Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 09:43 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pel.
I think Marsden cove is a killing field. All stage 1 sold and 70% built on now, stage 2 developing fast, and they have started on stage 3
They are putting in a Maygrove style retirement village
plus haul out and hard stand in the near future.
Was down in Pauanui in the weekend, canal housing there now $1.6>$1.8m the norm and selling in 2 weeks...
M Cove still at $1.3 for walk in, cheaper if you build.. It will be IMHO the go to spot for those who stop but never retire...
Old 06-14-2016, 09:47 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by Pel
Nice Phil, I see the turbo might be moving too. What are your thoughts on Marsden Cove long term? Still big plans there?
And yes, reluctantly decided to sell the Pcar. I am just not using it, and in all honesty, once I have had the buzz of what it can do on a track, it is frustrating to DD it. Better to get an old beater (if I can find one) that the dog can kill, and I can fang without exceeding the speed limit seconds after leaving the lights.. might even go back to Audi...
Old 06-14-2016, 10:15 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
- OK something new to add to the bucket list.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Today we had a quiet one.

I did get to drive "Blue Max" the famous award winning IND M3 back from dinner with friends. In the dry it spins wheels in 1/2/3/4! In the wet I had to keep it in no lower than 2 or 3rd. A lot of fun. The car is spiritual sister to my 993 with throaty exhaust (full Titanium header back Akropovic 12K exhaust option) and carbon interior with color coded half cage and CF bucket folding M3GTS recaro seats. That small 3 cluster of gauges by STACK are just exquisite like jewelry, back lit in white they change color to red when you hit re defined programmed maximum settings (oil/water temps etc).

The current owner is considering selling it. Would be 100K NZD landed. A hefty discount on the 300K++ it cost to produce. I've been looking for a Ford GT350 (plus Track pack) Mustang allocation to buy & ship back to New Zealand on this trip, but Im struggling to network a deal as these are all long sold out and allocations are trading 10K+ USD above list. Cars like this M3 are very tempting, if only they were easier to import and comply....

Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2016, 03:47 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Macca have you looked in to the GT350R?
Old 06-15-2016, 04:17 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That M3 looks very nice, a bit tempting. Does it still rev out well? How does the DCT box cope? What do you think would be tricky about getting it complied here?

I imagine GT350R's are even harder to get than normal 350s! Would you be looking to convert it to RHD or leave it as is? It is my understanding that the 350 models cannot be had RHD factory like the rest sadly.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This morning we took our hosts Larger Beachcraft Bonanza for a breakfast flight with a dozen other aircraft. Will be our last flight with these guys. Great lifestyle these folk have. North Florida is mostly empty with forests, quite unlike what we expected. Interesting how North Florida turned out quite different than we expected...
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2016, 10:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2016, 12:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes the R model is effectively unobtainable here. Even wealthy collectors have struggled to get an allocation and there are cars turning over 20-30K USD list.

I would leave as LHD. There will never be RHD production. Thought was to import, enjoy for a year period on track and road then sell.

Unfortunately NZ LHD import rules as I understand it, require the car to be owned by the importer for a certain length of time as I understand it but there must be a work around. For the M3 it is also an issue with the welded in half cage. If anyone knows more on this Im keen to know. This car could be landed, taxed in NZ for 100K NZD (it has 13,000km on the clock and is in showroom condition), but Im not sure if that is worthwhile even though its reputed to be possibly the best conversion of its kind in the world and comes with a documented history, some awards and a history file with almost 200K USD of invoices....

There is alot of interesting kit here and plenty that can be purchased if you have a ready market to move it on to....
Old 06-15-2016, 06:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
That M3 looks very nice, a bit tempting. Does it still rev out well? How does the DCT box cope? What do you think would be tricky about getting it complied here? I imagine GT350R's are even harder to get than normal 350s! Would you be looking to convert it to RHD or leave it as is? It is my understanding that the 350 models cannot be had RHD factory like the rest sadly.
The supercharger essential just multiplies the character of the existing V8. So yes it revs out fully. Crank and rods were replaced with unrated. German tech was flown in to do the tuning. The DCT was beefed up (clutch and internals). The car is very civilised to drive and the tuning is excellent - you'd think its factory. IND are apparently best in their field. Only comment is there is small amount of lag in the lower rpm but above 3000 the car is very responsive and just flies. It really is beautifully executed, as good or better than factory especially the paint. Brakes upgraded to 380 mm Brembo GT 2 piece all round, front callipers to 6 pot and rear to 4. If there is any real interest in the car PM me for specs. Without doubt it is an absolute weapon on road and track and huge fun...
Old 06-15-2016, 08:52 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the R model is effectively unobtainable here. Even wealthy collectors have struggled to get an allocation and there are cars turning over 20-30K USD list.

I would leave as LHD. There will never be RHD production. Thought was to import, enjoy for a year period on track and road then sell.

Unfortunately NZ LHD import rules as I understand it, require the car to be owned by the importer for a certain length of time as I understand it but there must be a work around. For the M3 it is also an issue with the welded in half cage. If anyone knows more on this Im keen to know. This car could be landed, taxed in NZ for 100K NZD (it has 13,000km on the clock and is in showroom condition), but Im not sure if that is worthwhile even though its reputed to be possibly the best conversion of its kind in the world and comes with a documented history, some awards and a history file with almost 200K USD of invoices....

There is alot of interesting kit here and plenty that can be purchased if you have a ready market to move it on to....
At least one 2012 Mustang GT350 has been issued a LHD permit before here in NZ:

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/reso...lhdvo-list.pdf

Not a guarantee they'd approve another but it does mean better odds. Tons of Mustangs on the Special Interest Vehicle List too, though not a GT350 and very few recent ones (a 2010 looks to be the most recent):

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/reso...s/siv-list.pdf

Also some older (eg 2003) M3s on that list, along with tons of P cars up to 996 Turbos. I was surprised to even find some (diesel) Audi Allroads on there and a Miata (MX5). Strange.

From the NZTA site too, yes, it looks like you need to hold 4 years before selling, but I suspect that only applies to resales that keep the car in NZ. Most of the BMW's mods would need LVV compliance too. Unless you're truly, madly, deeply in love, perhaps more risk/hassle than it's worth?

Actually, having driven a LHD vehicle on NZ roads, it wasn't really an experience I'd wish on anyone (though I still wouldn't say no to slipping behind the wheel of a LHD hypercar every now and again).
Old 06-15-2016, 09:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the data points Walter.

The Mustang I was trying to buy while here is the new MY2016 model which has had all the rave reviews. Its the first time they have it right as far as most are concerned. The GT350R is actually only 1.5s a 1 min lap off the pace of the 991 GT3 so we are led to believe. Its a serious looking car with full carbon wheels. Ford has some great products now for the $$$ (excluding the Ford GT which is expensive).

The M3 was a curiousity. The LHD doesnt scare me (I drive LHD in V) and have driven RHD in Europe a number of times and LHD in NZ a few times. You just have to remember to leave a longer gap between yourself and the car in front when overtaking and not to use parking buildings with a auto ticket dispensor....

The M3 is 2010. Tonnes have been imported from the UK buy in RHD. I agree it would be a heavy LVVC. The big issue is the cage. Last time I (almost) went through this was with the 993RS in yellow ex HK (Max ended up buying it) and the cage needs taking out unless MNZ approved (which it wont be even though its at least as good as their requirements). Unfortunately for this M3 its welded in so unless LVVC can sign off or it flukes being MNZ worthy hen theres further hassle and cost. Some a BMW nut an award winning car with 650 bhp may be worth the effort tho...
Old 06-16-2016, 04:03 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by 964X33
Im slowly working my way into the too hard basket for this LiFePO4 lightweight battery. Was chasing the leads on the Shorai battery and spoke to a motorbike guy at R&R Powersports who said they'd had as many warranty claims on them as batteries they'd sold. He strongly recommended agains them.
Thinking I'll stick with the Fullriver HC20 and let the tech get a little more established. Thoughts John/Walter?
Hey Guys, did you get anywhere with this light weight battery conversation? My OEM battery is on the way out in this cold weather being 5yrs old now.... Thinking a weight saving could be worth some effort here... Where did you end up? Anyone try the LiFePO4 or stick with dry cell HC20? Keen to hear experiences. Cheers Chris
Old 06-16-2016, 05:56 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by 964X33
Im slowly working my way into the too hard basket for this LiFePO4 lightweight battery. Was chasing the leads on the Shorai battery and spoke to a motorbike guy at R&R Powersports who said they'd had as many warranty claims on them as batteries they'd sold. He strongly recommended agains them.
Thinking I'll stick with the Fullriver HC20 and let the tech get a little more established. Thoughts John/Walter?
Today we had a quiet one.

I did get to drive "Blue Max" the famous award winning IND M3 back from dinner with friends. In the dry it spins wheels in 1/2/3/4! In the wet I had to keep it in no lower than 2 or 3rd. A lot of fun. The. N. ! car is spiritual sister to my 993 with throaty exhaust (full Titanium header back Akropovic 12K exhaust option) and carbon interior with color coded half cage and CF bucket folding M3GTS recaro seats. That small 3 cluster of gauges by STACK are just exquisite like jewelry, back lit in white they change color to red when you hit re defined programmed maximum settings (oil/water temps etc).

The current owner is considering selling it. Would be 100K NZD landed. A hefty discount on the 300K++ it cost to produce. I've been looking for a Ford GT350 (plus Track pack) Mustang allocation to buy & ship back to New Zealand on this trip, but Im struggling to network a deal as these are all long sold out and allocations are trading 10K+ USD above list. Cars like this M3 are very tempting, if only they were easier to import and comply....

iND: Blue Max E92 M3 Build - YouTube
Sounds like a fun trip Macca. When you next back here?
Old 06-16-2016, 06:25 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

The deal is that the importer must keep it for 4 years befor you can legally sell it and only 500 permits PA are issued (permits usually run out by June meaning you wait till the following year)
I'm on the fence with this right now in regards to my ZL1, will drive it on my dealer plate till Jan and decide what to do then.
The work around the 4 year thing is to sell and have the buyer as a joint owner till the term is up then transfer sole ownership.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?