Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well just saying hi there John and others. Another one with a 10 year stint overseas and returning home soon. I'm shopping for a Track Day/ Targa Car, and have been for 3 months. Hope to meet you guys soon. Jeez there's a lot of helpful Porsche guys in NZ and I've got a full schedule looking at cars when I'm back over xmas.

John, I'm in Singapore so if you're ever across for business I'm dead keen to meet for a beer and talk about 964 Turbos all night!

Cheers.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For you Nik. It needs a bit of work....
Attached Images   
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Well just saying hi there John and others. Another one with a 10 year stint overseas and returning home soon. I'm shopping for a Track Day/ Targa Car, and have been for 3 months. Hope to meet you guys soon. Jeez there's a lot of helpful Porsche guys in NZ and I've got a full schedule looking at cars when I'm back over xmas.

John, I'm in Singapore so if you're ever across for business I'm dead keen to meet for a beer and talk about 964 Turbos all night!

Cheers.
One of our Regional hubs is in Singapore, but it's rare I get to travel that way. Will keep it in mind though. Good luck with the hunt, there's plenty to choose from. Maybe pass it by Macca and co before you pull the trigger as there's a lot known about some of the cars down there. Btw another Turbo 3.6 owner chose a Cayman S as his daily driver - says it's great on the track.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:14 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Thanks John, was dead set on 964 C2 manual to get to RS replica spec and then RWB treatment but have just noticed what seem to be very nice 930 Turbos on the market so looking at both options. Got a busy month or two traveling around NZ looking at cars but it's better than not seeing anything for 3+months.

Looked at the UK import option given the nice exchange rate but sounds like the certification process is a pain on those cars. Even with all the V5 details no one seems to want to make a call on whether a 964 with mods will clear ok. On to 3rd and 4th opinions there.

Macca, I have sent you a pm.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:51 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
For you Nik. It needs a bit of work....
Any idea what happened to it Mark? If I recall the number plate ended up on a 997 Turbo.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No Idea mate. I assume it was parted given the condition, but there was a guy in Nelson buying these types of 993s from the auctions and fixing them up, so you never know it may be back on the road by now. If it were parted I suspect it may have been sent to Australia or elsewhere where demand and prices for used 993 parts fetch more $$$ and demand.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Thanks John, was dead set on 964 C2 manual to get to RS replica spec and then RWB treatment but have just noticed what seem to be very nice 930 Turbos on the market so looking at both options. Got a busy month or two traveling around NZ looking at cars but it's better than not seeing anything for 3+months.

Looked at the UK import option given the nice exchange rate but sounds like the certification process is a pain on those cars. Even with all the V5 details no one seems to want to make a call on whether a 964 with mods will clear ok. On to 3rd and 4th opinions there.

Macca, I have sent you a pm.
There was a good manual 964 on Trademe a month or so ago. Lots of nice mods and it went for $33,500. Not a great interior colour, but by the time I got over that and showed interest it was sold. Someone got a good buy.

I would not source from the UK unless it was a newish car, preferably British e.g. An Aston. I don't think there's enough juice left in the likes of 964s to compensate for the risks of rusted underbellies etc. The import process puts me off as well. Lots of work and risk. I would have thought 10 years offshore would have you looking at a higher price point good luck again with the search.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:56 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
I would have thought 10 years offshore would have you looking at a higher price point good luck again with the search.
Lol, yeah you might be right. Taxes are low in Singapore but when you want a 964 you want a 964. Will never buy water cooled, grew up old school, and want decent HP. IMHO, the 964 is Porsche at it's best, never mind the issues with new model etc, was the perfect balance between classic styling and modern tech and grunt. If a 3.6T came up every week it would be easy to make me happy but that isn't realistic!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The Turbo 3.6 population in NZ appears to have gone to ground. Did some checking on a few VINs in Car Jam and few seemed to be doing any mileage. Mind you I can't criticize as mine spends most of its time in storage. The bumpin pumpkin in Singapore would be your dream car. That said it seems to have been built with a no limit budget so it would not be cheap if sold and almost impossible to get into NZ. I think you just need to get some contacts in NZ and be ready to pounce when the right car comes up.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:16 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
I think you just need to get some contacts in NZ and be ready to pounce when the right car comes up.
That is where I have arrived, but so hard to do after two years of umming and ahhhing.

I have come out of the gates quick after watching the market for that amount of time and expect results (silly). Mind you, if something had really blown me away in the last 2 years then I would've been on it already.

At least I've got a very good Rennlist crew to keep me focused and on track!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:40 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed

Michael
Michael were you at Hampton Downs on the weekend? i had a few friends there and saw this amongst their pics
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/DSC04009.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/DSC04039.jpg
Old 12-13-2011, 05:33 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, that's me -- it was a public open day there on Thursday. I had a great day, although I did get quite sunburnt!

I nearly didn't go actually. I'd been thinking about it all week, but I didn't pre-register and on the Wednesday night I decided I definitely wasn't going to go. It's been such an expensive year and I didn't want to risk any damage, particularly with the Parade only a couple of months away.

My subconscious had other ideas though, as I woke up at 6:20am on the Thursday (this is *very* unusual for me, normally I don't get up until about 8). There was just enough time to get ready and get to HD by the 8:30am registration time, if I hurried. Suddenly, going to the track seemed a far better option than going to work! And my partner was away for the week, so she wouldn't find out So I decided "what the hell, life's short"!

I took it easy during the day, being nice to the little old 944 and keeping out of the way of the other drivers. It's a completely stock road car so it's not exactly set up for the track, but it's still a load of fun.

To top off the day, I unexpectedly got to meet my Kiwi motorsport hero. Partway through the morning Shane van Gisbergen turned up and did some laps with our group in a little Ford (and I mean little, like your grandmother would drive). I talked to him for a few minutes afterwards and congratulated him on his great season. Really nice guy.

A bit later, at the end of the next session during the cool-down lap, I was tootling along back to the pits when I saw a rather distinctive blue and white Ford rapidly approaching from behind. It's certainly not every day you're on the track and see a V8 Supercar in your rear-view mirror! (Needless to say, he passed me in a blur of fire and thunder.)

Weather was great, car came home clean. Good times!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Obsessed
Pro

PS I don't usually drive on the track with the sunroof open -- must have forgotten to close it for one session.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:20 PM
ab5150
Track Day

Must get to Hamptons 'twilight' session on the 13th Jan ?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:32 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Originally Posted by ab5150
Must get to Hamptons 'twilight' session on the 13th Jan ?
I haven't done any twilight sessions so I don't really know how they work. Are they run with an open pit lane? If it's only 2 hours I think the track time would need to be maximised to make it worthwhile.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?