Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. From my discussion with some "mature" (read more sensible than us younger folk) the Targa Tour can be taken at your own pace within reason. If you know you will be slower then head to the back like I will (Ill start from there and move up as I identify bottle necks within my comfort zone). I think its a brilliant way to shake the cobwebs and get to know your car better if you can restrain yourself a bit. Im a bit like you (and Sean I suspect) and tend to push a bit hard as I build up a bit of confidence behind the wheel. This is something I have to restrain and nothing like your pride and joy at risk to moderate the pedal. Having said all that I do agree with you somewhat about 20+ year old sports cars that don't get regularly exercised being a bit of a liability out there for 6 days and 1000km hard driving on some rather uneven pavement so I would suggest you try one off the weekend events first. There is the Rotorua Targa and a number of smaller ones scattered all through the year. They all involve groups of like minded individuals driving within their limits (ok on the edge of their limits!) spaced apart, with valuable metal at risk.

John. You owe it to yourself. Its to easy to say next year....:-)
Old 02-17-2012, 09:45 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
(and Sean I suspect)
Correct!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:50 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, now you guys talking is getting me interested in Targa. If you're all Auckland based I'd be keen to get together for a beer to talk through what's involved and the best way to get into it and avoid repeating the mistakes of others. Any interest?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi NZ964C4

Unfortunately an Auckland meeting may be tricky to arrange right now with one of us based
in Singapore and the other in the Coral Sea!

What I have learnt from Sean and others who have run the Targa Tour is that the October Targa Tour is 3000 if booked by end of March. It goes up in price every two month after that. The 3000 doesn't cover food or accommodation. If we have enough people we could hire a bus and sleep on board LOL!

I understand your require a TrackIT GPS unit (mandatory) however a Trackit iPhone app is available which can be used instead. It is also advisable but not mandatory to have a Monit style rally computer to help in identifying distance based instructions. the GPS system is used for finding you down the ravine and you are also limited to 150 kmph on the tour so the device lets the organizers know if you are driving above their imposed threshold...

A Co-Pilot is mandatory. Both require a MSNZ clubsport license which can be purchased online for $65 each. The co pilot will need car sickness medication.

It seems there are few if any (that I have found) that will insure the car during the event.

It appears tires and brakes are mentioned again and again as areas to focus on prior to the. New brake fluid is advised for older cars. You will need a full inspection to ensure your car is fit for purpose. Its probably a good time to check the bushes, put a thicker sway bar on, have the timing done if it hasn't been done a while, fresh oil and filters etc.

At this time Im 70% committed for October 5 day event. I understand Sean is too. Personally I feel its probably too much too soon and would prefer to do a 2 day event like the Bambina or Rotorura event mid year as a "warm up" but cannot due to prior commitments.

Regardless of who I have talked to from regular Tourers to my mechanic, friends and poeople that have done it or crewed on a Targa - they all say is the most fantastic opportunity to drive you car sensibly and fast on interesting roads and with full support around you.

If its on your "bucket list" pony up and tick the box :-)
Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
OK, now you guys talking is getting me interested in Targa. If you're all Auckland based I'd be keen to get together for a beer to talk through what's involved and the best way to get into it and avoid repeating the mistakes of others. Any interest?
Oddly enough, I think we're all still based overseas for the moment but I'm back end of March and never turn down beers and talking cars...
Old 02-20-2012, 02:55 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
I understand Sean is too.
Yes indeed, I've entered.

PS- that's a good summary!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

mmm - beer.

fwiw, you spend little time at your accomodation - the tour heads out before the competitors so lots of early starts - breakfast is usually at a school after the first stage. Likewise, early to bed ready for the next big day so we saved a heap by staying at nice but cheap places. I can let you know the places we'd be staying from previous experience.

Motul RBF600 is an excellent high wet boiling point, affordable non-silicon brake fluid - use it in the race car and road car

Scopiderm patches are my recommendation for motion sickness for the co-driver - would use again over the renowned Paihia bombs and more readily available - just worn behind the ear and last about 3 days.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Sean. Thanks. GeorgeNZ also contributed to the knowledge pool and had some prior hands on knowledge which is great.

Scopiderm Patches. Info like that = priceless!

Ill either be booked by 29 March and going or not. Hopefully yes. Looks like we may have a really nice turn out of P cars this year. From looking back at headlines it seems accidents with tourers are rare but often newer high HP cars. Hopefully us in our ancient P cars will be wiser and a bit more conservative.....nah.

Cheers
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Macca, I don't need the violins out, but life for the last 3years has been 11 hour working days and it's very hard to extract myself for time off. When I do get it, guilt about other responsibilities like family time puts bucket list events well down the order. I will get there....

964C4, I have a new air vent in NZ ( bought it to install a boost guage but never did) although I think it is the right hand side. Are they actually different?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
awebb
Intermediate

For those interested in competing in either of the three Targa events this year then maybe I can help. I've followed (not competed unfortunately) every Targa for the last three years as I work for NZ Classic Car magazine and cover the events.
It sounds like a pretty good excuse to catch up for a beer and have a chat if anyone in Auckland's interested.
I probably should mention that I own a '97 993 Tip and thanks to Mark's (Macca) help and patience is now equipped with Bilstein HD's, M030 Sport Springs and 18" GT3 Wheels.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

awebb. Mate. Ill drop you a line. If you have any information that would be useful for me for the Targa NZ Tour in October I would appreciate it (drop me an email). If I am to do it I will not likely return to NZ next until a week before the event. Trust all is good with you and yours :-)

M
Old 02-21-2012, 09:16 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

John, Thanks but I think they are different in that you'd have to accept moving the knurled **** the wrong way for on/off or have the **** on the wrong side, assuming it will fit on the opposite side. They are listed in PET as different parts. Thanks tho.

Anyone know anything about the Turbo here...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=450525174

Jason
Old 02-26-2012, 04:55 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

John,

I sent you a PM. Hope that's OK.

Jason
Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Jason, I hope my reply helped.

Macca and Sean,

I mentioned the possibility of the Tour in 2013 to a good friend, his response was as follows, "I did it and repainted the 355 as well as undertrays. *Plus we were pedalling at 83% of eventual winner and as much as I like to go fast in hindsight not overly smart given the state of the roads and numerous hazards (one pace not read if you miss the bridge you will not survive!) Or you could drive at the back like a nana in which case might as well put the money to a circumnavigation of the south island. Much more enjoyable".

This friend is entering a 944 in the Bridgestone series so is no nana and I take his advice seriously. The Tour may not be a good idea if you value a pristine car.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Yes, thanks very much John. Going to look at Grant Domigan's car tomorrow for comparison. Getting close I think (to what I'm not sure...)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?