Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:54 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
That's interesting John. I wondered why you took quite a different (wider?) line in that turn. It seems characteristic of a AWD car in that following Chris B (momentarily!) on SITT I noted he also took a number of corners in a similar fashion...
Mine is primarily driven by the 996tt being a tippo. I've had to learn a whole different driving style for that car which is quite unorthodox when it comes to corners.

In terms of the photos comparing other cars to where John went off, if you look at the cars in relation to the ripple strip you will see they were in a different place in the corner. Its pretty common for cars to lift a wheel going around that corner.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:55 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I haven't played with the alignment... It's still set to how you had it setup.
For running on track with sticky tyres, it really needs a more aggressive alignment to make the most of the tyres. I can't remember what it was set to, but it was very mild from memory (probably 964RS factory alignment). Go with at least -2.5 degrees camber up front and around -2.0 rear, and whatever toe Peter Alder thinks is good for those cars. Try that with the dampers set at the compression/rebound settings recommended in the KW manual and work from there. Can go even more aggressive, but as always it's a balance of road handling vs track with these things.

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Thanks Macca. From memory my roll bars have two settings and I think they're set on the soft setting.
Yep. H&R bars, two settings front and rear, both were set on soft. From memory, it felt like too much bar for the rest of the setup, but that was with road tyres and a very mild alignment. Would be interesting to see how it felt on stickier tyres. You've still got the factory ARBs if you want to go softer, otherwise the more expensive 964RS ARBs have more adjustment range.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

All these easy seconds and Lola will be running with Paul. I need a new plan
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2014, 05:07 AM
mjg
Pro

The only easy seconds are those raced from the bench, where every tweak is a theoretical 0.5-1s.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:10 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by mjg
For running on track with sticky tyres, it really needs a more aggressive alignment to make the most of the tyres. I can't remember what it was set to, but it was very mild from memory (probably 964RS factory alignment). Go with at least -2.5 degrees camber up front and around -2.0 rear, and whatever toe Peter Alder thinks is good for those cars. Try that with the dampers set at the compression/rebound settings recommended in the KW manual and work from there. Can go even more aggressive, but as always it's a balance of road handling vs track with these things. Yep. H&R bars, two settings front and rear, both were set on soft. From memory, it felt like too much bar for the rest of the setup, but that was with road tyres and a very mild alignment. Would be interesting to see how it felt on stickier tyres. You've still got the factory ARBs if you want to go softer, otherwise the more expensive 964RS ARBs have more adjustment range.
Thanks Matt.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:12 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

What does the crew say to an RSG Playday on 19 July? Macca, you in town then?
Old 06-17-2014, 05:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Bugger, I'll be travelling back from Tonga that day.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:34 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Dan and I have a deal that we'll only start looking to take weight out once I'm in the 16's. Nice to have that up the sleeve. When you compare mine and Chris's engine bays you can see just how much crap I still have left - plus the electric windows and the underside of the dash. Probably a whole load of electrics, unnecessary slider for the seat, the list goes on.

So Paul - next time I'm coming for you - Herman and Lola style!
I sense a Lola v Herman battle coming on between you and I! The lap times you did last weekend with all the weight you have in the car and no ecu chip (less hp) were very good.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

On the off chance anyone on the board is chasing the Trademe GT3.

I mentioned the car to Dean and he said that he'd heard the seller passed away on Saturday (the day Simon and I looked at the car). I found it strange considering the seller seemed normal, however now there is an obituary confirming that he did pass away. Not sure who is answering questions on the ad, but the seller told us he owned the car. Seems shallow to think about this right now but I know one board visitor was chasing up a PPI so I thought I'd pass on the info.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:44 AM
mjg
Pro

I need to get in to a 944 so I can join in on this (from the back)!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:50 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mjg
I need to get in to a 944 so I can join in on this (from the back)!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:55 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
On the off chance anyone on the board is chasing the Trademe GT3.

I mentioned the car to Dean and he said that he'd heard the seller passed away on Saturday (the day Simon and I looked at the car). I found it strange considering the seller seemed normal, however now there is an obituary confirming that he did pass away. Not sure who is answering questions on the ad, but the seller told us he owned the car. Seems shallow to think about this right now but I know one board visitor was chasing up a PPI so I thought I'd pass on the info.
Poor guy.

Based on the cell# provided in the last question, the answers are coming from a sales person from the owner's car company.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:59 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I'm in
Old 06-17-2014, 06:08 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like fun.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pete that would be grand. I will check with Dean that I can run the gearbox in on the track but I don't anticipate that will be an issue and it will be a great way to shake down all the recent work before the NITT. Count me in! :-)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?