Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 06:29 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Spring plates = camber plates? $1500 is expensive. Tarett mounts for the 997 are "only" NZD$750. http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...smt-detail.htm
Old 10-22-2015, 06:55 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
All but sorted on the box. An agonising two weeks plus to get the gasket set by USPS. Design 911 win the freight race hands down, generally 3 or 4 days. Rather bizarrely the Spring plates came the same way and were delivered today without GST etc. No dodgy 'gift' values so don't know what happened there. Just the engine carrier reinforcement to arrive now.

I'm real,y not sure how much I can get done and when. If I pick up the box I can get it back in the car within a day or so, but I have yet to do the nose bearing, RMS, valve covers etc. travel again will fast forward me to late November. There is a possibility I will still be going by late Dec but I hope not.
USPS don't automatically declare, so most items above the GST threshold slip through unless Customs do a "spot check".
Couriers by default declare, so close to 100% of UPS/DHL items will attract GST.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-22-2015, 06:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Quick question. Is 170nm enough torque for a 18v cordless impact wrench to do lug nuts on 911?

I need a few battery packs and charger for Ryobi Plus One gear here and its almost as cheap to but them in a package with their cordless impact driver which could be useful in the future.

Here is the link. Someone please tell me if its junk or not?

http://www.bunnings.co.nz/ryobi-one-...kit-_p06210635
Old 10-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
USPS don't automatically declare, so most items above the GST threshold slip through unless Customs do a "spot check".
Couriers by default declare, so close to 100% of UPS/DHL items will attract GST.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-22-2015, 07:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Spring plates = camber plates? $1500 is expensive. Tarett mounts for the 997 are "only" NZD$750. http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...smt-detail.htm
http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-...-arms/list.htm

Had I paid the GST etc, these would have come to NZD 1,535 landed.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:19 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John, are you using all OEM for the suspension components you're refreshing? Or some AM kit? Looking into options for my car, but read up on the LVV details and am now second guessing myself due to not wanting to have to get a cert.
Been a while since I last read through it all but the two main suspension restrictions look to be that you can't go to height adjustable coilovers unless the factory originals were height adjustable and any anti-roll/sway bars must fit to the original mounting points. On that last one, can anyone confirm how droplinks are interpreted - ie are they seen as the mounting point for the ARB and thus factory only are permitted or are they free as long as they fit to the original chassis mounting points?

Originally Posted by Macca
Quick question. Is 170nm enough torque for a 18v cordless impact wrench to do lug nuts on 911?

I need a few battery packs and charger for Ryobi Plus One gear here and its almost as cheap to but them in a package with their cordless impact driver which could be useful in the future.

Here is the link. Someone please tell me if its junk or not?

http://www.bunnings.co.nz/ryobi-one-...kit-_p06210635
I've used various bits of Ryobi gear over the years and it's generally been a bit agricultural and low tech but held up OK. That Ryobi is possibly higher rated than John's cheapie (which is still handy for the Hondas, with hand finishing) and might just do the job but it would likley be working near its limits a lot of the time, particularly if you're hoping it will break bound lugs loose.

If you don't mind spending a little more on a sturdier one (rated for 325 ftlbs/440Nm) this Makita is worth a look, though you'd need to add a battery on top:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics...-968799445.htm

Am assuming above that the ratings applied to them are a bit of a 'best case' scenario like photocopiers though, so for all I know someone may have happily been using a Ryobi like that and hammering it in a workshop environment...
Old 10-22-2015, 07:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek

Cheers,
Mike
Funny, it had the amount on the front of the box.

Anyway, I'll take the win as the Cogs Cogs parts via USPS took the 'normal' hit, as have many other items over the last months. The cost has been considerable.

The best part is that tonight I begin my leave and can undertake an intensive rebuild period. I expect the body will be back towards the end of next week and I'll pick up the box in the following week. I hope to have a self powered car by the time I go back overseas.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
That Ryobi is possibly higher rated than John's cheapie (which is still handy for the Hondas, with hand finishing) and might just do the job but it would be working near its limits a lot of the time.

If you don't mind spending a little more on a sturdier one (rated for 325 ftlbs/440Nm) this Makita is worth a look, though you'd need to add a battery on top:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics...-968799445.htm
It really depends what you want to do.

For undoing wheel nuts the Super Cheap item does the job and can be sourced for ~ $150 on special. I would NEVER use one as the sole source of refitting wheel nuts. Enough to torque it up below the final torque then finish it properly with a torque wrench.

If you want something that can undo axle nuts etc then you are talking $$$.

I have gone another way as I don't want to spend that money, it still requires a big **** torque wrench, and I don't like swinging on a cheater bar (100kg on the end of a bending bar is a recipe for an accident).

Instead I have gone this route. It takes your input and multiplies it so a 340Nm torque only requires a 113Nm effort (like a wheel lug)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-fa...-968845522.htm
Old 10-22-2015, 07:45 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
It's because the general populace aspire to own a hilux John or if their numbers come in the a Landy with the 8 cylinder mill...
Only ever see Caymans and Boxters.

Dropped into the local Pcar Dealership and not 1 911 (or should I say 991) for sale - just P-trucks and Boxsters.

I did see a few 991 GT3's in the service bay and a very tastie 996 GT3 modd'ed for track use.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2015, 07:45 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've spoken to customs about this. As Mikey says they only randomly open packages to determine value, Usually by an included invoice. If they don't open it and total is not visible they will use the amount declared by Youshop (assuming you are using that service) else will contact you for a valuation including a copy of the invoice. They do open themselves up for some fraud here but you takes your chances. "Gift" valuations are a way around it but then you get screwed if the item goes missing as your insurance under valued. That said i have not ever had a lost parcel
Old 10-22-2015, 07:53 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
It really depends what you want to do.

For undoing wheel nuts the Super Cheap item does the job and can be sourced for ~ $150 on special. I would NEVER use one as the sole source of refitting wheel nuts. Enough to torque it up below the final torque then finish it properly with a torque wrench.

If you want something that can undo axle nuts etc then you are talking $$$.

I have gone another way as I don't want to spend that money, it still requires a big **** torque wrench, and I don't like swinging on a cheater bar (100kg on the end of a bending bar is a recipe for an accident).

Instead I have gone this route. It takes your input and multiplies it so a 340Nm torque only requires a 113Nm effort (like a wheel lug)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-fa...-968845522.htm
How does it work when torquing up? Do you set your torque wrench to a third (3 x miltiplier) of the desired torque?
Old 10-22-2015, 07:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I've spoken to customs about this. As Mikey says they only randomly open packages to determine value, Usually by an included invoice. If they don't open it and total is not visible they will use the amount declared by Youshop (assuming you are using that service) else will contact you for a valuation including a copy of the invoice. They do open themselves up for some fraud here but you takes your chances. "Gift" valuations are a way around it but then you get screwed if the item goes missing as your insurance under valued. That said i have not ever had a lost parcel
I'm a wimp on this stuff, I just declare what it is for what it cost and pay the Man. That said, where something comes through with no payment due to others actions I'm not going to chase it up. Heck, today I couldn't even get through to Customes to confirm I had paid for the Cog Cogs order.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
How does it work when torquing up? Do you set your torque wrench to a third (3 x miltiplier) of the desired torque?
Exactly. It brings almost every part of the car within the capabilities of my tool collection. The only thing now is that I need to buy 3/4" impact sockets for the sizes of the big bolts.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:09 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
If you don't mind spending a little more on a sturdier one (rated for 325 ftlbs/440Nm) this Makita is worth a look ... for all I know someone may have happily been using a Ryobi like that and hammering it in a workshop environment...

http://performanceforums.com/forums/...-67278411.html

"Don't trust the rated torque of impact wrenches. My first impact was a ryobi 1/2 inch drive and it was rated at 250nm. Total crap could not even undo a wheel nut."

"Ryobi was your problem. I've sheared off a wheel stud with my makita..."
Old 10-22-2015, 08:58 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

John, are you using all OEM for the suspension components you're refreshing? Or some AM kit? Looking into options for my car, but read up on the LVV details and am now second guessing myself due to not wanting to have to get a cert.
Cert required for height adjustable coilovers if not already fitted. I bit the bullet and got LVV cert. However I elected to do a bunch of mods at the same time:
  • Coilover struts (Bilstein Motorsport)
  • Torsion bar delete
  • Rear coilovers (Bilstein Motorsport)
  • Polybronze spring plates
  • Racer's Edge solid torsion carrier mounts
  • Racer's Edge monoball strut mounts
  • M030 sway bars (rear adjustable)
  • 968 caster mounts
  • 968 front wishbones with brake ducts
  • Sparco buckets
  • 18" wheels

So save up all your mods and do them at the same time. Painless, $400 and legal.

Cheers,
Mike

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?