years.............

Can you post a pic of your RS (964 or 993??)
Old 01-06-2014 | 09:48 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Welcome Stuart. Wel done securing the 993 Targa and so glad to see that it is going to be driven and looked after. How about joining John, Chris and I for the Cape Reinga run in mid-March? Search this thread for "Reinga" to find the details a few pages back.
Old 01-06-2014 | 09:53 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Hello all! My name is Stuart and you can probably all guess what kind of 911 I drive. We have recently welcomed to our family collection a 993 Targa previously owned by Bob who I see is a member here. As Bob mentioned my father has built up a small collection of classic cars and I finally managed to convince him that 993s count as classics already and we really need a 911 on the squad. It is the second youngest of the classics we have but it certainly has that classic car feel. We'll be keeping it stock and mainly trying to keep it somewhere near the condition Bob kept it in, although I don't know if we can keep the underside that clean!

Haven't had much seat time with it yet, out of town anyway, however it is quickly becoming one of my favourites. I can't even really describe why I like driving it but it just feels very right somehow. I imagine this is the air-cooled feeling many people talk about. Can't wait to get it out of town on some road trips soon, hopefully the weather will stay good for a while.

I see many of you are going on the South Island Track Tour, I got the email from Playday when that came out but sadly I will be on my honeymoon at that time so I missed out! Sounds like an amazing trip.

Welcome along Stuart, always good to get new members.

I have driven your 993 in the past and can attest it is a far better than average example. And I am not just talking condition, your car is much faster than a typical 993 example. The throttle response and acceleration is not typical of the examples I have driven to date. Bob and I are not sure why, but it would be nice to know (so I can replicate......)
Old 01-06-2014 | 09:54 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by nzskater
Over the week between the 26th/2nd I visited a few interesting roads, and they were relatively empty apart from the stint on SH1 on the way home. Really surprised at the lack of traffic around the Firth of Thames and down to Tauranga, and then between Rotorua/Napier/Wellington. The Rimutaka hill between Featherston and Upper Hutt was an experience, empty apart from a dense fog and a hero in a van determined to try push on in front of me. Car is now parked up and will be until the end of Feb due to me being in the USA for what is looking to be a rather cold snowboarding trip given the weather. Slightly concerned about flying into Denver in 3 days.
Nice stuff, you certainly covered a few miles. In early December I discovered the b-road between just before Pauanui through to Waihi which is very nice, for future reference.
Old 01-06-2014 | 10:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Chris and I have just finished rummaging through piles of second hand race tyres. Chris picked up two sets of Bridgestone RE11S, and I got a set of Z221s. All wheels are 18". Cost per set is less than one new tyre. They also have GT3 bumpers etc. The guys are happy to have others rummage through the piles.
Attached Images       

Last edited by John McM; 01-06-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2014 | 10:38 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

So this is the last look I get for 6 weeks while it hopefully makes its journey across the sea. Chris M has me worried now about the hold ups at this end... just got to be done in time for the SITT!!
Attached Images   
Old 01-06-2014 | 10:56 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
So this is the last look I get for 6 weeks while it hopefully makes its journey across the sea. Chris M has me worried now about the hold ups at this end... just got to be done in time for the SITT!!
So much to look forward to. Is there a Plan B for you Pete? Is the race car road registered? I can lend you a set of ear muffs. :-P
Old 01-06-2014 | 10:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Very very nice. Looks like a Playday car to me....
Old 01-06-2014 | 11:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Sounds like cheap rubber alright. Whats wrong with the tyres? heat cycled out or just age hardened? Why do people take off tyres that are only 40% worn?

Are you putting Z221 on the turbo?
Old 01-06-2014 | 11:43 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Sounds like cheap rubber alright. Whats wrong with the tyres? heat cycled out or just age hardened? Why do people take off tyres that are only 40% worn? Are you putting Z221 on the turbo?
Yes, Z221 going on a set of ugly rims I bought.

Tyres are there for various reasons. There's a set of never used Yokohamas, which he told us were $150 each. Chris bought hard RE11s which the racers didn't like, because they were a second off their previous times. One set is new and the other is one meet used. My Z221s are C70 compound and feel fine, certainly sticky. Ultimately you know it's never going to be like new, but I now have a set of rims and Z221s for $1,200. In fact Shaun asked if I was after rims, pads etc. Once used, they are if little value to the racers.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?