Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Seems like a logical plan John. The G50 brass synchros arent expensive. The cost comes if there has been big damage to the teeth on a gear set. I only just managed to escape this cost. If course there are plenty of little things worth doing while you are in there like replacing the reverse lock out spring and pin and also replacing the selector forks if they show wear at these Kms which one assumes they will. Then there are the usual gaskets etc. Ideally you need a clean environment with steel bench to lay everything out, gear pullers and associated tools, an engine stand or bench brace to mount the gearbox and a place to put the car without its engine/gearbox while its all coming together. Definately not a simple DYI but after your Honda rebuilding excercise you may have the experience and space to tackle it...
You're correct. Synchros are ~ $180 each.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:11 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, you've mentioned you might drop your engine if you do the gearbox. I'd be keen to lend a hand if you need it as the experience would be great should i decide to do it myself one day. I'm mostly mechanically challenged but keen to learn more
Old 07-19-2015, 11:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
John, you've mentioned you might drop your engine if you do the gearbox. I'd be keen to lend a hand if you need it as the experience would be great should i decide to do it myself one day. I'm mostly mechanically challenged but keen to learn more
Warwick, I likely will drop the engine in August and you are welcome to help.

I'm going to do the Integra gearbox and clutch first as it needs to be ready to race in late September. I'll start that tonight. Once that's back out on the car pad I can start on Herman with plenty of room to work in. I have the Esco stands. What I need to do first is make the front board so I can lift the car "Cactus" style. I'm also seriously looking at a quality jack that's wide, stable and has a very high capacity.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM

I'm going to do the Integra gearbox and clutch first as it needs to be ready to race in late September. I'll start that tonight. Once that's back out on the car pad I can start on Herman with plenty of room to work in. I have the Esco stands. What I need to do first is make the front board so I can lift the car "Cactus" style. I'm also seriously looking at a quality jack that's wide, stable and has a very high capacity.
Make sure its a tissue free zone John ;-)
Old 07-20-2015, 12:48 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha Ha - I was tempted, but bit my lip.............

Just give to CCS and save yourself the pain...........
Old 07-20-2015, 12:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Slow and steady is the mantra. I'll also take full charge. In (small) part the tissue incident happened because the mechanic doing the house visit didn't have sight of the working area. He fitted the oil line without jacking the car up or even taking off the wheel. He was therefore unable to view the pipe ends. Big boy pants etc and I paid up. It also led to catching a slew of issues that would've nickel and dimed me over the following year so all's well that ends well.

Since then I've fitted front suspension, changed out alternator bushes, done engine mounts, fitted the engine management kit, including injector change and am ready for bigger challenges. The clutch and transmission work on the Integra is the entry ticket for me. If I can change the synchros on one one box I can drop an engine and gearbox on a 911. It also sets me up for a lifetime of independence in maintaining an old air cooled car. All good.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:03 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Ha Ha - I was tempted, but bit my lip.............

Just give to CCS and save yourself the pain...........
It's not painful for me. It's learning and expanding my capabilities. Fear of failure isn't going to hold me back. Gib stopping and painting is a pain, as is tiling etc. I've got one lot of that to do on the upstairs room, then leaving the bathroom and kitchen to the pros. That's enough labour bills for this quarter.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:21 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not painful for me. It's learning and expanding my capabilities. Fear of failure isn't going to hold me back. Gib stopping and painting is a pain, as is tiling etc. I've got one lot of that to do on the upstairs room, then leaving the bathroom and kitchen to the pros. That's enough labour bills for this quarter.
Stop being a tight-**** and employ tradesmen. They will do a better quality job that willl reflect in the quality of the house.

Edit: I couldn't really fault the outside painting though? House is looking good with black and white theme.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:28 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Side note from all the track talk folks and back on GT3s, if anyone knows anyone looking for some centre-lock wheels for their 997 GT3 (possibly GTS also?) put them in touch as we have a set of OZ Racing wheels (wheels only, no tyres) we will probably never use.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:39 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Nice one let me know when you want to pull the trigger. I have a board which i use on mine. Not much too it really just a piece i had left over from another job trimmed to suit. Honestly, there is no weight to the front end.

There's a real satisfaction from fixing something yourself and that is not financially motivated. As long as the conditions are right. Particularly having room to work on the car and put things away in and orderly fashion. Nothing worse than having store take off parts in the area you are actually working in. I don't know how Rob in the 964 forum managed what he did in his tiny garage
Old 07-20-2015, 01:43 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Hey John,

The Esco stands, is there a NZ retailer for them?

S
Old 07-20-2015, 01:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes
Hey John,

S
I bought mine through Pelican and paid through the nose to get them here. Meanwhile Warwick? arranged a local supplier to import them. A number here got relative bargains. It's probably about 500 pages back. I'll have a search.

Edit: Warwick posted reciept of some on page 1183....670 pages ago. Maybe PM him.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Stop being a tight-**** and employ tradesmen. They will do a better quality job that willl reflect in the quality of the house.

Edit: I couldn't really fault the outside painting though? House is looking good with black and white theme.
Not worth employing trademen for the small jobs. It's just gib stopping around some new skylights. This Summer will see the last push on renovations and I can sit back, or not as the case may be. It depends on how rough you are on the race cars.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:41 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

I've seen these before in Japan but its the first one I've seen in NZ. Mazda RX7 with 993 headlight conversion http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=920537617
Old 07-20-2015, 04:09 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spokes
Hey John,

S
Try http://www.patchrubber.co.nz/ they bought us in a batch as part of a group buy. They may have some left

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?