Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 05:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
lol thats from mid 2014 and we were telling Paul back then to get a 997 GT3.... he's a slow learner that boy
I think we started selling Paul on the idea of the GT3 long before that post. Long before he even bought the 993...he was just waiting for the right deal maybe :-)
Old 06-08-2015, 05:49 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, the rubbers are fine, was going to use more as protectant but was worried about doing more harm than good.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes its surprising but it does that too (protect). Remember rubber and plastics are largely petroleum based products. Like Canaruba wax, and citronella oil sometimes natural extracts work better than you think (and save you parting your money) :-). John isnt known as a concourse guy, and I haven't groomed either of my 911s since 2011, so I should think Warwick is the go to guy here and its sounds like hes found the right product for removing the white polish residue which is a PITA
Old 06-08-2015, 06:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Changing the subject, I've been talking with a Rennlist contact re the SC kit on my car. He installed a SC kit on his car and just did a dyno run. He has been talking to SC about the numbers. Long story short, the power curve on his car is markedly stronger on the lower RPM, but runs out of puff at the upper end, achieving no more than an unmodified car at 6,000 rpm, then tailing off. He asked whether I had done my dyno. I replied no, but my sense was the same at the last track day...a bit flat in the high revs.

We've no idea why this is so different. No, I don't know if the same dyno, and I don't have AFRs.

Macca, any thoughts? SC thought it may be exhaust related e.g. a lack of CAT, but I have one.

BTW His trace is the Green line.
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2015, 06:08 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Great choice. Both are very nice old Skool flat blues that look great...

Ultraviolet is the RS colour in the CH video. Quite polarising by the looks of the feedback on the boards...just like ruby stone was in the day....
I like Ultraviolet, but I think it need dark grey wheels.
Also, I did wonder if Porsches inspiration comes from Jay Kays pre73 Carrera RS?
Old 06-08-2015, 06:10 AM
sp1ked
Instructor

Great feedback! Not the car for me however. I posted in case it had been missed by someone really wanting a 964. My first P car is definitely going to be older.

Mark @ridgeline911 checked out the Wellington one. He didn't drive it home which will give you a hint as to it's condition and representation.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Changing the subject, I've been talking with a Rennlist contact re the SC kit on my car. He installed a SC kit on his car and just did a dyno run. He has been talking to SC about the numbers. Long story short, the power curve on his car is markedly stronger on the lower RPM, but runs out of puff at the upper end, achieving no more than an unmodified car at 6,000 rpm, then tailing off. He asked whether I had done my dyno. I replied no, but my sense was the same at the last track day...a bit flat in the high revs. We've no idea why this is so different. No, I don't know if the same dyno, and I don't have AFRs. Macca, any thoughts? SC thought it may be exhaust related e.g. a lack of CAT, but I have one. BTW His trace is the Green line.
I've done over 30 runs on the dyno on the 993. Two different dynos in fact. I can read an AFR curve and a Torque curve etc but this chart makes no sense to me. Can you get a detailed before and after install set of curves for torque/hp/afr and the Sae correction would be nice. Don't want Crank calculated at loss ratio just straight raw RWHP figures be ok and I'll send it to my guru for some clue as to where the restriction is happening. I'd send you an example of what I'm looking for from my own runs bit I'm on the iPad so will have to wait till I'm on the PC. You can only advance timing so far after that you need to improve air in and air out I.e. Combustion. The restriction could be exhaust related (a lack of a Cat would probably be beneficial here?) or intake manifold/air box. However my gut feel from the abrupt flattening out of the curve and then power drop after 6000 rpm is that there is something wrong with the metering set up (air in) which is retarding timing. Alternatively knock control could be retarding timing due to heat. I don't think this is happening at exhaust end of the system? Matt may have a theory I'm sure he can add some value here.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:38 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

I think we started selling Paul on the idea of the GT3 long before that post. Long before he even bought the 993...he was just waiting for the right deal maybe :-)
lol i know I'm trying reverse psychology on him in the hope he sells it to me but so far its not working
Old 06-08-2015, 06:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

I've done over 30 runs on the dyno on the 993. Two different dynos in fact. I can read an AFR curve and a Torque curve etc but this chart makes no sense to me. Can you get a detailed before and after install set of curves for torque/hp/afr and the Sae correction would be nice. Don't want Crank calculated at loss ratio just straight raw RWHP figures be ok and I'll send it to my guru for some clue as to where the restriction is happening. I'd send you an example of what I'm looking for from my own runs bit I'm on the iPad so will have to wait till I'm on the PC. You can only advance timing so far after that you need to improve air in and air out I.e. Combustion. The restriction could be exhaust related (a lack of a Cat would probably be beneficial here?) or intake manifold/air box. However my gut feel from the abrupt flattening out of the curve and then power drop after 6000 rpm is that there is something wrong with the metering set up (air in) which is retarding timing. Alternatively knock control could be retarding timing due to heat. I don't think this is happening at exhaust end of the system? Matt may have a theory I'm sure he can add some value here.
That's all there is. I need to get Herman back on a dyno. Given the compromised results from the big machine I think I'll do AFR first. I'll ask Steve again for a used O2 plug I can attach to the wide band sensor I purchased.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
I like Ultraviolet, but I think it need dark grey wheels. Also, I did wonder if Porsches inspiration comes from Jay Kays pre73 Carrera RS?
Funny, I thought exact same thing when I first saw the colour too!! That was a rare colour for an RS. I think UV will not be so popular with the new RS but in 10 years time will be THE colour from the standard pallet range to buy.

Interesting they only offered 4 colours for the new 991 GT3RS. No easy stand outs either IMO. The big news is they opened PTS on the RS 10 days ago and 50% of the purchasers on RL are now owing paint to sample!!! This means there are going to be some great colours floating around to make up for the standard colours and at $5500 on a $200k USD car it's a great option IMO. If I were ordering a 991 RS for NZ absolutely without doubt I would order now they have made it available again!!!
Old 06-08-2015, 07:37 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
lol thats from mid 2014 and we were telling Paul back then to get a 997 GT3.... he's a slow learner that boy
Sad but true.

There where no 997.1's to buy? I'm not on the mates of CCS list, so even when the orange car sale fell over, after I sent 20 min's talking to the sales people after they sold it frist time around - no one called..........must of thought I was a dodgie tyre ticker??

And the 996 GT3 meant I could keep the 993.

James - anything is for sale at a price........................(err last time I played this game of chicken, I ended up selling the family home.......)
Old 06-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Sad but true.

There where no 997.1's to buy? I'm not on the mates of CCS list, so even when the orange car sale fell over, after I sent 20 min's talking to the sales people after they sold it frist time around - no one called..........must of thought I was a dodgie tyre ticker??

And the 996 GT3 meant I could keep the 993.

James - anything is for sale at a price........................(err last time I played this game of chicken, I ended up selling the family home.......)
Yeah I'm not mates these days with the CCS sales guys either. probably never was. Happens when you parallel import a new Porsche...

I find in life to build a strong relationship you need to face to face it and invest the time. I always buy lunch for sales/service guys, it helps. Id like to think I've been successful at building relationships, it seems to come easy when its something you are passionate about, I think that shows through to them too...

A few weeks ago I received this (from one of the folks in the picture). Like JKs RS I felt this may have been the inspiration for the Lava Orange on the 991 GT3RS. Apparently I'm told it was not but its a gorgeous 904 none the less. The photos depicts Gerd Porsche with his brother Butzi as Gerd received the 903 he's just bought from a dealer. Its circa 1982. Butzi was pivotal in designing the 904 exterior (as well as the 901). Enjoy...
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2015, 08:19 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
That's all there is. I need to get Herman back on a dyno. Given the compromised results from the big machine I think I'll do AFR first. I'll ask Steve again for a used O2 plug I can attach to the wide band sensor I purchased.
Yes check AFRs. Not a 964 expert but I'm with Macca in suspecting the ECU is pulling timing up high to protect the engine. Might be doing that to prevent detonation due to an overlean condition that only happens at those high revs eg if the fuel system has a failing fuel pump, pipe or valve. Or hopefully it's just something as simple as a clogged fuel filter.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:20 AM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Funny, I thought exact same thing when I first saw the colour too!! That was a rare colour for an RS. I think UV will not be so popular with the new RS but in 10 years time will be THE colour from the standard pallet range to buy.

Interesting they only offered 4 colours for the new 991 GT3RS. No easy stand outs either IMO. The big news is they opened PTS on the RS 10 days ago and 50% of the purchasers on RL are now owing paint to sample!!! This means there are going to be some great colours floating around to make up for the standard colours and at $5500 on a $200k USD car it's a great option IMO. If I were ordering a 991 RS for NZ absolutely without doubt I would order now they have made it available again!!!
I've just done the spec for my RS and have gone PTS. I'm doing the 997.1 RS Green. It's actually not viper green, but just called green.

Black wheels, black cage and black interior. It should stand out from the silver and white ones......
Old 06-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
I've just done the spec for my RS and have gone PTS. I'm doing the 997.1 RS Green. It's actually not viper green, but just called green.

Black wheels, black cage and black interior. It should stand out from the silver and white ones......
Wise move Matt. the stock colours are hard to swallow.

Black isnt even standard!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?