Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 07:39 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Think it's 10 there so 9.40 or so at mine?
Old 08-29-2015, 07:47 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Yes Powerflex. Have to say that longer term it would be better to go standard. The OEM rubber is super strong. It had held up well over the last 25 years.
The elephant racing ones Matt had installed in Lola were badly cracked after just a couple of years. Dean recommends power flex. Indestructible vs rubber or words to that effect.

Dean if you are lurking post some photos and an update please :-P
Old 08-29-2015, 08:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Think it's 10 there so 9.40 or so at mine?
Yes, but will text if wet.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:19 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This morning's Herald Drive gives the air-cooleds some gentle loving. Those of us tracking and spannering them are rather more hardcore about it of course. With Keith's background it would be great to see him at some meets maybe, in whatever capacity:

http://www.driven.co.nz/reviews/clas..._networkfooter

Pinned down at home this morning but enjoy Cars and Coffee guys.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks good John. I personally believe "Poly-bushes" wont last as long as the rubber OEM ones and need replacing every 4-5 years if the car is used hard.

I have the red Walord ones all the 993 guys ordered from RL around 5 years ago. They are a medium compound. I use the Proflex black for the front and rear sway bar bushes.

I think the issue is on very hard bumps (potholes) the nothalene is more likely to split than the rubber. I had the same truck on The Rock for 9 years. Two sets of shocks and 12 sets of lower shock bushes playing between nothalene and rubber to see which would last longer. Rubber lasted 2-3x as long. Nothalene worked better whilst it had integrity (firmer, less roll and noise etc). However it just needs one hard bang and it can split due to its composition and then its basically only doing 20% of the job. Rubber deforms and has more "memory" to recover and better elastometers to allow it to compress to much thinner before rebound.

So, with nothalene get used to have int these checked every 3-4 years and expect to replace on a semi regular basis. Im keeping one eye on mine during annual services as I suspect they will need doing at some stage. You can use a bearing cartridge in there too and its firmer but will wear faster still for a road car.

Its easy to clean those A arms up real nice once they are off the car too, just a cosmetic thing but once off worth doing for a little elbow grease if you are changing the bushes.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Looks good John. I personally believe "Poly-bushes" wont last as long as the rubber OEM ones and need replacing every 4-5 years if the car is used hard. I have the red Walord ones all the 993 guys ordered from RL around 5 years ago. They are a medium compound. I use the Proflex black for the front and rear sway bar bushes. I think the issue is on very hard bumps (potholes) the nothalene is more likely to split than the rubber. I had the same truck on The Rock for 9 years. Two sets of shocks and 12 sets of lower shock bushes playing between nothalene and rubber to see which would last longer. Rubber lasted 2-3x as long. Nothalene worked better whilst it had integrity (firmer, less roll and noise etc). However it just needs one hard bang and it can split due to its composition and then its basically only doing 20% of the job. Rubber deforms and has more "memory" to recover and better elastometers to allow it to compress to much thinner before rebound. So, with nothalene get used to have int these checked every 3-4 years and expect to replace on a semi regular basis. Im keeping one eye on mine during annual services as I suspect they will need doing at some stage. You can use a bearing cartridge in there too and its firmer but will wear faster still for a road car. Its easy to clean those A arms up real nice once they are off the car too, just a cosmetic thing but once off worth doing for a little elbow grease if you are changing the bushes.
The original rubber is a bear to cut. Not cleaning the arms past getting dirt off them. The cosmoline and '90 manufacture date are badges of originality
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2015, 10:41 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hope the seller's wife has a sense of humour... check the photos...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-941467980.htm
Old 08-30-2015, 12:18 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

You gotta wonder if it was intentional or accidental ending up in the listing?

Unlike this seller... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...member=4882176
Old 08-30-2015, 12:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha Ha - I think he has cut and pasted from his personal p*rn folder instead of his Porsche p*rn folder??
Old 08-30-2015, 12:31 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

JMc - A man in his 'happy place'.............
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2015, 12:47 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More tasteful than it could've been. Maybe some resentment showing and not ready to break up with the Cayenne?

"wife has bought new car its got to go "
Old 08-30-2015, 01:12 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
More tasteful than it could've been. Maybe some resentment showing and not ready to break up with the Cayenne?

"wife has bought new car its got to go "
Certainly ambiguous as to what 'would consider trade also' means...
Old 08-30-2015, 03:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As always first to you guys before TM this week.

MacBook Air 13"
Mid 2013
i7 processor Haswell
8gb Ram
512gb SSD
Mint condition
Includes Parallels and runs 2 operating systems. Loaded with office and tonnes of software

This was a top of the range custom built machine I ordered from Apple. Didn't get on with it so I went back to Microsoft and it was unused till started using it last year. She doesn't like Mac either so it's being sold to fund a Microsoft replacement.

$1750

Available from 08 Sept when we are in NZ. PM me if you are interested.....
Old 08-30-2015, 04:16 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
You gotta wonder if it was intentional or accidental ending up in the listing?

Unlike this seller... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...member=4882176
Don't see a ring on her finger so the wife may need more than a sense of humour...

Or maybe that is what he means by driver assist?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
JMc - A man in his 'happy place'.............
Control arms bushes all sorted and I hope won't require an alignment as I marked the eccentric cam positions before removing the arms. Not sure I'd rush to do it again with original arms as the large bush is a bear to remove. With replacement of after market bushes I reckon I'd need an hour to do both sides.

Next on the list was the right hand side sill rubber and shark fin. A no brainer.

Dan should open the gearbox this week. Pucker moment as we see what needs to be replaced. I'll also start on the bumper that offends Dave so much.

In two weeks or so i'lł start on the real fun stuff: valve adjust, CV repack, wide band O2 sensor, rear main seal etc.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?