Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 07:27 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding of the PlayDay rules for passengers in cars without roll cages is that they have to be a PlayDay recognized driving instructor. To date I believe they have acknowledged Ray and Yoda as being approved. Would probably need to be a discussion with Tony to get Simon agreed, he certainly is a very good driver that knows Taupo well so could add a lot of value.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have posted on the RSG board - 27 Jan (Anniversary Monday) as potential Pukekohe date. Please note your interest as we need a solid Group to confirm - at least 12 confirmed starters.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:50 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey boys look what just arrived: Matt G will know what that is!

Name:  IMG_0363 (Medium).JPG
Views: 93
Size:  111.4 KB
Old 09-02-2013, 08:01 PM
mjg
Pro

Perfect timing! Which ducts did you end up with, 997 GT3?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:18 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

yup! They're not actually very different, but only 25usd per pair!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:47 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RSG and others take care on those scenic routes to Taupo

A few police cars could be doing U-turns down that way - see below from yesterdays Herald:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11117954

In case that NZH link doesn't work, here's an extract:

"Police caught more than 300 speeding motorists in a weekend blitz targeting Auckland skiers using a back road to travel to and from Mt Ruapehu.

Three police districts were involved in Operation Southpark, in which five speed camera vans were parked along a 150km stretch from the Bombay Hills to Eight Mile Junction, south of Te Kuiti.

The area included State Highway 39, a 70km alternative to State Highway 1.

Nine patrol cars also roamed the region.

The blitz targeted motorists going to the mountain on Friday between 3pm and 9pm, and those returning between 2pm to 7pm yesterday.

The Herald was invited to observe the campaign at Ngahinapouri, south of Ngaruawahia, near a speed camera site. "

I know what it's like to be pulled up outside Pirongia...

I can view but not post on RSG for some reason - maybe someone can repost this there under the NITT thread or as a new one for others to note? Thanks - Walter

Last edited by 996tnz; 09-02-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: .
Old 09-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pete. You are right re the break up between groups at Taupo. More choosing tuition that fall into the slower group than the faster group at least technically speaking perhaps. Will work on the info you sent...
Old 09-02-2013, 10:52 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
I can view but not post on RSG for some reason - maybe someone can repost this there under the NITT thread or as a new one for others to note? Thanks - Walter
Hi Walter - have sent you pm about that.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Hey boys look what just arrived: Matt G will know what that is!

Attachment 758323
Chastity belt?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:44 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Maths isn't my strong point but if you're doing 1:30s and another car is doing 1:16s won't it be 6 laps before you get lapped? .
Further to John's email, if you are car number 12 leaving the pits and Matt or Chris are car number 1, they may have completed half a lap before you enter the track, and therefore be on you by around lap 3 or 4.

If everyone is focused on doing the fastest lap times they can, which it sounds like at the moment, then it makes sense to exit the pits fastest to slowest, at immediate intervals, to give the fast guys another lap or 2 before they catch the slower guys. Unfortunately the faster guys will be compromised on achieving their best lap times catching tale markers right when the tires and grip are best - there is no ideal solution, other than to potentially split our group and do a fast group and slower group like Playday used to do?

Personally I prefer traffic as you need to learn to overtake and be overtaken, but appreciate everyone is learning to go faster.............
Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 AM
mjg
Pro

If we can work out a passing protocol that works well, which I think we can, run orders will be less of an issue. It's possible to conduct passes such that both cars involved lose little to no time/composure and don't have to give up their lines, it just requires everyone to be operating with the same rules and expectations.

There's less of an issue with making passes with cars that are significantly slower/faster as the faster car is going to walk away at the first opportunity. Look at the way George pulls away from Sam after T9 in Sam's video; if that pass was made early on the straight after T9 instead of before the corner there would've been less disruption for both drivers.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

This is why the regularity trial is easier off the grid. I don't suppose we're allowed to do a grid start?
Old 09-03-2013, 02:55 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 996tnz
A few police cars could be doing U-turns down that way - see below from yesterdays Herald:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11117954

In case that NZH link doesn't work, here's an extract:

"Police caught more than 300 speeding motorists in a weekend blitz targeting Auckland skiers using a back road to travel to and from Mt Ruapehu.

Three police districts were involved in Operation Southpark, in which five speed camera vans were parked along a 150km stretch from the Bombay Hills to Eight Mile Junction, south of Te Kuiti.

The area included State Highway 39, a 70km alternative to State Highway 1.

Nine patrol cars also roamed the region.

The blitz targeted motorists going to the mountain on Friday between 3pm and 9pm, and those returning between 2pm to 7pm yesterday.

The Herald was invited to observe the campaign at Ngahinapouri, south of Ngaruawahia, near a speed camera site. "

I know what it's like to be pulled up outside Pirongia...

A Valentine 1 is my best buddy...
Old 09-03-2013, 02:58 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mjg
If we can work out a passing protocol that works well, which I think we can, run orders will be less of an issue. It's possible to conduct passes such that both cars involved lose little to no time/composure and don't have to give up their lines, it just requires everyone to be operating with the same rules and expectations.

There's less of an issue with making passes with cars that are significantly slower/faster as the faster car is going to walk away at the first opportunity. Look at the way George pulls away from Sam after T9 in Sam's video; if that pass was made early on the straight after T9 instead of before the corner there would've been less disruption for both drivers.
Actually that's a really good point. If we have a group of all fast drivers for instance, it's actually harder to do any passing (which is always inevitable no matter how well matched) and in fact I really like to follow other drivers at times (at whatever pace) to see where they do their lines. Passing is always easier in a mixed speed group.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:03 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
This is why the regularity trial is easier off the grid. I don't suppose we're allowed to do a grid start?
Hey that could be a lot of fun actually! We wouldn't be "racing" of course would we chaps??

There's been a lot of discussion regarding passing but I think within our RS group this really isn't an issue as (as far as I've seen) everyone is very gentile and cognisant of where other drivers are. A non-RSG member could be different I suppose.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?