Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 07:16 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
The manufacture date is 5/11. Too old?
To old if you want to set a 964 lap record but not old enough if you want to have a bit of fun!
(10 year old roadies allow progressive oversteer at safer speeds, and a big smile factor)
Old 10-25-2015, 07:50 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

$550 for the pair ???
Old 10-25-2015, 07:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

$550 for the pair ???
They would have cost $700 ~ $750 brand new. It's a decision only you can make.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:12 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Very true. For a couple of hundy extra i'm inclined to go for a more recent and matched set. I'll call Megatyre tomorrow for a quote. Thanks everyone
Old 10-25-2015, 08:34 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mikey. Thats interesting and I may have to look at that issue more closely. The RS uprights are factory OEM wheel carrier with improved pick up points and a tie rod of similar dimension to standard but with an angled head also OEM. The OEM part numbers relate to 993 of RS, Cup & GT2 origination. The parts do not alter geometry on a standard C2 chassis but rather restore factory tie rod angle perpendicular t ground on a lowered chassis of RS height or lower (such as mine at RS height). If not used then the factory fit tie rod and carrier cause a non parallel tie rod angle static. This causes bump steer issues under load. Strictly only a niche expert would be able to identify these are fitted to the car. The do not so much allow the height achieved but rather allow it within original factory tie-rod to carrier geometry specs....
Macca, good points but let me play devil's advocate here:
  • the wheel carriers were not available as an option on your car therefore you can't prove that they are a factory developed suspension package.
    "Package" is the key here.
  • The wheel carriers do affect geometry. If you fill out the sheet of dimensions for "scratch-built suspension" available from the LVVTA website, you have to use different numbers for the RS carriers.
    Put another way: if they don't affect geometry, then what the hell DO they do?
  • The RS carriers change the RC height if adjusted to standard ride height, as defined by the factory specs for your car.
  • If you fit the RS carriers and DON'T change springs/shocks, this potentially puts you in danger of wheel rub.
    This is one reason for certification of drop spindles, as full range of articulation has to be re-checked.

The fact that they're factory parts and bolt straight in makes certification easier (pretty much a rubber stamp in your case) but doesn't remove the need for certification.

TUV take a similar view and I get the feeling that TUV requirements are reviewed before the LVVTA make any changes to the regs.
I strongly suspect that this (TUV) has guided the Porsche options, in particular M471/M030. You would have a good case if these were M030 parts, but you're at the next level.

The regs are written to catch the idiots, not people like you.
Good point that only a marque expert would pick this up. Guess the big question is: can you think of a plausible situation where a marque expert would be asked to validate your car? That's probably the litmus test.

I'm going through all this with my next front suspension upgrade. Drop spindles, big brakes, all OE parts. Just not OE Porsche...

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by mikey_audiogeek; 10-25-2015 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typo typo typo
Old 10-25-2015, 08:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi mike. Thanks for the insight. You bring up valid points. Glad I posted here as the RS uprights were something I had never contemplated as an issue...I will look into getting LVVC for the vehicle when I'm back. Lordy help the poor bugger who gets my LVVC for $400. They are going to need a big sheet of alloy to stamp it all on as Walt says!!
Old 10-25-2015, 08:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Very true. For a couple of hundy extra i'm inclined to go for a more recent and matched set. I'll call Megatyre tomorrow for a quote. Thanks everyone
Brian is great to deal with. The touch less tyre changer is worth using him alone.

https://youtu.be/6UTGGzdD1zY
Old 10-25-2015, 09:02 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

No worries Macca. With a bit of luck you can get your engine spec changed on the plate, like I did!
Mine's now an inline 6, what would you like? V10?

Cheers, Mike
Old 10-25-2015, 09:13 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi mike. Thanks for the insight. You bring up valid points. Glad I posted here as the RS uprights were something I had never contemplated as an issue...I will look into getting LVVC for the vehicle when I'm back. Lordy help the poor bugger who gets my LVVC for $400. They are going to need a big sheet of alloy to stamp it all on as Walt says!!
Macca, just another thought:
Might be worth having a "hypothetical" discussion with a certifier or the LVVTA.
There are a few cul-de-sacs in the regs and it's important to start from the right place.

Justin Hansen at LVVTA could be worth talking to: http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/s...Certification&

Cheers, Mike
Old 10-25-2015, 10:33 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Targa New Zealand 2015

Best of luck to Graeme & Kim + Mark & Glenn who've just started their Targa competition, plus any other RSGers/Rennlisters out there.

Macca, think you're right that they may be missing the Porsche crowd on the Targa Tour front -just 14 tourists in total, of which only 3 Porsches including Ron and Patsy's.

Hopefully Tour leader Gerry's 635i engine holds up better this time and the stages run at a consistently decent pace without the repeated slow downs. As Gerry's in it, I'm presuming he's leading again but maybe Ron or Patsy can confirm. I reckon a quick-slow-quick-slow-quick-slow-quick stage is not only more frustrating but also more dangerous than just keeping people in the groove. Bad enough with the 160kph Tour limit already.

The speed restrictions are 40kph less onerous in the competition itself of course, and there's a good field of 69 cars there.

Regardless of competition status, wishing everyone out there on Targa NZ good speed and lots of fun.

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-25-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:18 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a check quote from Gillies too. I found them to be cheaper??
Old 10-25-2015, 11:20 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Brian is great to deal with. The touch less tyre changer is worth using him alone.

https://youtu.be/6UTGGzdD1zY
^^^ Yes - but you need to drive to Browns Bay and set aside all of Saturday morning as the touchless device to slooooow.

Brian is a top man, just saying plan to do some shopping in Browns Bay or to have the Missus drop you off coz it isn't a quick process.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:23 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Best of luck to Graeme & Kim + Mark & Glenn who've just started their Targa competition, plus any other RSGers/Rennlisters out there.

Macca, think you're right that they may be missing the Porsche crowd on the Targa Tour front -just 14 tourists in total, of which only 3 Porsches including Ron and Patsy's.

Hopefully Tour leader Gerry's 635i engine holds up better this time and the stages run at a consistently decent pace without the repeated slow downs. As Gerry's in it, I'm presuming he's leading again but maybe Ron or Patsy can confirm. I reckon a quick-slow-quick-slow-quick-slow-quick stage is not only more frustrating but also more dangerous than just keeping people in the groove. Bad enough with the 160kph Tour limit already.

The speed restrictions are 40kph less onerous in the competition itself of course, and there's a good field of 69 cars there.

Regardless of competition status, wishing everyone out there on Targa NZ good speed and lots of fun.
Having only 14 cars might make it quite good? - being not too many??

I thought Peter M said he was getting a new tour leader and faster car with better corner speed etc?

The big drop in numbers must hurt (dropping 10 people is dropping $50K off the bottom line??)

Last edited by kiwi 911; 10-25-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:05 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Get a check quote from Gillies too. I found them to be cheaper??
Nice one. Thanks Paul. I'll call them too

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^ Yes - but you need to drive to Browns Bay and set aside all of Saturday morning as the touchless device to slooooow.

Brian is a top man, just saying plan to do some shopping in Browns Bay or to have the Missus drop you off coz it isn't a quick process.
I'm on the shore anyway so relatively accessible.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:14 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Sounds like Peter M did listen:

I am told Devon is the tour leader in a new Aston Martin (Devon was the guy who took Walter and Doug on a special catch up stage tour).

Driving a bone stock Mazda 6 he had Walter at 10/10's and left Doug for dead in the boxster - this guy could seriously drive - I was seriously impressed........

Will be interesting to get Ron and Patsy's feedback - might be the best tour ever with only 14 cars and this guy driving??

Last edited by kiwi 911; 10-26-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?