Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 03:38 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Yeah I'm not mates these days with the CCS sales guys either. probably never was. Happens when you parallel import a new Porsche...

I find in life to build a strong relationship you need to face to face it and invest the time. I always buy lunch for sales/service guys, it helps. Id like to think I've been successful at building relationships, it seems to come easy when its something you are passionate about, I think that shows through to them too...
'Tis sad times when you have to buy the sales guy lunch
Old 06-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

If you are looking to acquire a used car of which there are few in NZ and zero for sale I think a lunch or two is a very modest investment personally to get the inside skinny and perhaps convince the dealer to make s few calls for you. Maybe I just do things differently but I've tried to build a repoire with a lot of folk in the industry over the years which helps when I need parts, service, crash repairs etc. it involves a few lunches. No problem i love talking cars hearing the gossip and I have to eat too!! i have a good relationship with Tony at CCS (get on very well with Rob Pegg but he's moved to Ferrari) and a few of the guys at Gillies but quite honestly they don't see me as business rightly after importing 4 Porsches in the last 14 years. I've only bought one car from them, the 993 from Tony at CCS in 2000...
Old 06-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I think we are all working towards being able to walk in to CCS and lay down some dollars for a car off the lot, or even a new one and not be bothered by the lowball trade price, depreciation and dealer margins. I would love to be able to do that on a regular basis in time. The free coffee will average out at about $5k per cup but it will taste good.
I remember the first time I got my first Porsche serviced at CCS. I took the day off work so I could savour the experience, and the thousand dollar cup of coffee.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Speaking of expensive coffee's, I've learnt when to take a free one and when not to;
Regular visits to the patent attorneys and a coffee on arrival, I soon figured out that it was costing me about $250 just to drink and chat so now it is straight to the point and a $4 flat white downstairs on my own afterwards.....
Old 06-08-2015, 07:14 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

If you are looking to acquire a used car of which there are few in NZ and zero for sale I think a lunch or two is a very modest investment personally to get the inside skinny and perhaps convince the dealer to make s few calls for you. Maybe I just do things differently but I've tried to build a repoire with a lot of folk in the industry over the years which helps when I need parts, service, crash repairs etc. it involves a few lunches. No problem i love talking cars hearing the gossip and I have to eat too!! i have a good relationship with Tony at CCS (get on very well with Rob Pegg but he's moved to Ferrari) and a few of the guys at Gillies but quite honestly they don't see me as business rightly after importing 4 Porsches in the last 14 years. I've only bought one car from them, the 993 from Tony at CCS in 2000...
I hear ya. My comment was tongue in cheek. I understand that sometimes when the market is against you a little wheel greasing can work a treat. When you treat it as a social occasion then its not a burden, particularly if you already have an existing relationship
Old 06-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Gotcha. Yeah I was mainly referring to networking a deal for a 7.1 GT3 or such like. Dave if you find yourself in a position to buy a new Porsche in the future I suggest upping the ante and taking that coffee and lunch at the factory during the European delivery!! I'm doubting I'll ever be in a position to buy a new Porsche in NZ - works against my MO of never paying retail lol...
Old 06-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Gotcha. Yeah I was mainly referring to networking a deal for a 7.1 GT3 or such like. Dave if you find yourself in a position to buy a new Porsche in the future I suggest upping the ante and taking that coffee and lunch at the factory during the European delivery!! I'm doubting I'll ever be in a position to buy a new Porsche in NZ - works against my MO of never paying retail lol...
Yeah, I never pay retail either and have never bought a car from a dealer, but it's getting harder to get motivated to shift the old stuff off and the tyre kickers that turn up. Rolling into a dealer and shipping out with some new metal an hour later on a sunny Saturday while leaving the old dog to them sounds quite appealing.
I actually get the guilts being a habitual tyre kicker in a flash car showroom.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yeah, I never pay retail either and have never bought a car from a dealer, but it's getting harder to get motivated to shift the old stuff off and the tyre kickers that turn up. Rolling into a dealer and shipping out with some new metal an hour later on a sunny Saturday while leaving the old dog to them sounds quite appealing.
I think it's a 'man' thing to feel guilty about browsing. Woman have no issue trying on clothes they have no intention of buying or even asking a waiter what's in a menu item when they have no intention of ordering it. With me each shopping trip is a surgical strike. In and out in five minutes. Except for cars, but I have more fun looking through the maintenance area at CCS than the show room.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:17 PM
PHG
Racer

Sure the peanut oil works to rejuvenate black rubber and plastic trim. I've found it works as well as Meguires Back To Black Although the later smells better! It's basically free though and seems to last a long time once the optimum level of nourishing and penetration has been reached. I've just realised this all sounds like a scene from Game of Thrones....
I use good old Johnsons baby oil..has the added benefit of not attracting insects too
Old 06-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I know the feeling. Ive been putting stuff on TM a few times these last 12 months. Whilst Ive moved most of the big ticket items first strike some of the smaller stuff Ive given up on re advertising. Its just such a painful process, people win then do not pay or you have to be at home for them and they no show. There is certainly something nice about driving into a main dealer, dropping off the old car picking up the new. My first Porsche purchase was the 993 14+ years ago and I enjoyed a great experience with Tony as my sales guy. They do know how to turn it on. Until the GT3 I hadnt experienced that feeling again...
Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I think it's a 'man' thing to feel guilty about browsing. Woman have no issue trying on clothes they have no intention of buying or even asking a waiter what's in a menu item when they have no intention of ordering it. With me each shopping trip is a surgical strike. In and out in five minutes. Except for cars, but I have more fun looking through the maintenance area at CCS than the show room.
Aptly put. 100% on the same page. I bet if you look at online shopping demographics men are spending at least as much as women online shopping - it removes the need to trawl a mall with all those uncouth people wearing stubbies with screaming children, the homeless and the loiterers, the parking, the seething masses congregating. I love online shopping. In the perfect world Id live in a massive warehouse with a mezzanne floor looking down on 4-5 choice automotive icons, a large downstairs kitchen with a workshop and big screen and have couriers drop off stuff to me. I would venture out for drives, track days and to visit others in their man caves or at cafes and I would never stop in a Mall again. I would manage some High Street Shopping on occasion when my loafers needed urgently replacing. High Street shopping seems to be a dying thing too...
Old 06-08-2015, 09:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
I use good old Johnsons baby oil..has the added benefit of not attracting insects too
Bet your old man taught you that trick for taking a few tenths on the front straight aye Phil :-) The Gilbert advantage Im sure they called it! Old Jim Clark probably would have found that funny...

I have just pre ordered the new book on the Tasman series from Octane Books. Pic below. It has race results etc. I'm sure there will be a few mentions of Len in there. looking forward to it!
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2015, 09:48 PM
Thesnowman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-899693483.htm

This will be an interesting sale. Not one for the traditional Porsche market

Haha

Facebook Post
Old 06-08-2015, 09:50 PM
savantx
Intermediate

Hi everyone, does anyone have any experience in fitting a rear facing baby capsule in the back of a 996 (Turbo)? I need to get a "maternity" car for my wife and a tiptronic 996 Turbo would be my preferred option. I've read around here with mixed outcome, CCS says I should fit one in the front which is not recommended.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Speaking of expensive coffee's, I've learnt when to take a free one and when not to;
Regular visits to the patent attorneys and a coffee on arrival, I soon figured out that it was costing me about $250 just to drink and chat so now it is straight to the point and a $4 flat white downstairs on my own afterwards.....
Had a chuckle at this and do the same now with lawyers etc.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?