RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill pop up for a look in my dirty "Powered by Porsche" Audi
Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

RSZWEI. If you are popping over make it Saturday early/mid morning when the Porsche Parade takes place (10am) and also the concourse and huge photo display. Would be great to see you there. Youll never see more P cars in on place in NZ! Assuming my car survives the Taupo track and the motokarna intact Ill give it a wash and you will see it there in the parade or concourse (not) LOL!

M
Old 03-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ 911
Tim. Have a look at www.canterburycarclub.co.nz and specifically at the Rennsport series. Plenty of Porsches racing in there. Ruapuna is about a 5 hour trailer from Dunedin. Timaru circuit is about 2 1/2 hours and Teretonga in Invercargill is about the same.

The Southern Festival of Speed has run a Dunedin street race in the past. My understanding is that it has not been held for the past few years due to the cost of compliance with MotorSport NZ safety requirements. The armco is largely still in place so you never know.....
Thanks for the links. The potential employer has asked for more information.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

hello fellow kiwis,

i've been in the Sinai now for just over a month and its been very good so far. the MFO is a strange beast but its been working for nearly 30 yrs so i guess they're doing something right! It was very sad for us to get here and see that quake hit Chch and then Japan and not be in a position to help.

im on an old Israeli airbase about 50 mins drive from the border and the gaza strip. The Israelis gave it to the MFO and retreated to their borders with the signing of the peace treaty with Egypt.

I'm one of 6 NZ airforce up here so Im not completely alone. The 'blue card' is great for me getting away with a few things that the Army definitely wouldn't tolerate- life is great!

My office and barrack room walls are very bland so I wrote to Porsche NZ to maybe help me out a bit and they blew me away with their response! In addition to the items in the photo they sent me 7 large posters but the very strong they were in still got crushed. If anyone knows someone at Porsche NZ, please let them know there is a very happy kiwi up here!

Generally its very safe here, there's just that risk factor. A lot of the areas we work in we can do so without body armour. Still, its been a volitle last month and a bit so those recent events have restricted our movement a lot. The biggest risks here are vehicle accidents out on the shoddy roads or kids stone throwing. There been quite a few people injured from broken glass which is why in certain areas we wear ballistic glasses.

To a lesser degree, the Sinai is still heavily mined and the frequent sand storms have been known to not only collaspe the poorly made roads but blown mines onto the roads as well!

The NZ Army run a driving school here and we train all 13 country contingents on how to drive safely. Thats kind of ironic considering how many people complain about NZ/ Auckland drivers. Yet, the NZ Army are very well trained and they train well but there is a stark difference in driving ability and most importantly driver attitude across the contingents. There are definitely trends and we can teach someone to do something this way, have penalties to enforce it but at the end of the day its still down to the individual.

the vehicles are fitted with 'driveright' systems which records driver speeds. Sealed roads are restricted to 95kph yet some will still try and test the system. IIRC a couple of weeks ago a US soldier had his licence suspended for 2 months for driving at speeds up to 146kph! The Hungarian MPs inspect the driverights regualrily and they are very unforgiving.

I'm the NZ quartermaster so I don't get off the camp very much but so far I have enjoyed a weekend in Jerusalum seeing some history, going to Masada, swimming in the Dead Sea and climbing onto tanks in the Israeli tank museum. Later on i'm hoping my g/f can fly up and we'll tour Rome, Athens, the greek islands and Petra (jordan). In the meantime I have lots of work to keep me busy.

Internet access is very good for me so I'm still on rennlist most days. I do miss my car though, these chevy utes we use are overkill for a camp with a 35kph speed limit. They're very big and clumsy.

Well thats it for now, the pics below are:
1. my loot from Porsche NZ
2. NZ flag flying at the SNCO barracks
3. myself at a range shoot yesterday
4 & 5. The NZ TAT offices
6. A cheeky stab at our Aussie neighbours
7. the Patio bar at the SNCO barracks
8. Some of the trucks the junior ranks drive the Sinai and Israel in.

Last edited by J1NX3D; 11-15-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:16 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

That's very cool of Porsche to respond like that. Normally they wanta grand to do anything! There's some good reading in that lot.
Keep you head down mate and make it back in one piece.
Cheers
Old 05-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just checking in again after a long time out of the loop... hard to know where the time has gone actually!

It hasn't been a vintage year really, with everything that has happened in NZ and overseas. I haven't done nearly enough P-car driving either, since the 944 spent about 6 weeks on the naughty chair (ie. in the shop), after blowing its head gasket. Unfortunately once they had the engine out and open they found it needed a bit of work, and I wanted a bunch of other things done while they were in there (timing belts, fixing oil leaks etc.), so it ended up being a fairly big job. In fact, it ended up costing only slightly less than what I bought the car for 4 years ago! Still, I never for a moment considered giving up on the car -- it didn't seem fair when this is the first major problem it's had (and after all, it's gone 25 years with no engine work). It's not all bad though, there have been lots of positives out of it -- for the first time since I've owned it it's not losing oil or coolant, and I'll be more confident wringing its neck on DE and track days. Also, the shop reckoned the refreshed engine will retrieve 10-15HP lost over the years (OK, stop laughing Macca, I know you probably lose that much down the back of the couch and not even notice! It's a lot for a 944!).

So with all that, and the price of petrol these days, I've haven't used it much or been on any runs or anything like that recently. However, we did go away for Easter to the eastern BOP, so it got a bit of a workout then. On the way back the bad weather caused flooding and road closures on SH35, and we ended up having to wait a day and then go east and detour through Gisborne (an extra 3 hours) to get home. As you can imagine, I wasn't too sad about an extra 3 hours of driving the Porsche on some of the most fun (twisty and very little traffic) roads I know. I'm still wearing it in so I was taking it pretty easy, but it still gave me a reminder of why it's such a fun car. 7.5 hours of driving and never missed a beat either.

I've registered for the Porsche Parade next year and I'm doing the driver training and gymkhana. Sounds like there are a few others here going, should be a great time I think.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Obsessed. Great update!

My latested adventures are here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=6980

Hope to have the project completed by year end ready for the Parade. Also doing the DE and gymkhana so will see you there. Cant wait....

Cheers
M
Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Thanks Macca, and I must say your car is insane (and I mean that in the nicest possible way!). Looking at the list of mods I think the percentage of original parts remaining must be fast approaching 0% I look forward to admiring it in the flesh at a future PCNZ event...

Michael
Old 05-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Michael. Still a fair bit more work to do before the Parade. Have another dozen or so ideas Id like to implement. Some subtle tweaks and some a little more involved....ill keep the thread alive till the end of the project so check back in June and November.

Look forward to seeing you in Feb 012.

Cheers
M
Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

*sigh*

so i got woken up by my skype ringing this morning. I had told my g/f to ring me at 7am my time.

I accept the call and she tells me she has bad news and then she starts crying. She was at albany mall today and reversing to her left out of a park. there was a car to her left that had stopped short and was waiting for her. she was almost at the end of the maneuver to start to drive forward and a lady in a white station wagon backed into her. Just plain didnt look. so my g/f got out of the car freaking out and this 40-something yr old woman from Warkworth met her looking very casual, didn't apologise, was just completely aloof.
The lady took all the damage on her bumper so her car was effectively fine. she looked at the damage on my car and said words to the effect of "oh that doesn't look that bad..."and they looked for damage on her own car and there was a broken tail light and she says "Dont worry about that, thats from last weekend..." W.T.F??

Got all the insurance details, will get 3 quotes, etc but my g/f leaves for Dubai tomorrow to make her way here to see me and is gone for a month. My insurance said they will make an allowance for the claim being late due to our travel plans though so I can still claim, get the damage repaired and make up the difference to get my front spoiler on and a full respray.

Last edited by J1NX3D; 11-15-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:04 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Damn, that really sucks Jinxed. That's the last thing you need to be worrying about over there!

I hope your insurance comes through for you and you can get it fixed as good as new.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Looks like I will be flying to NZ in September for an interview, should be interesting? Can't say I'm looking forward to the long flights!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:40 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool which city are you going to?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Dunedin. The interview is at the U. of Otago.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:28 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

September is the start of Spring and will still be a bit brisk. Especially coming from Summer in B'ham! Pack some my warm clothes, my friend!

Thanks, Obsessed. Insurance is taking care of it. The shop my stepdad uses for his Porsches is an approved repairer with my insurance company and is 5 mins drive from my house

Last edited by J1NX3D; 06-29-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?