Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015 | 12:02 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

I guess it could be a good candidate for the RWB treatment?
Old 12-26-2015 | 12:03 AM
Leong72
Instructor

And sorry to read about your car Luke..
Old 12-26-2015 | 01:23 AM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Luke - sorry to hear about your car - looks like you have 'lost it' and clipped both ends of the car.

I hope you get another Pcar.
Originally Posted by Macca
Damn. Luke where are you? What happened? Track or road damage.

I will possibly bid on this car. Just heads up for others on here. pM me if you see issue. I think it will make a good project?
Hi guys, I’ve been laying low and collecting my thoughts. I saw it had been advertised so was going to put a post up but you’ve beaten me to it.

Better to have loved and lost and all that... And I did love that car. I had some great adventures in it - 5 track days, lots of Sunday runs and I took it up to Auckland and down to Invercargill in just over the year I had it. Being a higher kms car I didn’t feel guilty driving it all the time which ultimately, led to my downfall.

Paul has spotted it right. Basically the rear end stepped out on me in the rain on a horrible piece of oily, rubbery road. I nearly caught it but overcorrected and the front hit the fence which dragged the rear into a high curb. So the rear axle has taken the brunt of the impact. It was just a series of unfortunate events. At the end of the day I’m in one piece and I’m glad I wasn’t doing anything stupid at the time.

Macca- Dean is on the money. The gearbox is a mess so the list of parts needed is long and pricey. I’ve tossed up the pros and cons of keeping it but came to the conclusion I don’t have the mechanical know how or time to tinker on such a project. So I’ve decided to walk away. I’d love it if someone buys it and turns it into an unashamed hot rod.

In terms of a next step I’ll sit tight and let the dust settle for now. I love Pcars so I’ll definitely get another. Owning a 993 was a one I just had to tick off the list. My initial thoughts are a manual 997 S to try something water cooled. Something to ponder for the New Year.
Old 12-26-2015 | 01:56 AM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
NZ new C2. The last 993 went for a relatively modest price. I wonder if Luke will bid on the auction. 6/1. If not I imagine a few 964 tipo drivers will be salivating at the thought of a box transplant.
Just a little! But count me out. Sounds like it's out of my league with the box a little damaged. Sorry to hear about it though Luke I hope someone does it justice
Old 12-26-2015 | 02:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nmaisey
Just a little! But count me out. Sounds like it's out of my league with the box a little damaged. Sorry to hear about it though Luke I hope someone does it justice
Gearbox damage is a biggie. Catch the driveshaft side on and you could punch a hole in the side of the transmission. With that gone the remaining value is dramatically reduced. Sorry it ended this way for you Luke.
Old 12-26-2015 | 02:48 AM
Ponto
Intermediate

Hi Luke,
really sorry to hear about the car mate, that sucks! Has happened to me in the past and took a wee while to put it behind me, just glad you are well and no physical injury.👍🏻Making plans for the next one is always good 😃!
Originally Posted by Luke944
Hi guys, I’ve been laying low and collecting my thoughts. I saw it had been advertised so was going to put a post up but you’ve beaten me to it.

Better to have loved and lost and all that... And I did love that car. I had some great adventures in it - 5 track days, lots of Sunday runs and I took it up to Auckland and down to Invercargill in just over the year I had it. Being a higher kms car I didn’t feel guilty driving it all the time which ultimately, led to my downfall.

Paul has spotted it right. Basically the rear end stepped out on me in the rain on a horrible piece of oily, rubbery road. I nearly caught it but overcorrected and the front hit the fence which dragged the rear into a high curb. So the rear axle has taken the brunt of the impact. It was just a series of unfortunate events. At the end of the day I’m in one piece and I’m glad I wasn’t doing anything stupid at the time.

Macca- Dean is on the money. The gearbox is a mess so the list of parts needed is long and pricey. I’ve tossed up the pros and cons of keeping it but came to the conclusion I don’t have the mechanical know how or time to tinker on such a project. So I’ve decided to walk away. I’d love it if someone buys it and turns it into an unashamed hot rod.

In terms of a next step I’ll sit tight and let the dust settle for now. I love Pcars so I’ll definitely get another. Owning a 993 was a one I just had to tick off the list. My initial thoughts are a manual 997 S to try something water cooled. Something to ponder for the New Year.
Old 12-26-2015 | 02:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Luke. Glad to hear you were ok. I assumed so as the airbags did not appear to have gone off. A real shame as it was a nice example but onwards and upwards and Im sure you will have fun shopping a replacement...
Old 12-26-2015 | 02:51 AM
Ponto
Intermediate

Anyone know much about this car? Does have some interesting possibilities!
Originally Posted by kiwi 911
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1005510026.htm

^^^^ JMc - you are swimming in project opportunities!!

Un-993 fender it, de-spoiler it and convert to a hard top!!

Then you would have a wide body 964!!

Or - keep it a cab and speedster it with a low windscreen and rear hood??
Old 12-26-2015 | 04:31 AM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the messages guys. Yes, there's certainly the silver lining of looking for a new one. I'll enjoy the process.
Old 12-26-2015 | 05:02 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Hi guys, I’ve been laying low and collecting my thoughts...better to have loved and lost and all that... And I did love that car. I had some great adventures in it - 5 track days, lots of Sunday runs and I took it up to Auckland and down to Invercargill in just over the year I had it. Being a higher kms car I didn’t feel guilty driving it all the time...At the end of the day I’m in one piece and I’m glad I wasn’t doing anything stupid at the time. Initial thoughts are a manual 997 S to try something water cooled. Something to ponder for the New Year.
Luke, just catching up on the thread and really sorry to hear about this but glad you're OK and will be able to get back out there again in another Porsche. Good to see you made the most of her during your time together - bodes well for enjoying her successor down the track.
Old 12-26-2015 | 05:39 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Thanks for the messages guys. Yes, there's certainly the silver lining of looking for a new one. I'll enjoy the process.
Sorry to hear about the accident Luke, glad to hear you are ok though and able to see the silver lining.
Old 12-26-2015 | 07:05 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Leong72

The M5 isn't getting much use at the moment, just when theres more than two of us. Was gonna try to meet up with you while in Wgtn with the car but ran out of time... was only there 2 days.
shame, would have liked to check out the gt4
Old 12-26-2015 | 01:01 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Default Brake pads

I am starting to collect parts for a complete service & pre track day at Highlands. So, brake pad recommendation & source? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-2015 | 03:16 PM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes
I am starting to collect parts for a complete service & pre track day at Highlands. So, brake pad recommendation & source? Thanks in advance.
I have tried textar (not oem Porsche)

Ebc yellow stuff

And just now endless me22

The endless has been by far the best. The me22 are a track pad so are a bit noisy for road driving . My advice is spend decent money get decent pads (endless) others on here rate the mx72 which is a road/ race pad and is more suited to road driving than the me22
Old 12-26-2015 | 03:30 PM
Ponto
Intermediate

Hi Steve, Mike from Endless or Barry @ M Developments QTown have both supplied me before and were very reasonable I thought, both are supplying the Highlands members so have good compound options, let me know if you want contact details etc. cheers
Originally Posted by Spokes

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?