Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 02:34 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul, I had three NZ based interested parties in the Turbo 3.6. A text conversation with one today (Hamilton based) confirms he is chasing a lead on another car so the local money is there for the right car.

Yeah - "would a, could a, should a, gone a" - just like the rest of us.............

You could have added Dave and I and made it 5 interested parties..........

(I mean no disrespect JMc) - more taking the p*ss out of kiwi buyers.

Maybe only 964's are the 'right' cars for NZ Pcar buyers at the moment (except the blue 3.3T on TM, .......and the LHD one)

Last edited by kiwi 911; 01-10-2015 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:47 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Just back from four days with Doug and Macca up North. I rode shotgun in the 991 GT3 and RS 60 for ~ 300km.

Based on that experience I can absolutely see the attraction of new metal. A Cayman R would round out my garage right now, however it wouldn't be at the expense of selling Herman.
So don't sell him.

Just treat the Cayman R as a 3 year propersition.

It's been for sale for yonks - if it is acutally for sale (i.e. the guy is motiviated to meet the market) you could get it for $80K and sell 3 years later for $60K with burger-all maintenance costs and no preventative maintenance needed.

You need to borrow Pete's car for a week - you will slide across to the dark side when it does everything so superior to a 25 year old Pcar. You can keep the 'Character' for Sundays - same as the 3.6T....?

Cheap 'Pcar' motoring and can be used as your daily being PDK.

You can't really pile the K's on Herman anymore for FEAR of affecting his value..........
Old 01-10-2015, 03:01 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Do it, do it, do it! We'll sort Donna out for you. If that R had been for sale when I was importing mine I would have bought it in a heartbeat. I can't believe Stuart is selling it or that it is still for sale.
Waiting on Macca and Jo to confirm, if they do then we'll look at a BBQ next Saturday for whoever turns up and you can work your magic.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yeah - "would a, could a, should a, gone a" - just like the rest of us............. You could have added Dave and I and made it 5 interested parties.......... (I mean no disrespect JMc) - more taking the p*ss out of kiwi buyers. Maybe only 964's are the 'right' cars for NZ Pcar buyers at the moment (except the blue 3.3T on TM, .......and the LHD one)
To be fair to them, I was very clear that no inspections or offers would be looked at while I had the UK offer. In the end they never got a look in as the purchase went through.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:15 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waiting on Macca and Jo to confirm, if they do then we'll look at a BBQ next Saturday for whoever turns up and you can work your magic.
Awesome - have recruited Kim to play good cop. Her comment just now "you can't have too many Porsches.." She's a keeper!
Old 01-10-2015, 03:18 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt38088
gee that price a bit more than we thought? Is Macca confirming estimate at 180?
If NZ retail for a Boxster S starts at about $160 (i think) wouldn't you expect a $30-40k premium for the GT4 version given Porsche marketing set pricing stratfy?

And isn't a GT3 $100k+ more than that? Excuse me if my pricing information is out. I haven't checked for a while apart from some marked pricing on cars parked in Conti's showroom.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:22 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Just back from four days with Doug and Macca up North. I rode shotgun in the 991 GT3 and RS 60 for ~ 300km. Based on that experience I can absolutely see the attraction of new metal. A Cayman R would round out my garage right now, however it wouldn't be at the expense of selling Herman.
+1 for a Cayman R provided you can handle the always on sports suspension when using it for touring John. For touring and DD Pete's Cayman would be a better configuration IMO. If you wanted to track it then go for the R but I suspect you have hcars for that job. Just my opinion of course.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ok Macca and Jo have confirmed 6:00pm next Saturday for a bbq at our place.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:45 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
If NZ retail for a Boxster S starts at about $160 (i think) wouldn't you expect a $30-40k premium for the GT4 version given Porsche marketing set pricing stratfy?

And isn't a GT3 $100k+ more than that? Excuse me if my pricing information is out. I haven't checked for a while apart from some marked pricing on cars parked in Conti's showroom.
just not much discount as we are talking euro delivery here
Old 01-10-2015, 03:51 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug - about time we had a comprehensive running report on the RS60. That is, if you can take your hand off the gear stick for a minute Be interested in knowing how it compares to the previous Boxster (and whether the Merc driver actually did you a favour in hindsight!)
Hmmm.. Where to begin.

The RS60 configuration is interesting. You could have spec'd it up from a standard Boxster S apart from a few aspects which Porsche cleverly included to make it exclusive to the 1960 cars they built.

My nz spect 2007 Boxster S as a base car was better spec'd than this UK import. This RS60 is the basic car purchased from Porsche with no added options (asp far as I can tell). So the base car is inferrior to the nz car (i'm talking UK basic stereo spec, manual control seats, manual control aircon and little things that you get to take for granted in nz new cars being quite up-spec as standard.

Performance wise they seem worlds apart. My old one was 2007 model 3.4l 295hp with 95k on the clock. The RS60 was the end of line for the 987.1 line but being 2008 actually seems to have a few tiny subtle improvements before adding the RS80 features. For example I swear the hood goes up and down faster and the ECU programming is a little different. It could be my imagination though.

So, about the performance....
19" lower profile tyres on light weight alloys seems grippier.mthe car is 10mm lower and has 5mm factory spacers all round to widen the track (actually it's purely for looks).
PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) is fantastic over the standard suspension and i would never go back. It would be worth every cent when spec'ing a new car.
Ditto for sports exhaust. Turned on, roof down, power on it sounds stunning.
For our fast runs I turn sports exhaust on, PASM on, drop the top to experience the volume and it is an entirely different car and gets through the twisties I swear much much faster. The exhaust sound is sublime, even if half Macca's GT3 volume which is insanely nice. It has +8hp more but sounds and feels like 30hp more due to the setup. For the first few runs I also turned PSM off (which I always did on the old car) but the last few days have been far closer to the limits, getting a bit loose a couple of times this morning and have left it on to help should I stuff up a corner. It hasn't cut in at all to reduce power, which it often would do on the old car. So The RS60 either has better road contact or the programming iso different when in sport mode.

The car doesn't have the sports chrono package which theoretically would make it even more engaging (programming).

I knew the roads very well vs Macca and was generally keeping up with him using this knowledge to my advantage (pushing hard over crests knowing where the road went etc) plus probably pushing at 90% of the car's ability vs say Macca pushing 60-70% for the GT3. Only that would explain how I could hang on - ha ha.

I do think the merc dude did do me a bit of a favour. However, not knowing you are missing anything is an advantage and the upgrade cost me $20k. I paid top dollar for the car but it is a goodie. However, the enjoyment factor has probably doubled and it has done 50k less mileage plus been driven kindly so I'm overall very happy. I love the deep red "natural leather" interior, red ragtop and the carrera grey colour scheme.

Having the car on holiday vs no car with these amazing roads on my back doorstep would have been hard so being able to secure it has made this summer pretty awesome.

Looking forward to parking up next to your 987.2 Cayman S Pete and looking at the differences :-P
Old 01-10-2015, 03:57 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Damn, unless the weather craps out badly I'll still be up north and miss this. :-(

Originally Posted by gt38088
just not much discount as we are talking euro delivery here
Oh, I see. I'm not familiar (yet) with Euro pricing.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:59 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

+ 4 (I'll bring the Millerette's)
Old 01-10-2015, 04:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Done.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:14 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

+2 (Our teenagers can stay home and fend for themselves) - you'll get there eventually Paul!
Old 01-10-2015, 04:21 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

+2 (Our teenagers can stay home and fend for themselves) - you'll get there eventually Paul!
I'm having too much fun with the little ones..........(they still think I am cool, and almost listen to me)

I miss having your car in the garage, It was nice opening the garage door and looking at your shiny red baron while having a cuppa......

In a moment of weakness I swung past Tradin Post and looked at the silver one for $44K. Luckily the car was a roughie, otherwise was tempted to ask the difference as a trade on my Audi........

JMc - do you have 'Frozen' on your SKY hard drive??

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?