Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Ash. If someone is lucky enough to but your very unique/original SC and you decide to go the 993 route let me know as I have a database made over 5-6 years of these cars and know which ones to stay clear of and can help in your hunt!

I can imagine owning the SC does have its downsides. There is alot of responsibility in owning such a mint low mileage specimen and sometimes that can take away from the sheer enjoyment of just getting into the car and going for a fang....Ive been down this road myself once before (see previous owned car list) and trepidation of devaluing such a car can create resentment of not actually getting enjoyment from driviing it. Such a car would suit someone wealthy enough to have it in a collection or carefree and fool hardy enough to simply get in it and pile up the miles...

If you want a car reliable enough to use every day and modern enough to suffice for a long weekend away touring the 993 is your ticket. Get an honest, NZ new, 6spd and lowish km (under 80k km) example - previousy cherished by an enthusiast and you will have the basis for something you can enjoy anytime the urge takes you and a great base to fettle and individualise. There are 3-4 quite cheap mnodifcations you can make to the 993 which enhance handling, performance and convienince (see my post "self gratification with pictures - 993 Outlaw" for some examples. I the need you will be finding excuses to drive this car to the corner shop or to work when your Daily Driver has a service....

Good luck with whatever comes next. I dont think youll have trouble finding it a home. If you decide on 993 let me know...

Cheers
M
Old 02-21-2011, 01:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Macca, your encyclopedic knowledge of NZ cars is scary.

Equally, your description of the garage queen dilemma is on the mark. Witness the two GT3s on Trademe. Would you take a Mk1 with 70,000 km for $100,000 or a 2003 Mk2 with just over 10,000km for $130,000? A near new condition GT3 for $130,000 is a relative bargain, but how many dollars will it depreciate if you take it on the track or a big tiki tour of NZ? It would be a rarified resale market at any rate. I think I would take the cheaper one and drive it like it was designed to do.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John, you are too kind. I think its because Im stuck on a rock in the pacific living my Porsche dreams through the classifieds!

Cheers
M
Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 AM
awebb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Macca,
I may just take you up on your offer in the future. Looks like you're the man to see when looking for a 993.
Yes, your comments regarding owning such an original time capsule is spot on, although to be perfectly honest, it's also extremely rewarding even though I don't drive it nearly as often as I should.
I'll definitely keep you posted on any developments with TM.
Cheers,
Ash
Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 AM
mbg
Intermediate

Hello Macca,

Many thanks for your prompt and detailed reply. Very good news, much appreciated.

Regards,
mbg
Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by nirich
Jinxed: Take it easy over there.......history in the making.

R ZWEI: Spotted your blue beast at the Concours. If i ever need replacement wheels, suspension or brakes i know where to go..............
Haha, I just had them painted a week before the Concours.
Dont think the wheels would be much use to you though, RS2 Cup 1's are only 7 inches wide, with a ET52.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:53 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

CHRISTCHURCH!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

hope you guys are alright down there
Old 02-23-2011, 03:07 PM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

NZ911 resides in Chch......................hope he and his family are ok.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:35 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Utter devastation. Our hearts go out to everyone there.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Ash. If someone is lucky enough to but your very unique/original SC and you decide to go the 993 route let me know as I have a database made over 5-6 years of these cars and know which ones to stay clear of and can help in your hunt!

I can imagine owning the SC does have its downsides. There is alot of responsibility in owning such a mint low mileage specimen and sometimes that can take away from the sheer enjoyment of just getting into the car and going for a fang....Ive been down this road myself once before (see previous owned car list) and trepidation of devaluing such a car can create resentment of not actually getting enjoyment from driviing it. Such a car would suit someone wealthy enough to have it in a collection or carefree and fool hardy enough to simply get in it and pile up the miles...

If you want a car reliable enough to use every day and modern enough to suffice for a long weekend away touring the 993 is your ticket. Get an honest, NZ new, 6spd and lowish km (under 80k km) example - previousy cherished by an enthusiast and you will have the basis for something you can enjoy anytime the urge takes you and a great base to fettle and individualise. There are 3-4 quite cheap mnodifcations you can make to the 993 which enhance handling, performance and convienince (see my post "self gratification with pictures - 993 Outlaw" for some examples. I the need you will be finding excuses to drive this car to the corner shop or to work when your Daily Driver has a service....

Good luck with whatever comes next. I dont think youll have trouble finding it a home. If you decide on 993 let me know...

Cheers
M
Yo Macca,
Please let us know why it needs to be NZ new? Surley there are some tidy imports for sale? The only car I have ever lost money on was a NZ new 993.....remember? Yet I have always broken even or made a bit on imports. Porsches only here by the way.
There are a lot of perfect examples around from all over the place. yes I know all about the seals etc etc that "can" suffer the fate, but not all cars are like that. My point is, just buy a car on it's merrits and PPI.
Just thought I'd mention that
Hi, my name is Graham, I own an import.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ahhhh. Graham by old mate..... :-)

Yes you are right there is nothing wrong with an import if its good one and has been well cherished. You like me (993RS + 996.1GT3 ) have made good on the odd import WE imported, but assuming its been bought locally that advantage has dissapeared with the importer. Afterall if they werent cheaper to import in the first instance there wouldnt be any in the country (save rare and collectors or race cars etc).

Ash has a fully documented from first bill of sale 38,000 mile original untouched 3.2. Possible one of a 100 or less in the world of similar impeccable provedence. To recommend him a 993 that wasnt with similar provedence or at best full history (almost certainly NZ new) would be foolish. Hes obviously a connoisseur. If he gets 50 large for the 3.2 a mere 20k-30k more puts him into one of the absolutely finest 993s in the country if he chooses. And why wouldnt he. A really tidy and original 993 6spd will hold its value fairly well from here on forward I suspect (they are still 25-30k GBP for a good one in the UK), even allowing him to enjoy putting a good few thousand km on it each year....

Just one mans thoughts of course....plus if Ash gets a 993 I can help him slide the slippery sloep LOL!

Commiseration for those in CHCH. I hope you are all safe and your families too...

Cheers
M
Old 02-24-2011, 03:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

10% of all sales of below items will be donated to CHCH Earthquake Relief charity of your choice (with receipt issued)PS. If there are any Kiwi Porsche fanatics looking for the following please let me know:

18” 996 GT3 Sport Design. OEM Porsche wheels (not aftermarket)

18x 7.5J ET55 Fronts with 65% Michelin PS2
18x 10.0J ET65 Rears with 45% Michelin PS2

All wheels mint no curbing no refurbishing. Tyres never punctured. Complete with new OEM coloured crest caps and crested valve stems

$2500 nzd

Porsche alloy pedal set. These are aftermarket and supplied if I recall correctly by Maxspeed out of the USA. Silver alloy with a full set of rubber nubs and mounting screws. A simple matter to install and look low key. $100. See pic 7 (not this set is without footrest which is not available for RHD sets).

Porsche K&N filter panel for factory airbox. Will last a lifetime with re oiling. This is the newer improved version. Free breathing. Only done 6000 km and in excellent condition. $50nzd

Bilstein HD shocks for 993 with extra front shock threads, extra locking collars and Porsche OEM M030 springs. These are an excellent upgrade for tired factory suspension and will allow you to go down to RS specs + 10mm. I think these run around 4000nzd new in NZ a set but Ill be happy with $2000 shipped to you. They will be removed from my vehicle in April 2011 for those wanting time to save up. They have seen no more than 6-7000km use and Ill guarantee they are perfect or you money back!

Brand new H&R sports lowering springs for 993. These retail between $600-700 but will be sold for $400nzd. They are brand new unused and will work with shock above perfectly for a more aggressive stance. Pic attached from internet – note mine are brand new unfitted.

Brand New Dual cone airfilter. I have gone this way for added induction sound. I love them. Saves space in engine bay too. I doubled my order by accident so have my brand new one cheap - ready to bolt up direct to MAF with all hardware needed. $140nzd

Steve Wiener Performance chip. Suitable for early 6spd 993. Let me have your ECU can ill tell you if it will work for you. Usually around $400 usd. Have mine for $250 kiwi.

Factory locking wheel nut set (4). Used but in excellent condition. $60nzd

I will happily accept payment by credit card for those interested wishing to spread the fiancial burden. All proceeds go to a good cause (i.e.labour for my April DC21-114 Cam upgrade and adjustable lifters etc) LOL!

Pictures of wheels attached with HDs before lowering further to currentsettings (see avatar). They sure are a sweet look on a 993....

Cheers
M
Attached Images    
Old 02-24-2011, 03:09 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Yes, Christchurch is tradgic. Hopefully the rescueguys will find some survivors.
What you say is right, as usual, but my car has a fully documented history from the minute is was spat off the assembly line in Germany.
I doubt that you have ever bought a car without a full history either. I haven't.
I still maintain a car should be bought on it's merits, NZ new or otherwise.
Price wise there's little in it these days.
So, if i had the choice of a NZ new 993 or an import, and they were both great cars, naturally I would take the NZ new one. At least then I could find where the previous owner lived if it had any problems, and go and spray round up on his front lawn!
993's rock no matter where they are from.
Cheers
Old 02-24-2011, 03:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Agreed on all points. I think finding an import that comes with records from first owner is always the tricky part....especially if its from Japan!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?