Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 04:59 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
had some footage from yesterday but didn't upload. too tired by the time I had cleared emails, and made a few posts and had dinner. Mistake arriving only 1 day before the course. So not synced to the timezone and getting no more than 4 hrs continuous sleep, then on/off rest of the night.

But today for some unknown reason not working. Couldn't be bothered stuffing around with the cam as was wasting driving time.
Got some hand held IPhone vid but not great quality. Sorry lads
Thanks for posting the updates, it sounds like a great experience and one to add to my bucket list. Would be cool to video, but I feel your pain with making the camera gear work when you're already pressed for time...
Old 01-20-2015, 05:12 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
The R would have to be in the 13s to live with older GT3s. Or a 991 GT3, for that matter.
Matt, in fairness to the 991 GT3 and Cayamn R, Nigel and you have highly modified cars now to achieve 13's. From memory both Nigel and yourself started out doing 15/16's with your cars in stock trim.

Also - I don't think John really cares - the Cayman R is faster and safer than Herman to drive and I'm sure he will be a happy camper........
Old 01-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt. A basically stock 996 GT3 can be a quick car when pedalled correctly as Nigel C has demonstrated at HD. Not as fast as a 991 GT3 of course because apparently they should be good for 1.09 as Kev (Etches) was telling me on Saturday at the Festival (LOL!).

Regardless, Im really keen to see that car out there in Johns hands. John, you sure you cant pull a sickie on the 28th? The Monday (27) is a bank holiday - cant you finish your report then? Heck Ill give you a hand with the numbers if you like and write the closing comments ;-)

Endless make some good fluid too. I looked at going that way but decided to stick with the Castrol (SRF) stuff everyone else talks about as there's always some spare laying around on SITT & NITT which is great and CCS stock it useful during services. Keeping it simple is worth more than a few $$ for me.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Matt, in fairness to the 991 GT3 and Cayamn R, Nigel and you have highly modified cars now to achieve 13's. From memory both Nigel and yourself started out doing 15/16's with your cars in stock trim.

Also - I don't think John really cares - the Cayman R is faster and safer than Herman to drive and I'm sure he will be a happy camper........
Matts car was never anywhere near stock trim IIRC. Nigels was and your memory serves you well. 15s for a stock car pedalled well by someone familiar with the track but not an expert would be my money.

Matt why dont you join us on the 28th? It would be good to put a name to the face again - its been too long!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:29 PM
mjg
Pro

Almost all of the mods are for longevity under track conditions, not lap times. And what does quoting times of Nigel/my first couple of times on track in a new car (and in my case, on 7 year old heat cycled rubber) achieve?

I've said this before and I'll say it again. It's pointless talking about how one car is faster or slower than another when they are running different setups and different drivers. A car's only good for whatever time you can put down in it, nothing more. Anything else is bench racing/spec masturbation and therefore pretty pointless. I don't even understand the obsession with times on this forum, most of the days people are attending aren't even supposed to be timed and even on the days that are timed the prizes aren't going to cover the costs of repairs after you stuff your car into a wall or lunch the engine/gearbox. Isn't RSG supposed to be about having fun driving and improving your skills?

Originally Posted by Macca
Matt. A basically stock 996 GT3 can be a quick car when pedalled correctly as Nigel C has demonstrated at HD. Not as fast as a 991 GT3 of course because apparently they should be good for 1.09 as Kev (Etches) was telling me on Saturday at the Festival (LOL!).
You'd certainly hope 15 years of chassis improvements, 100+hp, super-fast electronic diff and gearbox and driving aids would make for a faster car!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:33 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jake if your still looking for a summer cruiser here's a nice air-cooled machine to provide antithesis to the Turbo..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-831546019.htm
Old 01-20-2015, 05:52 PM
PHG
Racer

Phil. Its $225 for the day. Will be a big BBQ afterwards. I noticed you are not an RSG member (of did I miss something)? Whats up with that - youve been to more playdays events than me! Time to sign up with Pete mate and get on our little private forum and join us on the 28 April mate to watch the summer sun go down with a cold one after a great afternoon on the track....
I thought I sent some money to Pete forever ago.. maybe he can enlighten things..If not, than I shall revisit the issue..$100 bucks as I recall
Old 01-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Don't be so so miserable Matt. Quite a few of us put a lot into RSG to make it what it is. Haven't heard a single porsche lap time discussed on here from the 13th session either (integra aside). If you don't want to participate that's your own choice but there's plenty of camaraderie, fun, social stuff and friendships out there going on every day with the RSG like Petes heroic wheel delivery trip on Sunday. You sound a bit serious on the numbers yourself. clearly you think the 991 GT3 is a POS - you've never disguised your contempt very well - I don't think you have driven one yet - and obviously the 996 GT3 is for hairy chested men which is obviously why I sold mine years ago and got a vagina!

Keep Calm - Its not all about the facts, they get in the way of a good story!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
I thought I sent some money to Pete forever ago.. maybe he can enlighten things..If not, than I shall revisit the issue..$100 bucks as I recall
Right you are Phil. Pete & I will look into it - may just be you never registered on the site that's all? Regardless you are an RSGer and I'm happy to log you in for the 28th myself now as a placeholder if that's cool with you? You will be number 20 so it's been well received - I've opened it up for 25 so hopefully John can get his homework done in time and join us and I think there are a few new folk like Pcarplayer who would like to join us which is great....
Old 01-20-2015, 06:04 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be so so miserable Matt. Quite a few of us put a lot into RSG to make it what it is. Haven't heard a single porsche lap time discussed on here from the 13th session either (integra aside). If you don't want to participate that's your own choice but there's plenty of camaraderie, fun, social stuff and friendships out there going on every day with the RSG like Petes heroic wheel delivery trip on Sunday. You sound a bit serious on the numbers yourself. clearly you think the 991 GT3 is a POS - you've never disguised your contempt very well - I don't think you have driven one yet - and obviously the 996 GT3 is for hairy chested men which is obviously why I sold mine years ago and got a vagina!

Keep Calm - Its not all about the facts, they get in the way of a good story!
What's POS - is this some fancy Pcar system?

Matt - I think we talk lap times as this is the measure of self improvement and car improvement, whether it be a sub 1.20 for the 964 boys, or me trying to go faster than Macca, who has the better car, for bragging rights.

It's all a giggle - we are all supportive of one another.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:10 PM
PHG
Racer

You are quite right Matt, but IIRC (quote, Macca) fun masturbation and skill improvement was never pointless.
I do agree that times in all our different cars are not relevant, but as my Dad always said .. 'its not a race .. until some bastard passes me'. The BB/Grinch thing is the great leveller for the guys and has worked well, but even that has evolved into full on racing now, with a 3 car fleet.
This is a wallet contact sport, (and the occasional wall) and the $$s' spent on these members cars, and the evolution in ownership makes it all fun. Irrelevant and/or inaccurate pissing contests are part of it.
Sorry,I'm between boat sales and got too much time on my hands.!!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:11 PM
PHG
Racer

You are quite right Matt, but IIRC (quote, Macca) fun masturbation and skill improvement was never pointless.
I do agree that times in all our different cars are not relevant, but as my Dad always said .. 'its not a race .. until some bastard passes me'. The BB/Grinch thing is the great leveller for the guys and has worked well, but even that has evolved into full on racing now, with a 3 car fleet.
This is a wallet contact sport, (and the occasional wall) and the $$s' spent on these members cars, and the evolution in ownership makes it all fun. Irrelevant and/or inaccurate pissing contests are part of it.
Sorry,I'm between boat sales and got too much time on my hands.!!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

What's POS - is this some fancy Pcar system?

Matt - I think we talk lap times as this is the measure of self improvement and car improvement, whether it be a sub 1.20 for the 964 boys, or me trying to go faster than Macca, who has the better car, for bragging rights.

It's all a giggle - we are all supportive of one another.
Who knows. Ask Dario Franchitti.

Phil sums it up perfectly. Gilbert wisdom is hard won and mostly right. The sandpit gets a bit dirty from time to time but everyone helps out when it needs cleaning.

Theres no possible way to accurately compare our skills as drivers out there with the huge variances in hardware and experience between members. BB is the only device that gets close to providing a level playing field where the talented and/or experienced can jostle for top of leader board.

If it makes it any easier, so everyone feels at ease, let me just say that perhaps barring one or two new comers yet to test their mettle there are no "driving gods" in this group IMO. There are some better than others, some more experienced than others and some that learn quicker than others but otherwise none of us a truly gifted peddlers (or else we probably wouldnt be in RSG LOL!).

As you were....
Old 01-20-2015, 06:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Jeez, I go offline for a few hours and it's all on.

Macca, I took your suggestion to my boss and it's agreed. I will work on ANZAC Day and take the 28th in lieu.

Now the difficult choices over what to take. The R has to be there, but so does Herman as by that stage I hope to have him sorted on the dyno. Paul might need a ride down. No doubt the R might tempt him

As for the R performance envelope, I have no doubt I won't test the boundaries anytime soon and it will flatter my abilities so I'm not entering into fighting talk there. After seeing what modern cars do I think there is a place and time for all vehicles.

Last edited by John McM; 01-20-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Fantastic. GAME ON!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?