Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Curious, limited converts to date?
It's an expensive business so the recruiting pool is shallow. Just looking at the RSG 2k cup racers, aside from Neil, I don't see anyone having the domestic credits, time and/or inclination to spend what it takes. Absolutelty no doubt a cut above pedalling Integras, but it's 2k cup or bench racing for me and I suspect the same for others. That said, I'm watching Chris B's Cayman progress with interest as a road legal racing Cayman holds a lot of appeal. If I ever buy another non road registered car, then shoot me.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:36 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Michael N set a 1:15 (I think?) something with me in the car at last year's sprints. Was a 964 cup car on stickies however...
Yeah, and Razzo has done 13's in his.

Mind you the 900HP 993 GT2 of Connel's can circulate in sub 1.10's.

Jake - we are talking about road registered cars, as this is what the guys on this site mostly have and take to the track.

So the question is what can a road going 964 do? Sean's road registered race car has the 64 known record of around 1.16.

I think Pete's C4 64 has the the C4 record of a low 19 in stock trim expect sticky tyres and minor suspension mod's.

Talking to Razzo, A nicely set up 64 C2 should do mid 17's in a nice road trim and sticky tyres, but Dougie has not actually done a recorded one yet??
Old 07-22-2015, 10:36 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
the very cheapest option is to drive what you have within its capabilities and enjoy yourself.
True dat!!!

Originally Posted by nzskater
Michael N set a 1:15 (I think?) something with me in the car at last year's sprints. Was a 964 cup car on stickies however...
Ahh, but can it be legally driven on the road and driven over sleeping policemen?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:52 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
True dat!!!

Ahh, but can it be legally driven on the road and driven over sleeping policemen?
No - they don't come with indicators or handbrakes for starters.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Nice one let me know when you want to pull the trigger. I have a board which i use on mine. Not much too it really just a piece i had left over from another job trimmed to suit. Honestly, there is no weight to the front end.

There's a real satisfaction from fixing something yourself and that is not financially motivated. As long as the conditions are right. Particularly having room to work on the car and put things away in and orderly fashion. Nothing worse than having store take off parts in the area you are actually working in. I don't know how Rob in the 964 forum managed what he did in his tiny garage
Finally got off the fence and made a purchase. No lift or hoist for me as I can't see the absolute need when the ceiling height restricted options don't allow me to stand under the car anyway. Instead I bought an AC jack http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=922086740 which should easily lift Herman onto the ESCO stands. That should give me 21" max of work room under the car. Enough to scoot under there on a trolley.

BTW: The NZD movement is making a lot of imported goods cheaper to buy locally. This jack would be $850 from Pelican Parts before freight, customs and GST. Sulco knocked $100 off the Trademe price so it's barely $100 more to buy locally, albeit it's still an expensive piece of kit. Then again so is Herman.

I'd like to keep the Trackday on the 15th as an option for Herman so it looks like soon after that I'll start dropping the engine and box.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately Jake as Paul says Cup cars dont count. 1.15s is well well within their means on slicks. Steves record in his 964 to Cup car spec (probably lighter?) is 1.13.3 IIRC. Bent sprints last year winter.

Seans is teh closest in a registerable format (just as teh racing PUK clutch takes some mastering and is VERY tricky in traffic). IIRC 1.16.31 at HD on R comps (not slicks).

I believe Steve Rs assessement is right. Well set up and driven 17s should be achieveable in a 964 roadie. Needs the suspension mods similar to what Paul and I have done in the 993 to get it there.

None of our group have cracked a 19 in a road 964 at HD (other than Sean as said). Peter H is the closest and as said the car was only lightly modified a testament to his good wheelmanship I suspect.

Remember too what we are talking about are PB times. All the planets need aligning, cool day, low traffic run, car set up nicely and driver on their game.

The Sprints had the advantage of adding a final butvery effective element - COMPETITION. IMO you dont drive your hradest till you have someone to chase or fend off.

I know my fastest laps in the 993 have always been in the heat of battle. At Manfield it was chasing Steve in the little RS or at Levels chasing him in the CarreraS. At Teretonga it was chasing Steve again and Chris B in the 996TT (that was futile ha ha). At Taupo I had no one to chase on the only dry track day Ive done there and have never really set a PB. Ruapuna was being chased by Paul and later in the daycagain chasing Steve and Chris (pattern emerging here). At HD only two days Ive done in 993 I was chasing Paul in one of them. With the GT3 best lap at HD was being chased by Neil whilst chasing Richard S.

You get my point. The cheapest way to go fast is to drive better and chase someone quicker than you (not by too much) LOL! The GT3 can make for fast laps but they are often lonely ones unless you enter the track right behind someone with a similarly quick car. I find I dont try so hard any more when driving the GT3. The 993 was packed in with 993 and 964 etc and made for a more exciting drive from a competition perspective. Unfortunately along with competition comes red mist which can lead to poor judgement and gearbox/engine damage or panel reshaping ;-P
Old 07-22-2015, 11:52 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

That barrow has been pushed so much it needs its wheel bearings checked
Go on and head back over to Pistonheads with that lip!!

Originally Posted by Macca
Curious, limited converts to date?
Think we have 1 or 2 new ones for 2015/16. Paul may confirm?

We've had all the cost arguments already but I'll keep putting it out there that it had me hooked on the first drive and it's only got better since. That's what we're here for right - they are just bloody fantastic cars to fang round the track - and as road warriors too!

There are a few guys who have driven mine (and with apologies to Michael...) they all get out with a smile on their faces.

Entry cost is a fraction of a GT3. 2kcup is a lot cheaper and Cup car racing a whole different league higher - fills a great place for me. 6-7 race weekends a year plus enduros is not out of order.

Go on Pel - do it!!
Old 07-23-2015, 12:26 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

True dat!!!Ahh, but can it be legally driven on the road and driven over sleeping policemen?
From what I understand it may have been certified and registered recently...
Old 07-23-2015, 03:36 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Fun times ahead. Now to get the rims.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2015, 03:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Update for RSG 2k cup racers on the RSG site. Long story short is that BB2 is getting a new clutch. Going to look for a normal shifter as well.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:40 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Finally got off the fence and made a purchase. No lift or hoist for me as I can't see the absolute need when the ceiling height restricted options don't allow me to stand under the car anyway. Instead I bought an AC jack http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=922086740 which should easily lift Herman onto the ESCO stands. That should give me 21" max of work room under the car. Enough to scoot under there on a trolley.

BTW: The NZD movement is making a lot of imported goods cheaper to buy locally. This jack would be $850 from Pelican Parts before freight, customs and GST. Sulco knocked $100 off the Trademe price so it's barely $100 more to buy locally, albeit it's still an expensive piece of kit. Then again so is Herman.

I'd like to keep the Trackday on the 15th as an option for Herman so it looks like soon after that I'll start dropping the engine and box.
Well done. I'm still keen to lend a hand even its its just to go fetch. Like i said the learning experience will be fun. The more i learn about these cars the more i enjoy them.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:56 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yeah, and Razzo has done 13's in his. Mind you the 900HP 993 GT2 of Connel's can circulate in sub 1.10's. Jake - we are talking about road registered cars, as this is what the guys on this site mostly have and take to the track. So the question is what can a road going 964 do? Sean's road registered race car has the 64 known record of around 1.16. I think Pete's C4 64 has the the C4 record of a low 19 in stock trim expect sticky tyres and minor suspension mod's. Talking to Razzo, A nicely set up 64 C2 should do mid 17's in a nice road trim and sticky tyres, but Dougie has not actually done a recorded one yet??
Maybe I'll change but I've been driving Lola much more conservatively to prevent excessive engine / gbox wear. She's heading towards 200k over the next few years ( I guess I've clocked ~15k in my 18 months of ownership). I enjoy a light fang of course but setting records doesn't interest me [yet]
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2015, 04:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Maybe I'll change but I've been driving Lola much more conservatively to prevent excessive engine / gbox wear. She's heading towards 200k over the next few years ( I guess I've clocked ~15k in my 18 months of ownership). I enjoy a light fang of course but setting records doesn't interest me [yet]
If I recall Doug, Lola was extremely close to breaking 1.20 the last time you tried.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:28 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Yes, I'm trying to remember when that was. Must have been pre-August last year some time
Old 07-23-2015, 04:33 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Yes, I'm trying to remember when that was. Must have been pre-August last year some time
I got one fast lap on YouTube. Predictive laps on the AIM is cruel when you see 1.19.xx and cross at 1.20.007. I later did a sub 1.20.00 but don't have footage, just the trace.

Last edited by John McM; 07-23-2015 at 05:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?