Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 12:13 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Unfortunately I think you miss the point here...

The point of RSG was to have a differentiation to PCNZ. I'm not sure RSG members are prepared to compromise on this. We have created something unique and a real camaraderie - something to this point in time and 18 years of PCNZ membership I have not seen established in this type of event.

You/PCNZ have re branded the formula of Playdays & RSG and re-marketed - that is all as I can tell it. I think RSG members help fill the numbers and that works to mutual benefit of both organisations.

the Playdays format was about low cost entry to enjoying the track to a variety of people both with cars and Bikes. This is likely to change.

P.S. Pete and I have done plenty of work with Elton at HD on pricing and availability. There is no guessing involved to the costs and they are considerably higher than the 6K for a half day you quote. (Happy to take this offline).

....As no one much is on here anymore I doubt it will garner much attention but Id like to think my view here is supported by some. Gary/Tony & Playdays did a great job and I would like where possible to remain loyal to them with RSG. I think all we will see from this is a further hardening of the RSG core with events perhaps a little more Taupo focused in the future but including some new options such as Puke (I like many have not done the new track so that could be fun)....
I think I regularly miss the point mate. My point is that you can still hire the track and copy the format without Playday. I mean no disrespect to Play Day and are greatful for what they did. Out of respect for RSG I dont copy the half day arrive and drive format, though I am sure this would be popular too. These days faff all RSG'ers attend PCNZ track days, maybe several tops last time out of 50 people? surprisingly 13 where first timers to the track and a shame not more RSG representation to poach em? I agree with JMc that RSG has evolved and not really track day focused, though everyone makes an effort when Macca is in town. :-)

Last edited by kiwi 911; 06-07-2016 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry Paul. I wasn't trying to be critical of you or PCNZ because I believe that those fixtures also fulfil a need and are useful winter fixtures all can enjoy. However, like always one organisation can't cater for all and RSG has historically catered for a more intimate audience, one which as John points out has created additional RSG member driving activities and general friendships...

PCNZ may have no issues securing bookings with HD. They are a stalwart incorporated society of long and history tic standing.

RSG however may not be seen in the same light. We too can be marginalised like Playdays with the express intention of forcing our members to consider GT Membership as the only regular access to HD track! However I think there can be only loss for HD if this were to happen as there will be s bad taste for 70 Porsche owners who may be their future clients - as well most of us go to the track to dance against each other or rabbit on about p-cars in the Pitlane and GT Club does not address the need...

I'm not sure how many are following the Payday on Track Facebook thread this evening but many 1000 views and interesting statements by Quinn & HD as well Gary. I contacted Tony today to get s bit of an insight. I think it will all spill out over next few days. A lot of goodwill being lost with grass roots Motorsport through this I suspect. A shame as let's face it we are a nation of "two bob" racers...

HD is not Highlands - but Tony can run it any way he wants as its his track. Who can blame him - if I had his wealth and owned it I would just close to all cars not Porsche cars or people I liked, I'd have 20 something year old models serve me and my buddies sushi from their bellies during lunch break and offer cold compress towels between sessions. I would invite Sting to play a concert every evening at B51 using the camber as amphitheatre and we would all party till late and then sleep on massive bean bags in the club rooms listening to Pink Floyd ;-)
Old 06-07-2016, 03:16 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
My work is sending a st Johns ambo to the islands shortly and spied this familiar GT4 at Giltraps when they went to inspect the ambo.
Hey, just saw that pic. Yes it was there again..... Getting track alignment done after putting it back to stock for Targa. Of the 7 sold by Giltraps, it's the only one that's been in for service, and it's probably been in 8-10 times! They've washed it more than I have !
Old 06-07-2016, 04:18 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone waiting for a GT4 delivery http://flatsixes.com/porsche-culture...bahn-accident/
Old 06-07-2016, 06:49 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HD is not Highlands - but Tony can run it any way he wants as its his track. Who can blame him - if I had his wealth and owned it I would just close to all cars not Porsche cars or people I liked, I'd have 20 something year old models serve me and my buddies sushi from their bellies during lunch break and offer cold compress towels between sessions. I would invite Sting to play a concert every evening at B51 using the camber as amphitheatre and we would all party till late and then sleep on massive bean bags in the club rooms listening to Pink Floyd ;-)
Macca for prime minister.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

No prized for guessing where we are today!!
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2016, 08:13 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I totally understand the Highlands and HD concepts and they are quite popular overseas, but to me it is a lot like a gym membership (but more money). You have to commit and only regular attendance sees value for money, therefore pushing many people into one or the other. I think gyms make a good portion of their money from people who are signed up but don't go (me over the last few months ) which is of course a great way to make cash. But there are lots of people who don't sign up because they know they might not be getting the value. I'm sure most HD members won't be getting full value either so it will be interesting to see what the churn is like. Having a high "joining fee" is an effort to stop that, making people aware if they ever want to leave and come back it will cost them. But it can also lead to people leaving if they are not seeing the value and never coming back, which is worst case for the business.

I would love to join the GT club and be going out to HD once a week etc but right now that just wouldn't work for me. So instead I might not end up going at all. I'm probably not the target market right now though I imagine for either casual attendance or membership so I'm probably a bad example!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:37 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

interesting comment, interesting reply.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1101169190
Old 06-08-2016, 12:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You can buy a similar mileage 968 manual Clubsport still in UK for 40k NZD equivalent. An ex Japan tipo in good condition is worth 16-18k NZD in the local market IMO. Tony M bought his white one back recently for under 10k...
Old 06-10-2016, 01:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Staying at friends place in Florida. This is me standing at the back of their house where there hangar is.

Also a few pics of the neighbors places and a special peak at a friend next door we visited today who has a wee collection (yes that's a real IROC), the 356 Outlaw is an incredible custom build which was on the Jay Leno car show, and the his 935 Haywood Race car - just won Amelia Island Concourse). The least interesting car in his garage was the 4.0L 997 GT3RS....

Been a really brilliant car and plane trip, meeting some fascinating car & Porsche people with some very interesting cars and planes, even getting to drive/fly a few examples....enjoy...
Attached Images     
Old 06-10-2016, 04:00 AM
shiraz
Racer

^ looks like you're having quite an adventure, Mark
Old 06-10-2016, 04:24 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Staying at friends place in Florida. This is me standing at the back of their house where there hangar is.

Also a few pics of the neighbors places and a special peak at a friend next door we visited today who has a wee collection (yes that's a real IROC), the 356 Outlaw is an incredible custom build which was on the Jay Leno car show, and the his 935 Haywood Race car - just won Amelia Island Concourse). The least interesting car in his garage was the 4.0L 997 GT3RS....

Been a really brilliant car and plane trip, meeting some fascinating car & Porsche people with some very interesting cars and planes, even getting to drive/fly a few examples....enjoy...
Awesome mate!. Was cool hearing about it... even cooler seeing you there! Say hi to Jo
Old 06-10-2016, 06:48 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

good on ya Macca
Old 06-10-2016, 05:47 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

such a cool collection, are you driving anything interesting over there? wouldn't mind trying the 2016 mustang for a decent road trip. I think ford is nailing the styling and offering on their new cars including the focus RS you've ordered.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
such a cool collection, are you driving anything interesting over there? wouldn't mind trying the 2016 mustang for a decent road trip. I think ford is nailing the styling and offering on their new cars including the focus RS you've ordered.
The most interesting thing I've driven myself here is 2015 991 Turbo S. Tomorrow we are having a pool and pizza party to introduce myself and Jo to some "car folks" so may get to drive something more interesting then. I know the gentleman with the collection above will be coming over from next door in his 918 Spyder.

Im very impressed with the Ford product lately and Im very much interested to drive a GT350R Mustang while Im here but the car is heavily back ordered and you dont see them on the road...

Today we were taken to the home of a pre imminent Porsche engine builder (worked for RUF and Porsche Motorsports under Albert Springer) by the friend we are staying with (whom also raced with Hans Stuck). David is pretty much the only guy rebuilding GT1 engines in the world (there were only 14 or so of these cars campaigned globally in 1990s). REALLY interesting guy, who knows most of the famous names in Motorsports. We spent a few hours at his home and then went to lunch. Blown away by the connections and stories. I thought Id seen/heard it all LOL! heres a few pictures from his place (some of the cars are clients hes working on in his retirement - he restored the famous Hurley Haywood 930 race car above and has had a number of award winning cars). he may come visit us in NZ some day I hope...

P.S. David was one of the top 962 race mechanics on teh planet and helped the factory iron out a few wrinkles. the crank below is GT1 and I believe the melted cylinder 962. he took us through the GT1 engine in detail. Incredible engine, all one off Motorsport parts, cams are hollow and lightened weigh less than half the ones in my 993, much else including studs and fasteners are titanium, many covers are magnesium, these are 40 hour engines and today to rebuild one of these periodic would be probably 100K+...

P.S. Dave is like Steve R. Has 20 cars of his own unfinished in a shed only, 3-4 runners (very nice carrera 3.0 in fully restored condition in green in picture), has a tonne of rare racing parts and very well connected with the factory (helped solve 962 engine oiling problem for Porsche etc).

Great day. Tomorrow is a big one...
Attached Images          

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?