Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 03:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Oops, no - must've missed an email or PM about it? Will go hunt for it...
Apparently they are now registered to you. Only the registered holder can renew them. They will be needed for the BBQ race.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:16 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Apparently they are now registered to you. Only the registered holder can renew them. They will be needed for the BBQ race.
That's news - OK will sort it.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:53 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So to get say 20 ftlbs out of a 30cm (foot) long ratcheting spanner you need to apply the same amount of force to the end of it as would just barely lift 9kgs(~20lbs ). For other lengths it's just simple ratios, eg to get that same torque from a 15cm (half-foot) spanner you'd double the force to that of lifting 18kg.
As Macca said, very informative. I never thought about it that way. Puts it into perspective.

The slightly scary thing though is that 'near enough' may often not be 'good enough' when it comes to estimating applied torque.There is a whole science around calculating the force that effectively stretches threads enough to bind fast but not so hard as to deform over time and later work loose.
Agreed. I definitely use a torque on most fasteners that specify it. That said i do try to 'guess' the torque before finalizing it with the tool. I try to underguesstimate so as not to over tighten and ruin the fastener and am getting better at it. The big torque numbers are still tricky though
Old 10-23-2015, 04:03 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

I got Mr Black back to day. I'm very happy with the work Jeff did though the proof of the pudding will be in the tasting. They have a fixed price even though it took the better part of a couple of days work. Looking at the sheet there was a lot of tooing and frowing getting the corners balanced. I still need to go through the setup sheet in depth to fully understand how they achieved what they did. Also next time i am welcome to setup shop down there while they do it so i can get a handle on the mechanics if it all. Great service and a brand new loan car thrown for good measure. All in all a great experience.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:07 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

That's news - OK will sort it.
Good onya, I just entered. Just discovered that my comp licence runs out the day after the race. Lucky, wasn't paying attention.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I got Mr Black back to day. I'm very happy with the work Jeff did though the proof of the pudding will be in the tasting. They have a fixed price even though it took the better part of a couple of days work. Looking at the sheet there was a lot of tooing and frowing getting the corners balanced. I still need to go through the setup sheet in depth to fully understand how they achieved what they did. Also next time i am welcome to setup shop down there while they do it so i can get a handle on the mechanics if it all. Great service and a brand new loan car thrown for good measure. All in all a great experience.
Youll notice a huge difference with the coilovers on track. Herman has his work cut out for him. Throw up the geo sheet when you can. Im always curious as to how others set these cars up...
Old 10-23-2015, 05:49 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Youll notice a huge difference with the coilovers on track. Herman has his work cut out for him. Throw up the geo sheet when you can. Im always curious as to how others set these cars up...
I think mr black has a-ways to go to catch up to herman. He has a lightened flywheel and a fancy ecu do-dad. Not to mention a better driver

Here's the sheet. Hopefully you can see it. I have RL image issues sometimes. Little extra camber. Toe out at the front to help him turn in and a good amount of rake. Balance is not too bad at 49.48% but we can't do too much more unless we get adjustable sway bars and/or drop links. They did get it to 49.96% but that was with the ARB's unfitted. Its a starting point and we'll see how we go from there. Total weight of 1529 kgs includes 80 kegs for the driver and a full tank of gas. Normally they only half fill

Old 10-23-2015, 06:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

1,450 kg ex Driver !!!!!

It's a while back but I recall Herman's last weigh in was closer to 1,370kg. I remember posting the number a 1,000 or so pages back when Doug, Dave and I went to the transfer station for a weigh in. I think Doug was closer to 1,300kg and Dave was well below that in Steve's SC?

As for the track I have no doubt Herman is going to be marked out there despite all of the protestations.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:32 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Toe out at the front to help him turn in and a good amount of rake.
Cool - that toe change alone already should help wake her up nicely.

A reminder to our 2KCup drivers too that the next meet is less than a week away now and both RSG cars will be there - please see the RSG forum. More details over on 2Kcup too.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:00 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
1,450 kg ex Driver !!!!!

It's a while back but I recall Herman's last weigh in was closer to 1,370kg. I remember posting the number a 1,000 or so pages back when Doug, Dave and I went to the transfer station for a weigh in. I think Doug was closer to 1,300kg and Dave was well below that in Steve's SC?

As for the track I have no doubt Herman is going to be marked out there despite all of the protestations.
Don't forget the 37 kegs of fuel. hahaha. Don't mentioned his weight to his face. He gets a little sensitive about it

Has Herman been on a diet? Factory spec weight is 1475kg
Old 10-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That's interesting as I have never seen a geo sheet like that. It took a while to work out the flow but I can now see/understand the changes they have made.

Assuming your camber is in degrees and minutes then you have half a degree more front camber than rear which is about right. For a 964 I think 2.3"/2" is quite a nice track set up. Its a lot more aggressive than 964 RS ROW spec which is just over a degree front and rear but a lot less aggressive than 964 Cup which is closer 4 degrees at front.

Not over the top but a long way from factory too. Depending on your driving style I should think that those settings would suit best someone pushing on for sub 1.20 at HD using a dot rated tyre. The quicker you are (again depending on style) the more tyre roll over you will likely create at HD.

I see they have increased your front bias rake by almost a degree. Your front axle is below RS spec and your rear is above. This adds forward rake. I use a slight forward rake over the factory settings too. Not as much tho. HD is heavily elevated so its not so much needed there but useful on the flatter tracks such as Manfield.

The toe has piqued my interest. I assume you will use Z221 or similar at the track with this car? If so then the negative front toe will give it a slightly twitchy go kart feel on R comp rubber IMO. On road tyres you will not notice this. Ive had this set up prior (a little more aggressive) but have reverted to neutral front toe or minute toe in to make the car feel more stable. Under braking with heavy front compression on turn in (HD again) the front axle tends to push the wheels negative in any case. Id be very curious as to you thoughts here once you mount R comps. On the track this should work fine, but you may find it a little a little more sensitive to inputs on the road on R comps though youll adapt fast enough.

Look forward to your feedback next month after trying the new suspension out in anger. If you take your passenger seat out and ditch your tool kit, inflator and spare youll even be as light as Herman LOL!
Old 10-23-2015, 08:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

For those not on FB. The couriers have been busy over the last two weeks.
Attached Images  

Last edited by John McM; 10-23-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

PS. They did a good job on the corner weight balancing. Is it obviously looking at the car from outside on a flat surface at all? I have my geo conducted with a 90Kg ballast in the 993 driver seat but Ive never bothered to have the car corner weight balanced as it spends alot of the time on the road & track with a passenger. The 997/991 GT3 guys dont seem to bother with it much at all. I wonder if its not as applicable on these newer PSAM chassis...
Old 10-23-2015, 09:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Found the post from Doug:

Cars with full tanks of gas, empty boot (no spare etc). I won't post the driver weights apart from saying I get a 15kg advantage there :-)
These weights are driverless:

Lola 1334kg. 2 x std bucket seats (45kg), black forged 996 wheels with R888s
Herman 1380kg. 1x 8kg seat, fuchs with road tyres
Daves 80's loaner 1140kg

So of course John is looking where he can loose 36kg to get down to Lola weight. Problem for him is I've got quite a lot to loose in the seats and I suspect the wheels if I revert to the D90 16" on good rubber. Heh.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:06 PM
andy928
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

964 Parts

Im just after a few items to tidy her up.

I hope I have explained what i need ok below.

1, The plastic holder that screws into the dash that holds the ash tray .

2, The lower plastic section that the steering column switch surround, just the bottom half.

I have only three "arms" left side blinkers, and below that on board computer control and on the right just window wipers.

I have no air bag.

3, 4 x centre caps with the coloured Porsche crest.

4, the plastic surround that goes in front of the gear stick that does the rear spoiler lifting (mine is a C2)

5, Rear plastic PORSCHE reflector.

6, Air compressor

Cheers

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?