Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

...although they made a few mistakes on the LVV plate. Apparently my engine is an IL6.

Guess that gives me a few options for the future...
Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Last edited by mikey_audiogeek; 10-22-2015 at 09:01 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 10-22-2015, 09:22 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
...although they made a few mistakes on the LVV plate. Apparently my engine is an IL6.

Guess that gives me a few options for the future...
Nice package of mods. On any future inline 6 engine front, an RB26DETT would be too hard to shoehorn in but a worked over 2JZ-GTE could be an option. They can take big power but the weight - about 100 kgs more - wouldn't do your handling any favours. You would her old self I'd say.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:29 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Nice package of mods. On the future engine front, an RB26DETT would be too hard to shoehorn in so my vote goes to a worked over 2JZ-GTE.
Yup 2JZ-GTE would be nice!
Old 10-22-2015, 10:03 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Cert required for height adjustable coilovers if not already fitted. I bit the bullet and got LVV cert.
Have no plans to swap springs/shocks. My shopping list may include drop links, control arms and camber plates however.

The LVV rules dictate that any part of the suspension replaced with a part that is not OEM as per car as delivered will need review and certification. While you might get a friendly WOF agent to tick the boxes, you are likely to run into trouble if you are in an accident and the assessors review the car in detail. Talking to an agent from LVVTA, he noted that they have had many questions from insurers/assessors on these particular rules.

So my shopping list has been modified to be sway bars (mount points are chassis Walter) and OEM Turbo LCAs (instead of GT3). Much cheaper and while it limits me to -1.2 up front it saves me $2000 and a plate riveted to the car.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Walt. Thanks for the advice on the impact gun. Further research indicates you are on the money and Makita or go home when it comes to Ryobi! Appreciate the input...

John. I looked around at Rennline and others and they are all asking the same price for those spring plates. No other options there. Tarret makes great stuff.

With the LVVC I was told by Dean at CCS if the same model vehicle has a sub variant that used the height adjustable shocks then this would be acceptable to avoid LVVC. Not sure on the implications here or if that is even correct. For example 993RS shocks (height adjustable by bilstein in OEM form) can be used on base C2 allowing height adjustable shocks by Bilstein to be retro fitted to C2. He always seemed adamant there was no need for LVVC on my vehicle. Again we are going over old ground and it seems there is some variance interpretation to the rules here...
Old 10-22-2015, 10:27 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm a wimp on this stuff, I just declare what it is for what it cost and pay the Man. That said, where something comes through with no payment due to others actions I'm not going to chase it up. Heck, today I couldn't even get through to Customes to confirm I had paid for the Cog Cogs order.
My approach exactly. I don't need the stress to save a few $$$.

Originally Posted by 996tnz

http://performanceforums.com/forums/...-67278411.html

"Don't trust the rated torque of impact wrenches. My first impact was a ryobi 1/2 inch drive and it was rated at 250nm. Total crap could not even undo a wheel nut."

"Ryobi was your problem. I've sheared off a wheel stud with my makita..."
I never use a rattle gun to torque up fasteners. I use a lovely Snap-on and air but still don't trust it. I use a torque wrench on the important stuff. The more of this I do the better i get at approximating torque using feel
Old 10-22-2015, 10:33 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I've spoken to customs about this. As Mikey says they only randomly open packages to determine value, Usually by an included invoice. If they don't open it and total is not visible they will use the amount declared by Youshop (assuming you are using that service) else will contact you for a valuation including a copy of the invoice. They do open themselves up for some fraud here but you takes your chances. "Gift" valuations are a way around it but then you get screwed if the item goes missing as your insurance under valued. That said i have not ever had a lost parcel
I have had success with shipito, recommended. The service allows the ability to remove invoices and repackage, which ends up being a better way to ensure everything is packaged properly anyway. One of the stranger orders was a set of tyres from Design 911 that turned up as-is, that-is rolled on the plane and off again with no packaging, again no duty on that despite their obvious value?
Old 10-22-2015, 10:44 PM
andy928
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Afternoon

Just doing a few bits to my 964.

Does anyone have any bits for sale or know of anyone that might?????

Private email is fine,

thank you.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:50 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I never use a rattle gun to torque up fasteners. I use a lovely Snap-on and air but still don't trust it. I use a torque wrench on the important stuff. The more of this I do the better i get at approximating torque using feel
I manually tighten off with a proper torque wrench too, but a grunty impact drill can be handy to break the nuts loose when time is of the essence. I've also torqued by feel when caught short. Helps that ft-lbs and Nm are essentially just weight over a distance, as you and most here would know. So to get say 20 ftlbs out of a 30cm (foot) long ratcheting spanner you need to apply the same amount of force to the end of it as would just barely lift 9kgs(~20lbs ). For other lengths it's just simple ratios, eg to get that same torque from a 15cm (half-foot) spanner you'd double the force to that of lifting 18kg.

The slightly scary thing though is that 'near enough' may often not be 'good enough' when it comes to estimating applied torque.There is a whole science around calculating the force that effectively stretches threads enough to bind fast but not so hard as to deform over time and later work loose.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Walt you are always a fountain of knowledge! I have learnt plenty from your explanations. Good for the layman they are :-)
Old 10-23-2015, 01:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by andy928
Afternoon

Just doing a few bits to my 964.

Does anyone have any bits for sale or know of anyone that might?????

Private email is fine,

thank you.
What are you looking for ?
Old 10-23-2015, 02:51 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macca
Walt you are always a fountain of knowledge! I have learnt plenty from your explanations. Good for the layman they are :-)
Thanks Macca. Always been curious about stuff, and just glad some of it turns out to be useful now and again. I can't come here without learning something each time either.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Walter, have you renewed the transponder subscription?
Old 10-23-2015, 03:00 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
Walter, have you renewed the transponder subscription?
Oops, no - must've missed an email or PM about it? Will go hunt for it...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?