Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Nice brothel creepers, Mark
;-p just for you Phil bought a few more pairs while I was here!

Kennedy Space Centre tour today, Cape Canaveral. Been looking forward to this since a wee kid. Have an Apollo fascination to satiate!
Old 06-13-2016, 08:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Standard of living/quality of life here is considerably better than NZ based on the typical metrics. Have looked at property and prices Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach, Port Orange. 300k buys you a little holiday home on the beach 20 miles North of Daytona. In the well groomed gated communities 400-600k buys you a large 4 bedroom home with pool and four car garage, access to golf course etc on 1/4 to 1/2 acre. 600-800 buys you a very well specced solid masonry home in the air park on 1/4-1/2 acre with 4-5 bedrooms, 400m2 internal plus massive pool and 200m2 hanger. Body Corp is only $1500 pa - place is immaculately groomed to death, we'll build homes with granite benches tiled floors solid joinery, dogleg level and shingle or clay half pipe roofs. Make our NZ stick houses seem poor value buy comparison. Facilities excellent with lakes, parks, country club, shops on site and security.
When visiting people's large homes here with a plane in the hanger and 4-6 car plus 2 motorbike, one golf cart etc I got curious to how much it would cost to set up a similar pad here. Cars are cheap compared to home and planes even cheaper (you can buy a decent late model Little 4 seater like a Cess 210 or a Piper for $80-100k). Iv think 800k would set you up in a high quality house in arguably one of the most expensive estates in the area with all furnishings, a plane, golf cart, a few interesting cars and bikes and a couple of new cars for DD without problem. Fuel is less than half NZ, power is 15c per kw/hr, weather is lovely and warm year round, beach is 6 miles down the road, there are so many things to do within 10 miles including tracks and drag strips, roads are huge and flow freely, speed limits are generous and rarely policed, cool cars are plentiful and cheap, learning to fly costs half as much as NZ. For the average price of Auckland realty (which less face it buys you a sh*t box) you could live the life I've seen and documented here on this thread, house, planes toys etc. Whatever your pre conceptions are of USA and Florida you should have a look one day, we were pleasantly surprised,have met a lot of Europeans, Brits and others living here (only one native from Florida) it attracts people from all over the world (and USA) and many in the 40-55 age bracket (many with young families). Daytona Beach area has impressed beyond expectation.no personal income tax, no corporate tax...

I'd give living here a go in a heartbeat, my wife needs more convincing (she figures she'll never see me with planes, bikes, cars to play with!). It's also a long way from home/aging family etc.

I was just shocked at the poor return on investment we are now getting in NZ since house prices have doubled in some places in the last 3 years. The average house price in this state is $270k, many states it's under $300k. Cost of living is cheaper with health insurance being the only obvious exception, although annual land tax varies hugely between states. Average salaries here are 20% higher in the hand than NZ.

NZ I think was good value for lifestyle/income 10 years ago but the USA and parts of Europe (Spain, Italy, Portugal even France) are now shining again as better value options in many respects.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2016, 05:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Macca, looks like fun. Donna and I have the boys amped about Houston and the Smithsonian. Space is a common fascination. Keep the reports coming.

Re NZ v Others it's good having you out there sniffing out the best options. Having been in multiple NZ regional centres over the last month I'm fast coming to the conclusion that cheaper housing is the regions' only advantage over Auckland as every thing else is just as expensive. Of course that assumes that you can live in an area of Auckland that is comparable to the better regional housing options and offers a similar style of life plus a few kindred spirits to gas bag with.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:30 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Macca, loving the updates and seeing how the other half of the world lives. Fascinating!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2016, 06:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2016, 06:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2016, 06:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2016, 06:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John if your boys are space junkies like me (I'm an Apollo Geek) there is only one place to go....Kennedy Space Centre and Cape Canaveral Florida
Old 06-13-2016, 07:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

What I've seen of housing in Taupo (have been studying hard and will do recce in few weeks) suggests you get about twice the home and possibly three times the lifestyle for the money. Assumes you like outdoors stuff, nice roads and race tracks. Utilities all roughly same as AK but insurance is cheaper for vehicles. No traffic is a big advantage and easy parking. Plenty of P car nuts down that way - lots if good weekend fast runs etc. Climate is a disadvantage but AK climate only just scrapes in as acceptable IMO.

USA has done great options - we have been to Arizona, Cali, Utah and Colorado - all offer great lifestyles for far less than NZ but you have to try each one and see if you can live there. Easier without kids and aging parents.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
What I've seen of housing in Taupo (have been studying hard and will do recce in few weeks) suggests you get about twice the home and possibly three times the lifestyle for the money. Assumes you like outdoors stuff, nice roads and race tracks. Utilities all roughly same as AK but insurance is cheaper for vehicles. No traffic is a big advantage and easy parking. Plenty of P car nuts down that way - lots if good weekend fast runs etc. Climate is a disadvantage but AK climate only just scrapes in as acceptable IMO.

USA has done great options - we have been to Arizona, Cali, Utah and Colorado - all offer great lifestyles for far less than NZ but you have to try each one and see if you can live there. Easier without kids and aging parents.
No doubt you are putting a spread sheet together. Ex the house cost I'm interested in relative costs of living in Auckland and say Taupo. If you take out the costs imposed by working (parking, commuting petrol etc) then isn't it utilities, food, rates and entertainment? Not much room to save on those for us. The big elephant in the room is housing value. Once you get off the express elevator in Auckland for the regions you wont get back on and that could be a sizeable sum in the next 10-years i.e. there is no hurry to capitalise on the current bubble as the underlying demand will continue to push it up over the longer term, much more so than the Regions.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:07 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
Is that a photo of the set they used to fake the landings? Didn't think they let people see that.

It seems that Taupo prices are now strongly on the rise also though which can be an issue. If the bubble pops in Auckland the nearby towns and cities that followed it up will follow it down too, possibly harder. Although a 30% drop on something that was 50% of the cost is less of a hit.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?