Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 02:09 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^ The 964 next to the 919 is a real 964 Cup Car owned by Steve Neville.

I have already been asked to enter Concours full, and the answer is hell no!

The 993 ended up controlling me and I stopped enjoying the ownership experience. The purpose of entering Concours light was to lift the condition of the 3.2 a notch. The car is far from perfect, but presents as a nice, original car, and I am happy to leave it this way.

The girls sat in the back on the way home and have put their fingers over everything.

Only mod left is to install the Becker Grand Prix to give me a reasonably good stereo.

P.s - I got to see the 5spd 964 C2 that is burgandy today. The car was on TM about 5 months ago. The TM photos did the car no justice - it presented really well and I liked the colour real life, OK not my first pick, but I would happily leave as-is. The owner was a good guy and I should have got his details as an RSG candidate.
I can sympathize with that re concourse. I keep thinking I need to wash the 911 but haven't got around to it and think too bad I'm flat out and its nearly Xmas. It can get some love after Xmas when I have plenty of time. Concourse stuff you can't think like that.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John as a Banker youll find the article below on the frothy car market in the US particularly concerning. 1031 exchanges, asset backed leveraging and auction house credit lines...sounds a little scary.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/05/jay-l...overdrive.html
Old 12-06-2015, 04:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^ The 964 next to the 919 is a real 964 Cup Car owned by Steve Neville.

I have already been asked to enter Concours full, and the answer is hell no!

The 993 ended up controlling me and I stopped enjoying the ownership experience. The purpose of entering Concours light was to lift the condition of the 3.2 a notch. The car is far from perfect, but presents as a nice, original car, and I am happy to leave it this way.

The girls sat in the back on the way home and have put their fingers over everything.

Only mod left is to install the Becker Grand Prix to give me a reasonably good stereo.

P.s - I got to see the 5spd 964 C2 that is burgandy today. The car was on TM about 5 months ago. The TM photos did the car no justice - it presented really well and I liked the colour real life, OK not my first pick, but I would happily leave as-is. The owner was a good guy and I should have got his details as an RSG candidate.
Glad to hear the purple 964 was a good car. We said for ages that it was strange how it hadnt moved.

Good move Buba. It will ruin your ownership experience. 10 or 11 years ago I entered my car for a laugh and came second overall to Sean Carnells black 930 on "age points". His car was a labour of love. I just drove mine from the paint shop keeping an eye on the rain! Became clear to me this was a bit of a "political" mine field. For me it was a laugh for some they took it really serious and were quite strong on the while thing...slip
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2015, 01:41 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations Paul. The car looked great!
Old 12-06-2015, 02:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Glad to hear the purple 964 was a good car. We said for ages that it was strange how it hadnt moved. Good move Buba. It will ruin your ownership experience. 10 or 11 years ago I entered my car for a laugh and came second overall to Sean Carnells black 930 on "age points". His car was a labour of love. I just drove mine from the paint shop keeping an eye on the rain! Became clear to me this was a bit of a "political" mine field. For me it was a laugh for some they took it really serious and were quite strong on the while thing...slip
Is that the amethyst C4 in Wellington? I suggested to Dan that it was an option to harvest its gearbox but Dan said there was a story, something about a UK fire in its past. Ultimately there is no good or bad car, just different costs to get each car to the best condition. They're all fixable and this may have had that done.

Interesting comments about politics in the club. Full marks for Paul getting involved and making things happen. You couldn't pay me enough to do it and he's a volunteer!
Old 12-06-2015, 02:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John as a Banker youll find the article below on the frothy car market in the US particularly concerning. 1031 exchanges, asset backed leveraging and auction house credit lines...sounds a little scary. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/05/jay-l...overdrive.html
That doesn't surprise me. Debt judiciously used (clear long term economic return) is the grease in the economic machine. This kind of story just reminds me of the GFC type debt, which is still out there. We all know what happened there. Owe nothing, and be happy with what you have is my mantra.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/074E65E2E6498ED080257DA20083CE48/$File/SYNTRAX%20UNIVERSAL%20PLUS%2075W-90_467192_2013-12.pdf

$25/litre, works for me 944.

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks, another data point. As the gearbox rebuilder supplied the Swepco I wasn't going to quibble. Next time I'd certainly like to save $100+. It will hopefully be some time away.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:44 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not the Wellington car, the other car. The Wellington car was a C4?
Old 12-06-2015, 03:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Not the Wellington car, the other car. The Wellington car was a C4?
Yes, the Wellington car was a C4.

Is this the one with the noisy DMF? I'm losing track.

With Herman almost finished I'm on the prowl for another coupe. Knowing my luck there will either be a listing drought or the market will jump $10k.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:58 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Macca - I really liked your car at this level of development.

I know you and I have differing views on 17 vs 18 inch rims, but I reckon you should convert the exterior look back to stock rims and bumpers and make it a sleeper........
Old 12-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^ Macca - I really liked your car at this level of development.

I know you and I have differing views on 17 vs 18 inch rims, but I reckon you should convert the exterior look back to stock rims and bumpers and make it a sleeper........
I think you are right Paul.

When it next comes time to paint the car it will be returned to 100% factory stock exterior.

I think id probably re install the rear seats backs and belts, remove the cage and install the factory front seats (like new) again at this time too. With 17" and shocks/sway bars softened up and the car raised (something looks wrong at RS height n 17") should make an acceptable road car with a nice lightweight drive train, 20th century suspension set up and 3.8L upgrade power plant making more modern torque.

I prefer 18s for the track work. There is a better selection of track rubber moving forward in this size. The 18 wheels I have now were always intended as light weight track wheels.

Im waiting for Doug to sell me back my old Cup 2 wheels :-)
Old 12-06-2015, 06:08 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
With Herman almost finished I'm on the prowl for another coupe. Knowing my luck there will either be a listing drought or the market will jump $10k.
John, I'm looking forward to Herman getting back together again soon too. Your current avatar has him looking more like Yorick.

Macca, I was thinking that "age points" were a bit unfair for Concourse, but then realised that someone could otherwise just have a new car factory delivered in an air cocoon each year.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
John, I'm looking forward to Herman getting back together again soon too. Your current avatar has him looking more like Yorick.

Macca, I was thinking that "age points" were a bit unfair for Concourse, but then realised that someone could otherwise just have a new car factory delivered in an air cocoon each year.
I don't have any complete photos right now. John K delivered the front bumper and side sills last night so I'm checking the fit of indicators etc and could post one of those but it's not the same as headlights in the body. A short wait now. Herman should be mobile by Saturday night
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

I think you are right Paul.

When it next comes time to paint the car it will be returned to 100% factory stock exterior.

I think id probably re install the rear seats backs and belts, remove the cage and install the factory front seats (like new) again at this time too. With 17" and shocks/sway bars softened up and the car raised (something looks wrong at RS height n 17") should make an acceptable road car with a nice lightweight drive train, 20th century suspension set up and 3.8L upgrade power plant making more modern torque.

I prefer 18s for the track work. There is a better selection of track rubber moving forward in this size. The 18 wheels I have now were always intended as light weight track wheels.

Im waiting for Doug to sell me back my old Cup 2 wheels :-)
Macca, I might be a vulture circling when you start the convert back to stock
Old 12-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Quote of the morning...

Taking my wife to the airport this morning... "tut, you can't put nail polish on when in a Porsche!"

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?