Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 09:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Equivalent of Gary's "Hummer" and trailer...
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2016, 10:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

My two passenger steads for the first two sessions, GT3 with Crawford wing and 7.2 cup.

LeMans starts shortly - go team Hartley & Bamber...
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2016, 10:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2016, 08:08 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
Hey Guys, did you get anywhere with this light weight battery conversation? My OEM battery is on the way out in this cold weather being 5yrs old now.... Thinking a weight saving could be worth some effort here... Where did you end up? Anyone try the LiFePO4 or stick with dry cell HC20? Keen to hear experiences. Cheers Chris
I went for the HC20 again. I had received some advice from a distributor who warned against the Shorai - he'd had more warranty returns than not. Whilst the reserve in the Deltran and other LiFePO4 batteries is similar to the HC20, the advice I got was you cannot jump start these batteries. That combined with an already low reserve led me to think it was not really the way to go for a weekend away with the misses. Good chance I'll leave the lights on at some point. I think the voltphreaks option is best but quite expensive; it has the switch off function when its reserves get to a certain threshold leaving enough to start it. For now for me tho I'll stick with the HC20.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:16 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see there is a playday prestige group for Fri 16 Sep at Taupo. Anyone else interested in another Taupo push that weekend?
Old 06-18-2016, 10:32 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Equivalent of Gary's "Hummer" and trailer...
Flick us a link when you move your reportage over Macca. Very interesting all round. Looking at that guy's T-shirt (with the arrow on it) in your photo I can't help wondering if that's pronounced 'fail racing'...
Old 06-19-2016, 02:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Quick update on BB2

Right front CV clicking
Exhaust has a crack/leak somewhere
Front discs are binding - getting hot in a short space of time

Pads have 7mm
Tyres ok
No check engine lights
Only warning light is SRS because we took out air bag fuse

The car needs a GOOD mechanic to attend to the faults. I suspect the binding brakes are because the mechanic didn't install the brake booster correctly.

That's where we are at. Not bad but not good enough to run as is.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:08 AM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently own 1 Merc, 1 P.car & 1 Toymotor - think I've got the field covered between Le Mans & Baku...
Old 06-19-2016, 06:53 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
Quick update on BB2

Right front CV clicking
Exhaust has a crack/leak somewhere
Front discs are binding - getting hot in a short space of time

Pads have 7mm
Tyres ok
No check engine lights
Only warning light is SRS because we took out air bag fuse

The car needs a GOOD mechanic to attend to the faults. I suspect the binding brakes are because the mechanic didn't install the brake booster correctly.

That's where we are at. Not bad but not good enough to run as is.
The brake binding is probably the main one to sort, followed by the CV. I am surprised they are binding again - they were checked as turning freely after Quality Motors worked on her after Neil had problems with that in the first race and waived the second one back at the Waikato Challenge late last year. That was after the booster had just been replaced, somewhere out Kohi way...

I seem to be underwriting mechanics at the moment so let's see who others recommend.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:39 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by 964X33
I went for the HC20 again. I had received some advice from a distributor who warned against the Shorai - he'd had more warranty returns than not. Whilst the reserve in the Deltran and other LiFePO4 batteries is similar to the HC20, the advice I got was you cannot jump start these batteries. That combined with an already low reserve led me to think it was not really the way to go for a weekend away with the misses. Good chance I'll leave the lights on at some point. I think the voltphreaks option is best but quite expensive; it has the switch off function when its reserves get to a certain threshold leaving enough to start it. For now for me tho I'll stick with the HC20.
So your on to your 2nd HC20? I'd assume then that you've found it adequate from a cranking and AH reserve point of view?

I was talking with a battery guy the other day that said the HC20 may still not be great in the AH capacity and suggested the next one up which was the HC28 http://www.fullriver.com/products/admin/upfile/HC28.pdf but it's heavier again at 10kg.

What are the negatives of the HC20. I'm most worried about the AH reserve capacity, I'd guess a 964 doesn't have the same residual draw as newer cars but I also wouldn't want it running flat and unable to crank the engine should I leave a door open for a short period or the stereo running while I'm working on it etc... Your experiences to date would be appreciated.

Otherwise, what about running 2x LiFePO4 batteries, one as a starter reserve, Just like 4x4 vehicles do when running winches? Surely Walt you've got a theory on this setup. Yes it's more expensive but it's surely the ultimate lightweight setup? Probably 3kg all up, ith lots of AH reserve!
Old 06-19-2016, 08:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
The brake binding is probably the main one to sort, followed by the CV. I am surprised they are binding again - they were checked as turning freely after Quality Motors worked on her after Neil had problems with that in the first race and waived the second one back at the Waikato Challenge late last year. That was after the booster had just been replaced, somewhere out Kohi way... I seem to be underwriting mechanics at the moment so let's see who others recommend.
It's both front discs binding and hot after a short run. Rears were cool. If I recall correctly the problem with the Kohi garage was the lack of correct equipment! Whether Quality Motors had the correct gear I suppose we will never know. I hope the original is still in our box of spares. I'll refit it if it is. If it fixes the issues then quality motors is an oxymoron. I'll also see what we have for CV joints. I know we have spare drive shafts. The exhaust is difficult to pinpoint but we can't run it like this.

With Taupo next weekend I'm up against it to get this sorted quickly. To be honest I think these cars need either deep pockets to hire mechanics or amateur mechanics working in garages at night. I think we're going to have to make a call after the 800. Given I travel so much and don't get to races I'm thinking the maintenance model has to change if we keep these cars. These things I found in half an hour are existing faults that would have stopped another drivers race. It may well be that a car has to be rebaslined/checked at the drivers cost after each race.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:08 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

YAY - Porsche wins Le Mans again!!! Kudos to Toyota for the great fight too.

Last edited by 996tnz; 06-19-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:45 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Video posted on Facebook from Glyn Taylor from back in the day when the 993 was released! Look at all those 993's!

Old 06-20-2016, 08:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Video posted on Facebook from Glyn Taylor from back in the day when the 993 was released! Look at all those 993's! <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJuwTzzu19Y">YouTube Link</a>
Thanks Jamie. That's a really cool video! That exclusive C4S with 3.8 is a beauty. How I'd love that car today....
Old 06-20-2016, 09:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Well Sebring was interesting. I spoke to the organisers of Chin Motorsports and explained my involvement with RSG down under. Subsequently got involved in driver and instructor briefings and learnt a lot about how they create a viable event both economically and in terms of popularity. It was very well run. The following day was a Hooked in a Driving HPDE day which was more loosely run and full of a real variety of cars including Nascar and Funny Cars! Both days it rained around lunch time delaying proceedings till late afternoon. It seems the main reason most track drivers ver here won't go out in the rain is its mandatory to keep both windows down which means in the wet you get...well wet!! Sessions are 25 mins long. The time goes fast on a 3.7 mile track...

I was very lucky to have get some passenger time with Spencer Lane, an old boy with tonnes of pace, very consistent in his GT3, this has been his "home track" for 25 years. I really enjoyed driving with him. Also got out with Peter (Trakcar) of RL fame who made the special trip up from South Florida in his Barney a Purple 991 GT3RS. Had an awesome session with him carving everything up on the track. A master at work. Met a number of other RL 991 GT3 owners over the weekend, in total saw 6 X 991 GT3 on track, 1 X 991 GT3 RS (Peter), maybe 1 X 997.1 GT3, 1x997.2 GT3 and 1x997 GT2. The only GT4 was an instructor owned car that didn't do laps. It was a lot if fun, took home a tonne is small ideas and had a blast!
Attached Images              

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?