Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:18 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
If the ramp angles on the 6.2 GT3 are already 40/60 then you wont need Guards billet ramps (there are probably more useful for later GT3 owners). But these are nice to have as they also have a second set of ramp angles design into them (more aggressive and suited for a track only car) so you can choose downstream for more/less lock out if you require. The ramps are very reasonably priced IIRC ($500?) and if I were upgrading the clutch pack I would consider them as they allow flexibility for the future at marginal additional cost....
Those figures are percentages, not angles. Details matter.

The supposed flexibility is only available by cracking the box open to switch ramps, at which point you could just buy the appropriate ramps at the time you've decided to make the change. Seems like a waste of money in this application.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

By way of update I was advised over the weekend my old white 968 6 speed which was on TM ( http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-890513628.htm ) has now sold. The new owner sounds very happy with the car...
Old 06-07-2015, 08:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Those figures are percentages, not angles. Details matter.

The supposed flexibility is only available by cracking the box open to switch ramps, at which point you could just buy the appropriate ramps at the time you've decided to make the change. Seems like a waste of money in this application.
You are correct Matt. For the uninitiated the 40/60 refers to the % lock out/up. Depending on plate configuration there is a relationship between this and the "ramp angle".

If cost is a factor and it is unlikely you wish to alter the ramp angles in the future then I agree this is a worthless upgrade. However for convenience and cost (Guards ramps are proven and lower cost than factory parts) then installing a set of Guards billet ramps when clutch packing and lashing the diff I believe is a worthy investment. Others may obviously disagree.

Back to the original point, Pauls LSD is likely to need a rebuild as the factory clutch packs for the 993RS/996 GT3 etc were found lacking, wore quickly and proved limited pre load when tested after cars had spent a little time on the road or track (many say they were shot after 20-30,000km of road use depending on driving style!). If and when he needs to drop the engine/gearbox for other remedial work (synchro, selectors etc) then it would be worthwhile ordering some shims, the LSD bolts and a clutch pack from PMS or better yet (and likely cheaper IMO) a Guards clutch pack and having this installed to regain the full benefits of the LSD...

Here are a few notes I have on file that may help clarify the operation and a picture which gives an example to the ramp angle and % lock out in a specific application.

"Part of tuning a LSD is stack height which contributes w/ belleville selection to stack preload.

More preload increases the effectiveness of the LSD at all times because the normal force on the clutch discs is increased at all times, sometimes to too much. Modern practice is to use lower preloads so that the LSD isn't intrusive until you want it to be so. This is possible because of the ramps seen on the stub-axle protuding from the pinion-wheel, the ramps work as wedge forcing the two shells to move slightly apart and lock the differential in accordance with the number of clutch plates used, but only when power is applied either by the engine or the brakes. The 993 LSD shown in my first post is a 25/65, the steep ramp is the acceleration ramp, the gentler ramp is the brake or deceleration ramp, the gentler ramp allows the end shells to be forced further apart applying more limiting differential action under braking.

The rule of thumb is: the more the diff limits slippage, the more the car will tend to go straight or understeer - up to a point. On the power side, if enough torque is applied to spin both wheels, the car will snap into oversteer. This last is the reason manufacturers are loath to have LSD's as standard on their more mundane vehicles"
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2015, 08:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by sp1ked
This seems appropriately priced to me - http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=899104205 Still on Trademe now but I expect it's almost gone by now. Unless there's a history?? Anyone?
Sorry Glenn, no info on the car. I wouldn't bet it has gone yet as buyers can be lazy when travel is involved unless it's a bargain. Feel free to ask 964 questions, and more specifically C4, if you need to.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. The picture I added is not the picture referred to in the text (25/65 LSD). The text is to help understand the function of the LSD...
Old 06-07-2015, 09:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Sorry Glenn, no info on the car. I wouldn't bet it has gone yet as buyers can be lazy when travel is involved unless it's a bargain. Feel free to ask 964 questions, and more specifically C4, if you need to.
To me the "RS replica" 964 may be better value. Its been for sale a long while now and says "near offer" so assuming one could get it for high 40s and there were no stories it seems to have the better upgrades, clearly enthusiast owned, lower Kms, better? colour. Am I missing something here?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-897812961.htm
Old 06-07-2015, 09:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Glenn, just checked Carjam. Details are up to date so someone has searched it.

Looks like it is relatively unused. Odometer read 151,363 in May 2008.

Singapore new - not an issue for Porsche 964 based on both mine being ex Singapore.

Put aside maybe $10,000 for suspension and doing all of the likely deferred maintenance. Body looks good. You could do a lot worse. You just need to make sure what's there is working. Herman was a a series of surprises that never stopped giving. All good now, but you need to go in eyes open
Old 06-07-2015, 09:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

To me the "RS replica" 964 may be better value. Its been for sale a long while now and says "near offer" so assuming one could get it for high 40s and there were no stories it seems to have the better upgrades, clearly enthusiast owned, lower Kms, better? colour. Am I missing something here? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-897812961.htm
Yes, that's likely a smarter buy if you value all of the mods.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:39 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
Yes, that's likely a smarter buy if you value all of the mods.
But only if they are the mods you want. Why would you paint brake calipers an off white?! If the "adjustable suspension" was branded would it not be stated as such? Its arguably not a colour combo that has wider appeal? Nothing wrong with amethyst and linen, but together? Eye of the beholder i guess. Its does have a glowing speedo though...sorry, something about this car just doesn't work for me. But hey i'm not buying it
Old 06-07-2015, 09:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
But only if they are the mods you want. Why would you paint brake calipers an off white?! If the "adjustable suspension" was branded would it not be stated as such? Its arguably not a colour combo that has wider appeal? Nothing wrong with amethyst and linen, but together? Eye of the beholder i guess. Its does have a glowing speedo though...sorry, something about this car just doesn't work for me. But hey i'm not buying it
Yes I agree some of the mods aren't so tasteful. They aren't to difficult to rectify. I don't mind the exterior colour however. It's different and I saw a real 964RS in it once. It certainly isn't as "original" as the grey car but may make a good track rat or basis for hot rod project...
Old 06-07-2015, 11:00 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes I agree some of the mods aren't so tasteful. They aren't to difficult to rectify. I don't mind the exterior colour however. It's different and I saw a real 964RS in it once. It certainly isn't as "original" as the grey car but may make a good track rat or basis for hot rod project...
Paint colour looks good on that 'RS replica' I reckon and I quite like light-coloured interiors but first order of business should be getting the top of the dash done in black/deep charcoal or even that purple if need be. It must be almost undriveable at times with that thing reflecting in the windscreen.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:01 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

I too like the Amethyst only with a different interior, though not sure what I also happen to like Rubystone. Both great hues for their time and a great point of difference today.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I too like the Amethyst only with a different interior, though not sure what I also happen to like Rubystone. Both great hues for their time and a great point of difference today.
Ruby stone rocks!! Here is a Ruby stone 7.2 RS next to a 964 RS in same colour at the factory taken by Vivian (guitarist for def Leppard) onn 26 May...
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2015, 01:40 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Doug, new app is out. Is iPhone centric so doesn't fill my iPad screen properly but it is working.
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...obile-app.html

Macca, great photo. A part of me regrets not buying the Rubystone 964 tip cab that was on Trademe a while ago.

Last edited by nzskater; 06-08-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:10 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ruby stone rocks!! Here is a Ruby stone 7.2 RS next to a 964 RS in same colour at the factory taken by Vivian (guitarist for def Leppard) onn 26 May...
Now that's striking too - like that
think I would be happy with that on a pts

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?