Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:12 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
You guys should take that opportunity as it wont come around again.

Jo and I really need to know exactly where we are in the next two weeks accommodation and planning wise for his trip as we have plenty to plan ahead (air travel, rental cars, importing GT3 etc).

It may work out we just join Ron & Co down to be perfectly honest so dont hold back because of us. Rons pace isnt stupidly fast but the route is usually interesting and Im pretty sure hes included Gentle Annies 1 + 2 in this trip (very fast and flowing with brand new seal, wide roads, great run off - spectacular - we did them in the 2012 Targa). If **** comes to shove Im pretty sure I can talk to Ron about Matt, Jo/I joining them and you guys can just trail till we get to SI and then we tour that part together. Im relaxed either way but I want to lock and load it by mid Jan as Ill have plenty to deal with after then.

Unfortunately there's always hell to pay when you leave your properties & business for a month or two...
Macca - so far you and Jo are booked from Franz Joseph (1 night), Queenstown (5 nights), Hermitage (1 night) and Christchurch (2 nights) all per the file in Doug's dropbox. That pretty much covers the track part of the tour when all 8 of us are booked together. I think Chris was also booking Wellington or at least enquiring about it - but guess that is dependent on you all having booked the same crossing?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Wohoo! Today got me thinking John.... We are not far from being able to do all 4 points of the nz road compass on the trip. Cape Reinga, Gisborne, Jackson Bay (or West Southland) and Bluff. Gisborne is the only one a bit out of the way of our current plan but it is not too bad. If we swapped Ron's Alk to Havlock North for Alk-Gisborne-Havlock North we would have it nailed. The Opotoki to Gisbourne drive through a 50 k river valley is beautiful. Have you done it?

Are you keen to take a look at this idea?
Originally Posted by John McM
I'm keen to have a look at it. What difference does it make to logistics? I may have to hard wire the GoPro with a mic on the exhaust.
Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I'm looking into it from the point of view that we don't change any dates or accommodation, we just might need to get up earlier in the morning than the rest of the crew a couple of times to nail the extra miles. I don't know what route Ron has planned, but it will naturally consume a lot more miles than the standard boring state highway route. So we might just be able to do this without much additional mileage. Not that I care about doing more miles :-). Will explore it and report back.

I turn up the exhaust volume by ripping off the canvas :-P
The Western most [road] point seems to be Manapouri. It's only 25km further to hit this point during the Queenstown - Milford Sound day trip from Queenstown.

However, the Eastern most point in NZ is far more challenging. Gisborne is not far enough Eastwards... it's the East Cape Lighthouse. I went there last Easter when Jan and I and her sister and husband (Barbara and Bruce from Dunedin) toured Eastern North Island (Martonborough, Hawkes Bay, East Cape). You need to go out East Cape Road from Te Araroa which is 20km each way, 15k of which is easy metal road.

Auckland-East Cape-Havelock North direct is 12.5 hours 957km. I'd want to take a slightly more interesting route which would add 20%+ to this. See the attached maps and photos (of the direct route).

An option would be for us to split the trip at Gisborne instead of Havelock North. This would make it Auckland-East Cape - Gisborne (722k, 10 hours, doable), and then Gisborne - Wellington (538, 6.5 hours, doable). We'd meet up with the other NI tourers in Wellington.

The East Cape road is mostly newly resealed but, due to the nature of the soils, quite slumpy and therefore not the most comfortable. I didn't have any problems with it though, you just get shoved around in your seat a bit.

Another option is to do the Auckland-East Cape run a week or two prior? I can personally tick the East Cape off as having already been done in my previous p-car but would be up for it for this part of the trip if you were.

Let's sleep on it and we'll think about it further. Like Macca says, there probably won't be another relatively easy opportunity to do this in our lifetimes.
Attached Images        
Old 01-01-2014, 08:06 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Just to make sure I've got this right. We have Chris, Macca, Paul, Peter, Scott and myself on Sunday? I gather we won't have much demand for salad, just carnivore types?

11:30am until we're talked out. Chris has the address and the rest of you have been there before. See you all then.
See you then!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:09 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Macca - so far you and Jo are booked from Franz Joseph (1 night), Queenstown (5 nights), Hermitage (1 night) and Christchurch (2 nights) all per the file in Doug's dropbox. That pretty much covers the track part of the tour when all 8 of us are booked together. I think Chris was also booking Wellington or at least enquiring about it - but guess that is dependent on you all having booked the same crossing?
That would be the 8.30am Wellington-Picton ferry on the 18th of March. Due to me being slack and the fiasco with the currently broken ferry, I haven't booked yet but will do in the next few days. Bookings are now open again.

We haven't booked Havlock North yet. There's not many options there and I had wondered about making an Art Deco experience of it and booking at the famous Masonic Hotel on the Napier waterfront. It's a nice experience and reasonably priced. Secure parking is an additional $10/night in a lockup warehouse 200m down the street. http://www.masonic.co.nz/
Old 01-01-2014, 08:35 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug - forget the air-cooled itch. This has to be your next car - perfect for you. http://www.911virgin.com/porschefors...pyder(Manual)/
Old 01-01-2014, 09:39 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug - forget the air-cooled itch. This has to be your next car - perfect for you. http://www.911virgin.com/porschefors...pyder(Manual)/
I know. The light weight and therefore handling is gobsmacking. But the manual roof would be a right PITA in Auckland when it rains while the sun is shining. If only the roof was quick to put up. Would like to play with one in the flesh. Know anyone who has one? Ive only noticed one or two around Auckland. They look stunning too.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

No sorry - don't know anyone with one but have seen a few in Akl. Went to see it in Contis when it was new out. I'm pretty sure someone on here will know an owner and sure Contis would facilitate.

Looking at the spec on the one at 911v it would be the perfect tourer. Could do with bucket seats but that would be a small compromise for daily driving. Otherwise if the roof is the only issue... I'd say it is a very small compromise for what is one of the best driving Porsches ever - and very rare.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 PM
O2GO
Drifting

No sorry - don't know anyone with one but have seen a few in Akl. Went to see it in Contis when it was new out. I'm pretty sure someone on here will know an owner and sure Contis would facilitate. Looking at the spec on the one at 911v it would be the perfect tourer. Could do with bucket seats but that would be a small compromise for daily driving. Otherwise if the roof is the only issue... I'd say it is a very small compromise for what is one of the best driving Porsches ever - and very rare.
Thanks Pete. I agree with everything but havering already had a Boxster that I had to stop to put the roof up when it started raining I don't believe it suits our climate. 1:30 to put the roof up and just as long to take it off.... Actually it's not a roof it is a rain hat.

One layer, no seal (but a gap) between the top of the windows and the roof. You'd freeze your **** off in winter. I think it's the reason why in the UK they can have several owners before they hit 10,000 miles. It would work as a second fun car for Sunday drives and track days rather than a DD IMO. However, if I drove one I'd surely change my mind.

Here's the PITA bit
Old 01-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Pete. That all looks as expected.
I think for the North island part of the trip down we may look to travel with Rons group as Doug and John have some specific goals in mind. Im travelling with my wife and right now shes just completed 4200km with me so asking her to travel further than required is out of the question. I already have my booking for the Tuesday 18th (0825hrs) locked and loaded. Maybe we meet everyone at the Ferry Terminal? Im also conscious that if the GT3 doesnt get complied and registered on the Friday we may have t complete the process on the Monday and drive overnight to Wellington taking turns (worse case senario). If (most likely) the 991 GT3 isnt realy we will take the 993 with roof rack and pod. As superbly prepared as that car is I still dont wish to push my luck beyond the 5000km I have initially planned for....
Old 01-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug that Speedster is a great car! If you are worries about 1.30 for the hood the an vintage car will drive you made with its crap HiFi, its bulimic HIVACs, its rattles and its squeaks and manual controls (winding windows if back date etc). From all accounts those Ive read who have owned and tracked the speedster seems to think its a very sharp machine and those (some in GT3) being beaten by them on the track seem to agree! Its also probably the only "boxster" I see having a chance of appreciating in the medium future....
Old 01-01-2014, 11:31 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug that Speedster is a great car! If you are worries about 1.30 for the hood the an vintage car will drive you made with its crap HiFi, its bulimic HIVACs, its rattles and its squeaks and manual controls (winding windows if back date etc). From all accounts those Ive read who have owned and tracked the speedster seems to think its a very sharp machine and those (some in GT3) being beaten by them on the track seem to agree! Its also probably the only "boxster" I see having a chance of appreciating in the medium future....
Agreed. I'm waiting for the 981 to hit 2-3 years in the market and then that's my next Boxster. This vintage p-car hot rod is just an itch for Sundays drives and track days.

DD and touring I can't beat a Boxster S with a proper roof.

This speedster as had all the weight saving added back (air con, entertainment system with satnav, leather upgrade, etc. So the 45kg weight saving over the 981 Boxster S and only 5hp advantage and with the 981s weight saving use of aluminium etc the weight saving advantage will have largely vanished. And John following me back from the last HD track day when we had a sudden deluge on the motorway will attest to me getting wet despite slowing to 50k and raising the hoot on the fly in 29 seconds :-).

I couldn't live with the speedster's roof, especially in winter. And there's no hard top option. I've done some searching to see if there's a better aftermarket roof but there doesn't seem to be anything. I would probably be better off with a power and suspension upgrade on a boxster S.

Good point re-resale and rarity. But I still couldn't live with that pocket handkerchief of a roof. Check this video out.... The inter web is full of this criticism.

http://live.wsj.com/video/down-came-...6-577B61996254

At this rate of defense if I did buy one I'd be eating my hat. It is gorgeous. :-P
Old 01-02-2014, 12:57 AM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys
This 993 talk reminds me to let you know that my NZ new 6 speed 993 Targa has sold and gone to a private car collection in Auckland. Very sorry to see it go but 2 993's and 2 356's was becoming a bit to demanding in more ways than one………..with the weather like it is at this time of year it was the best of the coupe and cab rolled into one……and for some reason it seemed to to be exceedingly quick…..anyway time to give the C2S some loving now!!
Will need to change my avatar now I guess.
All the best for 2014 to you all.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 356Downunder
Hi Guys
This 993 talk reminds me to let you know that my NZ new 6 speed 993 Targa has sold and gone to a private car collection in Auckland. Very sorry to see it go but 2 993's and 2 356's was becoming a bit to demanding in more ways than one………..with the weather like it is at this time of year it was the best of the coupe and cab rolled into one……and for some reason it seemed to to be exceedingly quick…..anyway time to give the C2S some loving now!!
Yes - this car was unusually quick, the throttle response was very impressive and the acceleration was enough to push you back in the seat. It's a shame we couldn't figure out why this car was so quick??
Old 01-02-2014, 01:31 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you guys set up the footer notes??
Old 01-02-2014, 02:19 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 356Downunder
Hi Guys
Great news Bob - have you got that deck lid ready to go on or are you still looking for one?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?