Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 02:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Is that a photo of the set they used to fake the landings? Didn't think they let people see that. It seems that Taupo prices are now strongly on the rise also though which can be an issue. If the bubble pops in Auckland the nearby towns and cities that followed it up will follow it down too, possibly harder. Although a 30% drop on something that was 50% of the cost is less of a hit.
Yes house prices in Taupo have nearly recovered to 2007 levels. 12% gain in the last year and 5-6 the year before but in both cases mostly in the sub 700k price band. Comparatively (Tauranga/Hamilton) the gains in Taupo have trailed behind.

Cost of living is pretty similar wherever you live in NZ. The tax is the same. Places like Florida have nil Income and corporate tax, NZ same tax everywhere....

The Provinces in NZ are a lifestyle choice. You can buy 1 acre with views in a good area for $250k and build a nice house which all up may owe you $1M, but will provide you with the space and utility a $2.5 place would in Auckland. This allows you to have the other $1.5M working to make you an income so you can drive 5 mins to the Bob Charles golf course, 12 mins to the fortnightly $125 Taupo open public day, bike ride in the forest, fly fish or water ski if it's summer. If going to a Mall or Movie is how you prefer your leisure time then Provinces probably less so. Better for less neighbours, more land, bigger garage, less traffic and more outdoor pursuits, not retail therapy. Having lived in a small community for a decade I'm reticent to move back to a big city anywhere on the globe regardless of property prices. I can afford to buy the lifestyle I want in Auckland but I'm lazy and prefer not working so hard and enjoying a more relaxed lifestyle so need my capital to work for me. Renting is also very cheap in provinces...

The other reason is an important one. Freeing up capital so it can work for you so you don't need to work. Many of us are not able to enjoy fat super...

Stuart. That is THE set moon landing was filmed on!! As you know the footage NASA used was not real because of the wrong shadows cast by the flags and astronauts :-)

Tonight we visited s new friend Heinz who has single handle circumnavigated the globe in his home built plane and had a few stories to tell. He just purchased this 650 bhp BMW M3 which had 300k spent on it by previous owner and is reputed to be one of the fastest M3 on the planet. It was on Jay Leno. I'll attach the articles on the build later. Interior full carbon with bucket seats and half cage. Truly awesome in the flesh. Couldn't be driven as flat tyre!!! Cool car....
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2016, 02:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2016, 02:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 345 Posts

$1m. That's outrageous. My grandparents old place in Invercargill. Leafy street. Rating value $360,000. Teretonga is close. Long Summer days. Clean air. No traffic jams. Weekends in Queenstown. What more could you ask for?
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2016, 03:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 345 Posts

Of course I'm yanking your chain Macca. Dave and I have had this conversation. He's renovating for life occupancy in Kohi and I'm trying to work out how I can do similar, maintain this 964 obsession and remain solvent without being tied to the man forever. I suspect dropping the cars would do more than dropping the house
Old 06-14-2016, 05:22 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
P.S. Standard of living/quality of life here is considerably better than NZ based on the typical metrics. Have looked at property and prices Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach, Port Orange. 300k buys you a little holiday home on the beach 20 miles North of Daytona. In the well groomed gated communities 400-600k buys you a large 4 bedroom home with pool and four car garage, access to golf course etc on 1/4 to 1/2 acre. 600-800 buys you a very well specced solid masonry home in the air park on 1/4-1/2 acre with 4-5 bedrooms, 400m2 internal plus massive pool and 200m2 hanger. Body Corp is only $1500 pa - place is immaculately groomed to death, we'll build homes with granite benches tiled floors solid joinery, dogleg level and shingle or clay half pipe roofs. Make our NZ stick houses seem poor value buy comparison. Facilities excellent with lakes, parks, country club, shops on site and security.
When visiting people's large homes here with a plane in the hanger and 4-6 car plus 2 motorbike, one golf cart etc I got curious to how much it would cost to set up a similar pad here. Cars are cheap compared to home and planes even cheaper (you can buy a decent late model Little 4 seater like a Cess 210 or a Piper for $80-100k). Iv think 800k would set you up in a high quality house in arguably one of the most expensive estates in the area with all furnishings, a plane, golf cart, a few interesting cars and bikes and a couple of new cars for DD without problem. Fuel is less than half NZ, power is 15c per kw/hr, weather is lovely and warm year round, beach is 6 miles down the road, there are so many things to do within 10 miles including tracks and drag strips, roads are huge and flow freely, speed limits are generous and rarely policed, cool cars are plentiful and cheap, learning to fly costs half as much as NZ. For the average price of Auckland realty (which less face it buys you a sh*t box) you could live the life I've seen and documented here on this thread, house, planes toys etc. Whatever your pre conceptions are of USA and Florida you should have a look one day, we were pleasantly surprised,have met a lot of Europeans, Brits and others living here (only one native from Florida) it attracts people from all over the world (and USA) and many in the 40-55 age bracket (many with young families). Daytona Beach area has impressed beyond expectation.no personal income tax, no corporate tax...

I'd give living here a go in a heartbeat, my wife needs more convincing (she figures she'll never see me with planes, bikes, cars to play with!). It's also a long way from home/aging family etc.

I was just shocked at the poor return on investment we are now getting in NZ since house prices have doubled in some places in the last 3 years. The average house price in this state is $270k, many states it's under $300k. Cost of living is cheaper with health insurance being the only obvious exception, although annual land tax varies hugely between states. Average salaries here are 20% higher in the hand than NZ.

NZ I think was good value for lifestyle/income 10 years ago but the USA and parts of Europe (Spain, Italy, Portugal even France) are now shining again as better value options in many respects.
Very Interesting.... Looks Like an awesome trip. Enjoying the photos!!
Old 06-14-2016, 06:00 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
$1m. That's outrageous. My grandparents old place in Invercargill. Leafy street. Rating value $360,000. Teretonga is close. Long Summer days. Clean air. No traffic jams. Weekends in Queenstown. What more could you ask for?
You forgot Tim Shadbolt... and freezing winters
Old 06-14-2016, 06:14 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting chatter. Jan and I have started thinking about what a future out of Auckland would look like. I'd prefer to go north where it's warmer with amazing coastal lifestyle that I love and some roads to die for. Jan would prefer somewhere like Tauranga. There's a lot about life in the city we'd miss though. Interesting to compare notes. Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Old 06-14-2016, 08:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

If any of you are truly nuts about cars you'll enjoy the story of "Blue Max", the BMW M3 that cost $300k plus NZ to build for a local collector here...

http://ind-distribution.com/blog/?p=128
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2016, 08:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2016, 08:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Very interesting chatter. Jan and I have started thinking about what a future out of Auckland would look like. I'd prefer to go north where it's warmer with amazing coastal lifestyle that I love and some roads to die for. Jan would prefer somewhere like Tauranga. There's a lot about life in the city we'd miss though. Interesting to compare notes. Thanks for sharing your thoughts
I love the North Doug. It has the roads, climate and well priced property. However it does not have a track, car community/mech support and the infrastructure for a business I need. Wife says retail therapy limited too although I buy online so doesn't bother me. But it's a good option and definitely contended strongly for its low traffic, beaches, roads and beauty. Like always there is no where perfect, but if I were retiring I think personally BoI /Russell/Pahia would be perfect IMO. Tauranga is becoming quite congested and a mini Auckland by comparison...I don't think I can do cities again though it's great to have family and friends in them to visit/stay with every month, when retail urges call or simply when you feel like it....
Old 06-14-2016, 10:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

A few pictures of the owner Nelson (who commissioned the BMW build) collection down here at Spruce Creek Fly In Park....

Wow!
Attached Images         
Old 06-14-2016, 06:31 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loving the pics and stories Macca. Inner circle stuff! Was that black Countach a 5000 Quattrovalvole?

Im very impressed with the Ford product lately and Im very much interested to drive a GT350R Mustang while Im here but the car is heavily back ordered and you dont see them on the road...

Today we were taken to the home of a pre imminent Porsche engine builder (worked for RUF and Porsche Motorsports under Albert Springer) by the friend we are staying with (whom also raced with Hans Stuck).
Yes, Aston paid for it in lost exclusivity but Ford is handily riding the wave from appropriating their design language when they owned them (on the visual front, most technology transfer would probably have been the other way). Probably just me, but it's a pity they didn't take some Aston cues for the rear lights of the current Mustang though. Every time I see the backside of one I can't help seeing a 1970s Mitsubishi Colt/Galant.

Albert Springer? Or Norbert Singer, Porsche's former head of Motorsports?

BTW Hampton have already rolled out their own Playday format for bikes, so I'd not be too surprised to see cars follow in due time (once GT signings abate).
Old 06-14-2016, 06:42 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Macca, loving the updates and seeing how the other half of the world lives. Fascinating!
Yes - thanks again for the background, the shots and your considered analysis!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:17 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the North Doug. It has the roads, climate and well priced property. However it does not have a track, car community/mech support and the infrastructure for a business I need. Wife says retail therapy limited too although I buy online so doesn't bother me. But it's a good option and definitely contended strongly for its low traffic, beaches, roads and beauty. Like always there is no where perfect, but if I were retiring I think personally BoI /Russell/Pahia would be perfect IMO. Tauranga is becoming quite congested and a mini Auckland by comparison...I don't think I can do cities again though it's great to have family and friends in them to visit/stay with every month, when retail urges call or simply when you feel like it....
For what its worth, I am about to start building at Marsden Cove.. boat at front door, 1.10hrs from Orewa, quicker soon when motorway and Brynderwen bypass finished, (essentially a commute time now) golf courses, 2deg warmer than Orewa on any given day, all up cost say $1.1m.
I will sell the Orewa pad, as we have bought an apartment 2 doors away as a lock and leave, which will satiate the family/grandkids requirements. North without actually leaving has much merit IMHO
Old 06-14-2016, 08:25 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Phil, I see the turbo might be moving too. What are your thoughts on Marsden Cove long term? Still big plans there?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?