Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 05:11 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Big day on the beach. Too much sun and worse still, food. Racing seat will have to go on the grounds that I will no longer fit. Upon my return from all this lovelyness here at Mt Maunganui (my childhood home was right next to the oceanside hotel and am currently occupying a room which is in about the same location as my bedroom was in the 70's, albeit now part of a highrise) my 964 will be slowly transitioned back towards more of a standard car, a process I will enjoy as much as the build up. I will get to enjoy the car as I haven't before, one that is easy to get in and use on a daily basis yet still come to the track and fang it. No hurry with any potential sale but It is for sale like everything is. Two 911's seemed impossibly excessive to me a year ago but in present company, it appears to be quite normal! Who knows?
One thing is for sure, holiday boredom gets the mind churning on the ideal longhood spec.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:16 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Big day on the beach. Too much sun and worse still, food. Racing seat will have to go on the grounds that I will no longer fit. Upon my return from all this lovelyness here at Mt Maunganui (my childhood home was right next to the oceanside hotel and am currently occupying a room which is in about the same location as my bedroom was in the 70's, albeit now part of a highrise) my 964 will be slowly transitioned back towards more of a standard car, a process I will enjoy as much as the build up. I will get to enjoy the car as I haven't before, one that is easy to get in and use on a daily basis yet still come to the track and fang it. No hurry with any potential sale but It is for sale like everything is. Two 911's seemed impossibly excessive to me a year ago but in present company, it appears to be quite normal! Who knows? One thing is for sure, holiday boredom gets the mind churning on the ideal longhood spec.
You still wouldn't backdate your 964 Dave? Isn't it the ideal already sorted platform? That's what Singer et al base their hot rods on. Or are you after something more pure?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:22 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
You still wouldn't backdate your 964 Dave? Isn't it the ideal already sorted platform? That's what Singer et al base their hot rods on. Or are you after something more pure?
What I want is the raw early 911 experience with a bit of extra spice. Plus, securing a longhood body must be a good thing long term.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John. You are right that the suspension isnt the weakest link. The prime issue right now is confidence to push on into turn 1 and also pick up a good line in T10 from what you are saying so far. The seats and harness will help make things feel a bit more secure. The other area that gives you confidence is suspension. This was the really big improvement for me. Once I had the PSS10 and correct geo in place I could really feel where the edge of traction was and how well the front tyres were biting. In the 911 going fast on the back roads is all about understanding what those front wheels are going IMO and how they are keying into the surface when you turn in. The rear is all about oversteer. What you need to be telepathed from the rear is less detailed form the front, what you need to know from the rear is when its going to go and what you need to understand from experience is how to catch it when it does and how much progression you have (slip degrees etc). Lastly stability under brakes is really important IMO. An LSD helps here but also suspension plays a very critical roll. All of that said if Steve reckons your suspension set up is ok for the level you are at now I would listen to him. Steve moves too slow for me (Im like an impatient Jedi Knight in training LOL!) but if you have the time and dont mind taking it at a different pace like you do I think following his sage advice is a good idea. Maybe next get a few more cheap KGs out of the car and wait it out for later in the year when you are consistently putting in the times you want.
Right now I'm 3.184 seconds off Steve's time in my car. From braking at turn 1 until braking at turn 2 I lost 1.396 seconds. I lost a further 0.596 seconds to the Vmin point n turn 9, and 1.192 in the section through turn 10 and up the main straight. I'm getting very confident in turns 2 through to 9 so not much to gain there. Just need to nail the others. Now I have a passenger seat I can take an instructor. Watch this space!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ok, that's a relief as it was quite a stretch. "Cape Reinga to Slope Point" doesn't really have the same ring as "Cape Reinga to Bluff"... But I will probably slink off at the end of the day to get my pic with the car at Slope Point. I've just realised that I've already ticked off Manapouri last year as we'll, So, we will do the Cape Reinga run then join the group for Ron's North Island run. Now, for my next deviation to float past the group....my.South Island three crossings plan. I'll post it on the SITT RSG forum where this debate should occur :-)
Yes, Cape Reinga to Bluff. Joining Ron's group at Auckland.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Right now I'm 3.184 minutes off Steve's time in my car. From braking at turn 1 until braking at turn 2 I lost 1.396 seconds. I lost a further 0.596 seconds to the Vmin point n turn 9, and 1.192 in the section through turn 10 and up the main straight. I'm getting very confident in turns 2 through to 9 so not much to gain there. Just need to nail the others. Now I have a passenger seat I can take an instructor. Watch this space!
Exciting to work on these parts so scientifically John.

I just "give it all I can with no real science yet". Having followed you a lot I have noticed that I think you brake too early and too much going into turn 1. I always gain on you when following by the time we come out of turn 1. I'm on full throttle mid way through the corner then drifting from touching the apex all the way out to the outside of the track on exit. The harder I push the acceleration the more the car bites and handles the speed through the corner. Racing Ray tought me that. IMO our cars are more capable that we think they are and so we hold back or slow down too much for corners.

Easier said than done though.

With all your data you are in the good position of working on it one section at a time. Then you will be beating my times and I will have to get into the science to improve further. My best runs are 1:20.5 at the moment and I suspect my car is capable of 1-2 seconds better yet without modifications. Would be interested in other's views.

My tyres are almost stuffed so will be interesting to compare with a new set I the coming weeks as I prepare for the SITT.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:46 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

E My best runs are 1:20.5 at the moment and I suspect my car is capable of 1-2 seconds better yet without modifications. Would be interested in other's views.
Talk to Nigel (996 GT3), I think he could peddle his Boxter S around in mid-18's??

I am not sure if his car is the same as yours??
Old 01-03-2014, 05:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Doug, Slope point is a 3hr return trip from Teretonga.....
Old 01-03-2014, 05:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Exciting to work on these parts so scientifically John. I just "give it all I can with no real science yet". Having followed you a lot I have noticed that I think you brake too early and too much going into turn 1. I always gain on you when following by the time we come out of turn 1. I'm on full throttle mid way through the corner then drifting from touching the apex all the way out to the outside of the track on exit. The harder I push the acceleration the more the car bites and handles the speed through the corner. Racing Ray tought me that. IMO our cars are more capable that we think they are and so we hold back or slow down too much for corners. Easier said than done though. With all your data you are in the good position of working on it one section at a time. Then you will be beating my times and I will have to get into the science to improve further. My best runs are 1:20.5 at the moment and I suspect my car is capable of 1-2 seconds better yet without modifications. Would be interested in other's views. My tyres are almost stuffed so will be interesting to compare with a new set I the coming weeks as I prepare for the SITT.
Yes, and I think I turn in too early. It's a pity you won't be there on the 11th to chase. All going well you'll need to find half a Dave to catch me...
Old 01-03-2014, 06:04 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Talk to Nigel (996 GT3), I think he could peddle his Boxter S around in mid-18's?? I am not sure if his car is the same as yours??
Thanks., good idea. He is a v quick driver too. His car was 986 3.2l, mine is 987 3.4l. He had customised his suspension but ran street tyres so probably about equal.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:06 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug, Slope point is a 3hr return trip from Teretonga.....
Yeah I know.... Was thinking of end of day loop back to queenstown via slope point :-(

Maybe it doesn't have to be done, I'll think about it, 2 hours from all 4 points of the compass being achieved.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:14 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking good John, I like the final number and placement
Macca You thought of investigating an engine from the cosworth boys - piggy backing r&d done by the well known 964 based 911 boys?

I have been trying to get out over the holidays in my car but with nearly every day raining I have only managed one drive over paekakariki hill so far.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. Not sure on Navy blue. you will have to google it. Its possibly midnight blue.

Doug and others. My understanding (and please correct me if Im wrong) is that Ron has created a small group of 3-4 cars and already booked his accommodation. he seemed a little resistant to 4-5 of us joining them (I know Ron well enough and I know he doesn't like big groups). I recall Ron was happy to share his route but suggested we run as a separate group (i.e. timing wise and perhaps accommodation). Just for point of clarity that is all. At this stage I believe he has sahred with you his accommodation points but not the exact route although I could be wrong as I haven't been on RSG board in depth for a long while.

A few days ago you were talking doing a new route to cover East Cape etc. I think at this stage we risk becoming quite fragmented. My thoughts are that yourself and John might want to consider a route based loosely around Rons with the Cape R and E Cape and Hass pass pieces added in and perhaps myself and Matt should siddle up to Ron to join his group? Just a thought but otherwise its not really a group tour.

Not sure how John, Matt and Chris feel. My wife isn't sitting in the car for 9 hours and my car is 20 years old so Im going to take the conservative approach at this stage and opt for the most sensible distance route down and conserve my resources for the race track.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Not sure on Navy blue. you will have to google it. Its possibly midnight blue. Doug and others. My understanding (and please correct me if Im wrong) is that Ron has created a small group of 3-4 cars and already booked his accommodation. he seemed a little resistant to 4-5 of us joining them (I know Ron well enough and I know he doesn't like big groups). I recall Ron was happy to share his route but suggested we run as a separate group (i.e. timing wise and perhaps accommodation). Just for point of clarity that is all. At this stage I believe he has sahred with you his accommodation points but not the exact route although I could be wrong as I haven't been on RSG board in depth for a long while. A few days ago you were talking doing a new route to cover East Cape etc. I think at this stage we risk becoming quite fragmented. My thoughts are that yourself and John might want to consider a route based loosely around Rons with the Cape R and E Cape and Hass pass pieces added in and perhaps myself and Matt should siddle up to Ron to join his group? Just a thought but otherwise its not really a group tour. Not sure how John, Matt and Chris feel. My wife isn't sitting in the car for 9 hours and my car is 20 years old so Im going to take the conservative approach at this stage and opt for the most sensible distance route down and conserve my resources for the race track.
I find big groups tiring. Just as happy, if not happier to run in a group of 2 or 3. We can be more flexible that way, and less obvious to the fuzz as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:08 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I find big groups tiring. Just as happy, if not happier to run in a group of 2 or 3. We can be more flexible that way, and less obvious to the fuzz as well.
Less obvious huh.... like with racing name/numbers and a primary bypasss

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?