Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:41 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting reading Macca. I'd love to do a euro road trip within the next few years and bring a car back. Unfortunately Jan's not at all keen touring Europe in a RHD car on LHD roads even though I know it will be fine.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
have you tried to insure out of NZ Macca?
No. I never thought of that. Have you heard of this working Graeme?

Issue of course is that you cannot get registration tax disc for new UK car unless you can provide insurance papers. Insurance (3rd party) is mandatory there by law. Dont think they will accept/recognize NZ insurer.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
Hmm lots to think about. I reckon that with currency like this the new price in UK for pcars will go up quite a lot with the next models. But given that there is still a large premium in the secondary market, if you can get one the price still won't exceed the current secondary market. So that's the big if? If you can get one then hedge the currency around these levels and be happy. But no use speculating on currency not knowing whether you can get a car.

Otherwise don't wait and pull the trigger on an existing model. I think prices will still drop more coming into the UK winter. Gloom etc
I agree Graeme. Its the GBP:EURO cross that is telling here. The European car manufacturers will be holding forward cover 6-12 months but that will be expiring soon and I suspect Brexit in June already meant a correction was in the wind let alone the tanking thats occured in the last 72 hours. I suspect the GBP is over sold for the short term but long term its probably under pressure. Tonight US NFP will have further influence over the currency markets. If the number is 175,000 or greater I think well see the USD strengthen next week against everything, if its less then we will see the opposite. The USD:GBP rate may be in for some more headlines if the former. The markets seem to be struggling today to understand what has caused the GBP drop. Maybe a trading platform stop loss issue.

The fact remains as you elluded:

If you can make a 125K GBP GT3 or a 85K GBP GT4 (market rates in UK today after some haggling)work on todays maths given those were 100K GBP and 65K GBP inc VAT before options when sold new - then the deal stacks.

Ive run the maths and against the local market those both work to the tune of around 30-40K NZD savings.

Either our local market needs to correct, the GBP needs to gain 20% or else for the medium term - even with a sizable UK retail price adjustment on the next variations of those models in 2017 & 2019 the arbitrage opportunity remains....

Anything else that can be arbitraged is worth considering. A container full of Michelin tyres for example!

Last edited by Macca; 10-07-2016 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Very interesting reading Macca. I'd love to do a euro road trip within the next few years and bring a car back. Unfortunately Jan's not at all keen touring Europe in a RHD car on LHD roads even though I know it will be fine.
Doug. As long as she isnt driving I cant see a problem. Certainty not enough to invalidate a wonderful European holiday :-). I actually find driving RHD on Right hand side of road a non issue. If doubt persists let Joanna and I have a chat to her next time in Oakura mate.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here are a couple Im sure can be had for 85K or below. Not VAT qualifying examples though.
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2016, 05:16 AM
Dust 00
Track Day

Has anyone looked into the 911r as an import? or do we assume the 991 of 911r's allocation has sold through and therefore won't qualify for VAT savings?
Old 10-07-2016, 05:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Dust 00
Has anyone looked into the 911r as an import? or do we assume the 991 of 911r's allocation has sold through and therefore won't qualify for VAT savings?
Long since sold out. I saw an advert for USD 700k on a new one. I don't think VAT qualifying will be much use
Old 10-07-2016, 05:28 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 5 911r came to NZ, one for each dealer plus Giltraps one on display. There's guys who have been buying new Porsche for 10 years who couldn't get a sniff on one here. At the ask price now, one probably won't ever see a fast drive.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...sed-car-market

Last edited by Pel; 10-07-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:29 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

John did you see this one?
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2016, 05:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Wow. Last years prices! Looks like it's gone...
Old 10-07-2016, 05:41 AM
Dust 00
Track Day

Originally Posted by John McM
Long since sold out. I saw an advert for USD 700k on a new one. I don't think VAT qualifying will be much use
I stupidly just looked at the Uk site where they still have the RRP listed and got excited http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911/911-r/

was thinking that the ebay listings for pre sales were all just hype.. clearly not so.
Save
Old 10-07-2016, 06:24 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

It was listed as "uncompliable". Suspect missing dereg papers or had significant damage somewhere.

On EU insurance Macca - how'd you manage it with the GT3? And do you have a UK drivers licence, if not would that help?
Old 10-07-2016, 06:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Yes Michael I did.

It has been pulled from Trademe. The FB discussion suggested it has some real issues and is unlikely to be registerable if the current owner (mechanic) couldn't sort it out. NZ new C4 Vin on an ex Japan tipo, flagged by LTSA. Engine is not 1990. Possible reshell of an ex UK car. Where would you start, supposing most of that is true?

I do hope that there is another car out there for me, but right now I've decided to hold the Project car as long as I feel the need to tinker, just in case the price boat has sailed for good. I've just updated the new parts arrivals on my Rennlist thread.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
It was listed as "uncompliable". Suspect missing dereg papers or had significant damage somewhere.

On EU insurance Macca - how'd you manage it with the GT3? And do you have a UK drivers licence, if not would that help?
Jake. This is an except from the email I sent JohnB the MD at Prestigio this afternoon (I was asking for advice). It kinda explains the elimma for anyone looking to do what I was wanting to do.

"...However for UK registration need insurance (3rd party mandatory) to get tax disc. For Insurance need to be UK resident for UK licence. As a non-resident with a commonwealth licence wanting to register and drive a vehicle in UK & Europe seems to be beyond the grasp of UKs bureaucratic system!

Looking at using the car 2 months in UK/Europe.

Apart from the obvious fact that this appears to be glaring insurance industry business opportunity (assumes an underwriter can be found) is there any policy you offer that may assist me or alternatively is there someone, somewhere you can point me to who can assist?

The irony of this is in 2013 we picked up a new 911 GT3 from the factory, registered it in Switzerland (non EU) and insured it with Zurich Insurance with no issues and drove it for a month around Europe etc. Not a problem for a Swiss insurer, but in the UK seems a big problem...
."
Old 10-07-2016, 06:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Yes Michael I did.

It has been pulled from Trademe. The FB discussion suggested it has some real issues and is unlikely to be registerable if the current owner (mechanic) couldn't sort it out. NZ new C4 Vin on an ex Japan tipo, flagged by LTSA. Engine is not 1990. Possible reshell of an ex UK car. Where would you start, supposing most of that is true?

I do hope that there is another car out there for me, but right now I've decided to hold the Project car as long as I feel the need to tinker, just in case the price boat has sailed for good. I've just updated the new parts arrivals on my Rennlist thread.
Bullet dodged. Enjoy what you gat. Finish it and drive it to work. Leave Herman as garage queen.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?