Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 08:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by JD-Motorsports
Well, all I can say is I hope the ChCh buyer had a PPI done somewhere?? We didn't do one on it. One could say that the car is unique.... it has some good things I suppose. The paint is nice...ish. It runs well and feels like a decent 964 for the most part. But there are some issues with it. It was evident that whoever did the gearbox service / re-build was not that good. It is leaking oil pretty bad already and the clutch pedal sticks halfway in its travel at times. The needle bearings on the T/O bearing release fork are probably stuffed and or the slave is shot. The secondary muffler has been omitted... not a big deal, but one usually fits some sort of exhaust pipe to exit the rear of the car! The exhaust just dumps out of the main muffler at a 90 deg angle to the rear bumper. Oil leaks, oil leaks and more oil leaks. Brake booster pump operation is suspect. Aftermarket sound system install is a rats nest. Its just a frankin-Porsche. As long as the ChCh buyer is aware of that, then happy motoring I suppose. HDR photography can do wonders I tell ya! Good from far...far from good!
I suspect the market is so hot at that price point that there's no time for a PPI. If I remember correctly there was a $7k mark up from the Trademe sale, which doesn't cover much if gearbox and paint have been done. In fact I imagine they barely broke even. It sounds like those were poorly done.

The reality is that quality costs, I have the T shirt for that.

People, where have all of the coupes gone? I need something to play with.
Attached Images   
Old 12-31-2015, 09:16 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Hermans looking really nice John, can't wait to see it in the flesh.

You're making me want a 964 more than ever!
Old 12-31-2015, 09:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier
^^^ Hermans looking really nice John, can't wait to see it in the flesh. You're making me want a 964 more than ever!
He's grumpy as well. Can't wait to hit the rev limiter with the bypasses in place. If there was a Spare G pipe I would run him with no exhaust at all. There's something about the 964 engine note
Old 01-01-2016, 02:21 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Good idea John. BBQ and a few beers. Who else is keen?
Yes, also at the Saturday dinner
Old 01-01-2016, 02:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
Yes, also at the Saturday dinner
Same here, I've booked for the dinner on the first weekend.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:19 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I suspect the market is so hot at that price point that there's no time for a PPI. If I remember correctly there was a $7k mark up from the Trademe sale, which doesn't cover much if gearbox and paint have been done. In fact I imagine they barely broke even. It sounds like those were poorly done.

The reality is that quality costs, I have the T shirt for that.

People, where have all of the coupes gone? I need something to play with.
What's your opinion on the white sills now? I think it might look more balanced if black?
Old 01-01-2016, 06:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
What's your opinion on the white sills now? I think it might look more balanced if black?
From some angles I prefer all white to the OE black and from others the OE. Looking on the net many of the other single colour cars have decals. Back to the past! I have spare Carrera decals in red.
Attached Images  

Last edited by John McM; 01-01-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:34 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

From some angles I prefer all white to the OE black and from others the OE. Looking on the net many of the other single colour cars have decals. Back to the past! I have spare Carrera decals in red.
I guess rather than comit to paint you could get a vinyl wrap on the lower sills.
I'm going to tidy up the sills on the T. I will paint though as the area is rough with underseal finish so can't be wrapped, also jacking points, oil lines etc. I will run a black strip around the bumpers and add the PORSCHE script along the flanks. I jst think an early car with bumper strip and rocker delete needs something.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:34 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Hi Matt, my parents are staying with us that weekend but PM me if you get desperate. Hope you had a good Xmas!
Thanks Mike - hopefully I'll be crashing with Chris B and co!
Old 01-02-2016, 12:02 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Photo shoot this morning. Not the usual range of drop dead photos (maybe the Orange confused the camera metering?) but still a few keepers
In case there's a take 2 in the works, yes you're on to it John - her beautiful orange is actually what would have dulled the shot. An early morning pinky orange tinted sky usually works wonders but too much orange in the shot and cameras with auto white balance will cut it back by cooling the colour temp of the image, just as they do under incandescent lighting. So dawn or sunrise shots of large orange/pink/red/yellow things will look underpowered without doing something like setting a custom white balance using a gray card (or even off a reference shot of something properly white in that same early morning light). Or it can just be shot in RAW and balanced in post-processing.On cameras without either facility we're left with just picking a non-auto white balance preset set like 'overcast' - or even 'fluorescent' if wanting to actively boost orange across the board to play up the dawn.

Loving her look already BTW Dave, and the coming Porsche sidescripts should cap it off nicely.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
In case there's a take 2 in the works, yes you're on to it John - her beautiful orange is actually what would have dulled the shot. An early morning pinky orange tinted sky usually works wonders but too much orange in the shot and cameras with auto white balance will cut it back by cooling the colour temp of the image, just as they do under incandescent lighting. So dawn or sunrise shots of large orange/pink/red/yellow things will look underpowered without doing something like setting a custom white balance using a gray card (or even off a reference shot of something properly white in that same early morning light). Or it can just be shot in RAW and balanced in post-processing.On cameras without either facility we're left with just picking a non-auto white balance preset set like 'overcast' - or even 'fluorescent' if wanting to actively boost orange across the board to play up the dawn. Loving her look already BTW Dave, and the coming Porsche sidescripts should cap it off nicely.
I use a Canon 5D Mk2 and there are so many options I don't understand that I just set it to full auto. Combined with the L series lenses I normally get beautiful images with that set up. As the gear is nominally my wife's and locked well away from prying eyes I don't get much chance to practice.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:29 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here ya go John McM http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1009310116.htm
Old 01-02-2016, 12:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

This thread is quiet right now so I'll fill the space with an update on Herman.

I am booked in for a WOF and alignment at CCS on Tuesday. Right now it's looking good for that and I'm basically sorted, bar any leaks or other issues showing up when I push it.

The last hiccup was the throttle cable setting, which I resolved this afternoon. I now have the correct microswitch operation for idle and wide open throttle, which will let the Typhoon ECU work its magic.

With the cat and cup bypasses Herman is a bit on the loud side, but the extra 10hp with the cat bypass means I will put the primary back on if need be. I'm not interested in giving up any power. I also checked and have my resonance flap opening at 5,700 rpm, which based on this motec graph looks perfect for that Lola taming grunt. That's another 20hp on what I've been running since January.

I figure I've picked up maybe 5kg with the extra paint coat so I deleted the rear heater fan to compensate I'm running with nothing in the frunk (no spare, no tools and no carpet) and I may get a light battery to lose a few more kg. Also in the firing line is the aircon compressor. After that I'm running out of items to cull weight.

That will leave more power as an obvious goal. I need to wire a plug for the wide band O2 sensor to check that I'm getting the most out of the current setup.
Attached Images   
Old 01-02-2016, 01:10 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also checked and have my resonance flap opening at 5,700 rpm, which based on this motec graph looks perfect for that Lola taming grunt. That's another 20hp on what I've been running since January.
Thanks for the graph - pretty spectacular what that flap can do. Almost reminds me of 'Feel that VTEC kick in yo!' on the H front!
Old 01-02-2016, 01:17 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Thanks for the graph - pretty spectacular what that flap can do. Almost reminds me of 'Feel that VTEC kick in yo!' on the H front!
Yes, a similar effect. The lack of this is why Herman was whohoo at lower revs but flat in the upper range. Now it's all on. Full noise to go with it just adds to the fun. Let's hope this rain is well gone by the Festival, otherwise Herman may be out there alone.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?