Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Catching the eye: water era Turbos versus older 911s

Originally Posted by nzskater
The newer cars don't seem to generate the same level of interest. The Turbo is mostly overlooked by others. Guess it needs more stance/noise, and perhaps a bit of Magnus hype
I can personally vouch for the attention that Lola and her air-cooled sisters get - down to thumbs ups from the Westie 90's Commodore crowd on the motorway. No, we don't get that same kind of attention - the odd star-struck lass or forecourt admirer excepted perhaps.

As for the Turbo being overlooked, I think that unless it's being driven with enthusiasm, those without a developed interest in cars can't pick Turbos and GTs out from the sea of Boxsters and Caymen (sic) , never mind other modern 911s. The wing doing it's thing perks some interest at times but that's about it for a factory spec car. They do probably get a fair bit of attention when the lights go green but those faces in the rear view mirror are shrinking so fast you'd never notice it.

As for stance, mine (and probably yours?) couldn't handle more for NZ roads - I haven't even bothered to fit my new lip yet because it'll be a quarter shorter before you can say boo. Might throw it on just for Tuesday track come to think of it.

That leaves the look and the exhaust. Most of my 996T choice was based on performance potential but I also like her clean looks, so getting the wheels repainted (they were the same browny black as brake dust when I got her) was about my limit there. When I first got them done I did notice people checking out the wheels at lights (seriously!) but it was really done just for my own pleasure. May go mad and colour match the seat backs one day too as she is still all metropol blue leather inside.

So the biggest character boost she got on my watch was the better part of 100hp and an improved exhaust. I chose the latter more for performance than for loudness, but those tend to come together. Tested at 98dB she just squeaks in as road legal for an exposed rear engined car (though I tend to idle around the boys in blue). I still remember rushing out to the balcony as I heard her turn into my street when Contis dropped her back to me. I'll admit that I really missed the rumble of my old 928 (with a muffler hole I just may not have got around to fixing) and that it was one of very few areas the Turbo didn't excel in.

To be brutally honest, on returning she sounded great from outside but you'd get dragged before the human rights commission if you inflicted the accompanying interior resonant drone on any living person for more than 20 minutes. For a week I was driving her to work with noise cancelling earbuds. We had a PCNZ backroads family run for lunch in Hamilton coming up the next weekend though, and it wasn't looking like a goer. So I researched the problem, got at the rear firewall and parcel shelf and applied a small quantity of Dynamat (about half a door kit) in the right places: meaning concentrated towards the middle of any large resonant surfaces since Dynamat works mostly by mass damping rather than acoustic isolation. Sorted the drone and we sliced down the backroads to arrive third in the lead convoy of 5 Turbos, with the kids taking it in turns sleeping in the back and my wife eventually just getting a bit green around the gills from the twisties rather than any drone. Since the upgrade I've also never needed to beep the horn at traffic light slumberers since a pat of the accelerator seems to do wonders.

Were I single, I suppose I might find she didn't pull quite as well as an older 911 (dragstrip aside of course). An untested assumption but most pedestrians or drivers who do double-takes seem to find her more awesome - or even intimidating - than cute. That comes with advantages though, like clearing the fast lane.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:53 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Nice spot! Yes, bit like air-coolers and water-coolers; had my Nelson eye on. Just got away for an overnight at Oneroa. Nice SW out and a SE back. Too lazy to get the Genny out.

Must hook up some time.
the cruising main looks a bit tatty...
Old 04-22-2015, 10:30 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
The lack of bandwidth in Samoa is driving me nuts. I'll watch this over the weekend. Is this the same race Chris Harris was in?
Yip, the same channel has other full races from the same meeting.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:23 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Interesting notes Walter, all correct. I should follow up on my comment to say that I enjoy the anonymity, and have no desire to be easily spotted amongst the masses.

Regarding stance; I lowered my car about 20mm via GMG springs, about 15,000km ago, and have had no real issue with either daily driving or touring. The more aggressive front lip has also been trouble free. I guess I have been a little more careful when traversing the seemingly endless speed bumps around Auckland, but am yet to hear the dreaded scrape so often experienced by the rummy old Integras I see blasting around on cut springs on a Friday (I swear some of the drivers look familiar...). I would love a set of after market wheels, but just can't justify spending close to $10k on something that is purely aesthetic. Would rather an extra months snowboarding in the Northern hemisphere in any given year!

Now that I have all the small bugs ironed out (yeah right, now looking at replacement front LCA's and a flex disc for the drive shaft), I can finally start thinking about an exhaust & tune. Now looking at a Kline exhaust, alongside a Cobb Access Port for tuning purposes. Realistically the car generates more than enough power, but the temptation for more is always there.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:31 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Now that I have all the small bugs ironed out (yeah right, now looking at replacement front LCA's and a flex disc for the drive shaft), I can finally start thinking about an exhaust & tune. Now looking at a Kline exhaust, alongside a Cobb Access Port for tuning purposes. Realistically the car generates more than enough power, but the temptation for more is always there.
FYI I was looking at the Champion Motorsport web site last night and they have done extensive tuning on 997 turbo you should take a look
Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I have been a little more careful when traversing the seemingly endless speed bumps around Auckland, but am yet to hear the dreaded scrape so often experienced by the rummy old Integras I see blasting around on cut springs on a Friday (I swear some of the drivers look familiar...). ... Now looking at a Kline exhaust, alongside a Cobb Access Port for tuning purposes. Realistically the car generates more than enough power, but the temptation for more is always there.
You never think you really need more hp until you have it, and then there's no way you'd want to give it up again. I'm picking you'll love it. Knew Cobb are huge with GTRs etc but I didn't realise they did Turbos too now.

Actually, we're yet to hit a speed bump (I have made the bogan swerve an ingrained habit to the point where people look at me oddly when I also swerve the allroad or MPV over them), but certain driveways and one-lane bridges are good at taking their pound of flesh.

There is also a small parking garage just off Mayoral Drive (opposite a corner hotel) which had me backing up a train of 4 or 5 cars as there was no way - even angled - that she'd get into the covered parking entry without snow-ploughing through the concrete. Think I ended up entering via the exit instead, and - yes - got THOSE looks from all involved.

A Wilson carpark near the Viaduct also has some severe ramp angles and the only way not to beach her coming off the top of the ramps between levels was to stab the accelerator each time to lift the front a bit. Luckily no-one was around as I'm sure they'd have thought I was just setting car alarms off for the fun of it. The afterlife must hold special treats for the people that signed off on the design of some of those parking buildings.

I'm only embarrassed in the Integra when I don't have my black cap on sideways...
Old 04-23-2015, 12:43 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
FYI I was looking at the Champion Motorsport web site last night and they have done extensive tuning on 997 turbo you should take a look
I would be very interested to read the article, do you have a link? Have seen a couple of articles on their site (both on the 997.2 Turbo S platform), but nothing recent.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
You never think you really need more hp until you have it, and then there's no way you'd want to give it up again. I'm picking you'll love it. Knew Cobb are huge with GTRs etc but I didn't realise they did Turbos too now.

Actually, we're yet to hit a speed bump (I have made the bogan swerve an ingrained habit to the point where people look at me oddly when I also swerve the allroad or MPV over them), but certain driveways and one-lane bridges are good at taking their pound of flesh.

There is also a small parking garage just off Mayoral Drive (opposite a corner hotel) which had me backing up a train of 4 or 5 cars as there was no way - even angled - that she'd get into the covered parking entry without snow-ploughing through the concrete. Think I ended up entering via the exit instead, and - yes - got THOSE looks from all involved.

A Wilson carpark near the Viaduct also has some severe ramp angles and the only way not to beach her coming off the top of the ramps between levels was to stab the accelerator each time to lift the front a bit. Luckily no-one was around as I'm sure they'd have thought I was just setting car alarms off for the fun of it. The afterlife must hold special treats for the people that signed off on the design of some of those parking buildings.

I'm only embarrassed in the Integra when I don't have my black cap on sideways...
When you have a lapse and end up taking the spoiler out, then have I got a deal for you on Tardme...
Old 04-23-2015, 01:08 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Was behind that nice black 964 C2 out west this afternoon, looks really tidy too.
Recaro race seat, debadged and just complied by the looks, JBB***
Old 04-23-2015, 01:28 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
Great work Chris. I'm available from Sat if you want to take a look together. Maybe we see if we can use Tony's runway later in 2015 or preferably summer 2016 for some Vmax runs. That would be fun and something I'm sure the owner would be interested in himself. He owns a race team afterall :-)

The expo centre is sounding like the best option for us.
Soooo I spoke with the guy that handles the Expo centre... They have had some issues of late with other cars club and are considering options going forward. Apparently neighbours have been complaining about burn outs etc... They have a board meeting on Tuesday where this topic is being raised and he said they will hopefully have a plan after that on its availability.... So not promising, but not yet a No!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
Was behind that nice black 964 C2 out west this afternoon, looks really tidy too.
Recaro race seat, debadged and just complied by the looks, JBB***
That will be Mike. He's more interested in taking motorbikes to the track than the C2, but I'm not giving up hope we will see the car at HD one day.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
Soooo I spoke with the guy that handles the Expo centre... They have had some issues of late with other cars club and are considering options going forward. Apparently neighbours have been complaining about burn outs etc... They have a board meeting on Tuesday where this topic is being raised and he said they will hopefully have a plan after that on its availability.... So not promising, but not yet a No!
Thanks for the update Chris. If you speak with them again let them know at the price of rubber for our steeds we are unlikely to be doing donuts :-). Lets hope there is a favourable outcome to their meeting....
Old 04-23-2015, 04:08 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Driving past the uni on Symonds today was the first time ever I caught a woman admiring my car. She also caught me admiring her resulting a shared smirk through the glass... and then it was back to reality meeting with Spark. :/

So I recall scattered conversation about possibly hitting the playday on the 27th. Anyone planning on going still - the thought of doing some warmups with BB appeals.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Driving past the uni on Symonds today was the first time ever I caught a woman admiring my car. She also caught me admiring her resulting a shared smirk through the glass... and then it was back to reality meeting with Spark. :/ So I recall scattered conversation about possibly hitting the playday on the 27th. Anyone planning on going still - the thought of doing some warmups with BB appeals.
Chris. I have booked the 27th. I'm probably committing a cardinal sin looking at the weather forecast - tempting fate! I think I'll be taking it very easy given first time driving for a long while and remembering the lake across the front straight...
Old 04-23-2015, 04:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Driving past the uni on Symonds today was the first time ever I caught a woman admiring my car. She also caught me admiring her resulting a shared smirk through the glass... and then it was back to reality meeting with Spark. :/ So I recall scattered conversation about possibly hitting the playday on the 27th. Anyone planning on going still - the thought of doing some warmups with BB appeals.
I could be persuaded. I wouldn't mind some time in the Integras. I could bring out BB2. BB is already out there.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?